Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Fuel surcharges magically doubled this morning

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 1, 2011, 7:59 am
Original Poster

The fuel surcharge on YUL-NRT-YUL has been at 262$ (or 282? Can't remember) for weeks now and the prices haven't changed a penny since I started shopping 6 weeks ago, and then bam!

This morning it's at 406.76$

What the effing hell kinda bad april's fools joke is that?

*books on AA*
Old Apr 1, 2011, 8:04 am

Programs: FT
Originally Posted by kaylla334
The fuel surcharge on YUL-NRT-YUL has been at 262$ (or 282? Can't remember) for weeks now and the prices haven't changed a penny since I started shopping 6 weeks ago, and then bam!

This morning it's at 406.76$

What the effing hell kinda bad april's fools joke is that?

*books on AA*
that seems to be back to pre april 2009 level before the fan fare of them dropping it.
Old Apr 1, 2011, 12:20 pm

Programs: AC 75K
What a bunch of garbage. Crude oil bumps up $2/bbl, and that translates to an extra $200+ for a flight.
Old Apr 1, 2011, 12:52 pm

wow. that's insanely expensive.
Old Apr 1, 2011, 1:07 pm
Suspended

Programs: AC*SE,SPG Platinum,HHounours Gold, FairmontPlat
uhhhmmmm like that's a big surprise?
Old Apr 1, 2011, 1:11 pm

Programs: Aeroplan Super Elite
total surcharges YHZ to LHR (5 hour flight) are $550. Total return cost, $1400 in economy....
see me fly on pass to boston and fly AA in J for 1500 return. Only way to complain I guess is by booking somewhere else.
Old Apr 1, 2011, 1:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*1K MM
looks like they listened to us complaining that the fuel surcharges to Asia were lower than to Europe and it made no sense distance based.

I am glad AC listens to their customers
Old Apr 1, 2011, 1:32 pm

It's all a game. However, you should feel free to join in: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/milea...ge-thread.html
Old Apr 1, 2011, 1:36 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by rehoult
It's all a game. However, you should feel free to join in: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/milea...ge-thread.html
Lol I have no idea what this thread does/what we're supposed to say in there.

I've tried over and over again to read a couple pages and I have exactly 0 idea what to do ^
Old Apr 1, 2011, 2:08 pm

Originally Posted by drdisaster
total surcharges YHZ to LHR (5 hour flight) are $550. Total return cost, $1400 in economy....
see me fly on pass to boston and fly AA in J for 1500 return. Only way to complain I guess is by booking somewhere else.
AC and BA YQ on YYZ-LHR is now $330. Well, BA YQ is actually $314 but its accompanied by a $16 Security and Insurance charge rounding it off at that magical $330.

The increase of oil prices does, of course, warrants the approximately $80 increase on the fuel cost of each seat, compared to December ($250). After all, we all understand that the 20 % oil prices ( mid $90s to mid 110s) translates into a 33% in fuel costs for airlines.

And the nearly identical YQ's of two 'competitors' operating on the same route are proof of that. Could this be price-fixing? Not a chance.

Yeah, looks like supply to our country is so heavily constrained (relative to demand) that airlines can charge what they want and get away with it. AC prefers it that way, given that their fleet "expansion" is, well, modest (I m being polite) compared to other international airlines. It actually looks more like a renewal than an expansion, but, you know - Canadians don't actually like travelling. God knows consumer numbers in Canada won't go up if prices go down. We're different that way.

We might as well rejig our national anthem to reflect whats going on:

Air Canada, we stand on guard for thee.
Old Apr 1, 2011, 8:42 pm

http://www.aircanada.com/en/agents_n...rge_110321.pdf

AC document to agents on new fuel surcharges to central america
Old Apr 1, 2011, 8:49 pm

Programs: AC*E35 and decreasing
South America also doubled. The surcharge YQR-EZE was around 320 two weeks ago, and since a few days ago it is 640.

And they are so cocky that they are advertising EZE as cheap (at $1800 rt, which appears a $1000 in their ad) in their last email! Insane
Old Apr 1, 2011, 8:55 pm

Programs: AC*E35 and decreasing
Originally Posted by CZBB
http://www.aircanada.com/en/agents_n...rge_110321.pdf

AC document to agents on new fuel surcharges to central america
The figures in that document are not accurate (anymore?). I just started a booking YQR-EZE, and the fuel surcharge is $400.
Old Apr 1, 2011, 9:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC*SE 2MM
Of special note all of the "new" higher fuel surcharges for "Premium" travel. One more way of reducing the value of J awards and encouraging us to buy Y fares and upgrading instead of paying a premium surcharge.
Old Apr 1, 2011, 10:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by The Lev
Of special note all of the "new" higher fuel surcharges for "Premium" travel. One more way of reducing the value of J awards and encouraging us to buy Y fares and upgrading instead of paying a premium surcharge.
Two questions:

1. What is premium? I have noticed that at least for some routes, "surchargges" on latitude fares are the same as on Z/D/C/J.

2. Are the tariffs posted on aircanada.com consistent with current surcharges? (Admittedly on surcharges the documents is absolutely unreadeable. So not sure.)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.