E-readers (Kindle, Kobo, etc...)

Old Feb 27, 2011, 4:21 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Aeroplan, Marriott Gold, HH Diamond, Delta Gold
E-readers (Kindle, Kobo, etc...)

I have noticed recently that I am not being asked to put away my e-reader during taxi / take-off / landing on AC flights. Does anyone know if this is "willful blindness", or have I (and others) just been lucky?

(On Jazz flights however, they've asked me to stow it)
Old Feb 27, 2011, 4:39 pm

Programs: AC*SE; AC 2MM; Marriott Platinum Elite
You got lucky.
Old Feb 27, 2011, 5:18 pm

Ive had mixed results. Better luck when the reader is in it's cover looking more like a book though
Old Feb 27, 2011, 5:40 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by dcottom
Ive had mixed results. Better luck when the reader is in it's cover looking more like a book though
Good point. Must get on that!
Old Feb 27, 2011, 8:50 pm
QNX

It depends on the FA.. I have mixed experience..

sometimes, I tell them that I already turned 3G, and it works..

I think the main concern is if there is any accident while landing that it will be flying around inside the plane.. I mean it is light already, but still harder than a paperback book ..
Old Feb 27, 2011, 9:06 pm

Programs: AC E
Even if they don't specifically mention it, I'm pretty sure it counts as an "electronic device," which must be switched off.
Old Feb 28, 2011, 4:28 am

Programs: AC SE
Originally Posted by klparrot
Even if they don't specifically mention it, I'm pretty sure it counts as an "electronic device," which must be switched off.
Of course nothing ever really switches off (well they do! But most people just sleep the devices) so it is a moot point. The kindle and other devices with an eink screen are interesting in that the display will keep its image even when the unit is completely powered down, so it is a matter of rules failing to keep up with technology.

Remember laws and regulations tend to be about ten years behind the technology.
Old Feb 28, 2011, 9:30 am

Programs: NEXUS; alas, no status anymore.
Originally Posted by hjohnson
Of course nothing ever really switches off (well they do! But most people just sleep the devices) so it is a moot point. The kindle and other devices with an eink screen are interesting in that the display will keep its image even when the unit is completely powered down, so it is a matter of rules failing to keep up with technology.
Technically that's true, but as soon as you turn the device off or into sleep mode, a screen saver is activated. If you have interesting stuff to read on the screen, the device is absolutely powered up.

The real issue I have is cellular + WiFi. I'm sure lots of people who have these devices have no idea they can or should turn connectivity off.
Old Feb 28, 2011, 10:56 am

Programs: UA 50K, refugee from AC E50K, Marriott Lifetime Plat
Mixed results with my iPad.

On the cell phone thing, I'm pretty sure I'm not the only guy who has ever forgotten to turn the Blackberry off before boarding. (I don't have any issue with turning it off mind you.) I do mind though that I'm not able to read my book during takeoff / landing becuase some FA insists that I turn my iPad off.
Old Feb 28, 2011, 11:06 am

still waiting for the ipad2 to come out!
Old Feb 28, 2011, 11:10 am
Original Poster

While I get that it is a potential projectile during an emergency situation, its no worse then a hard cover book. The wireless component to it has been shown time and again on this board by experts in the area to be a non-issue. Come on AC get with the times!
Old Feb 28, 2011, 12:07 pm

Originally Posted by global_happy_traveller
still waiting for the ipad2 to come out!
I'll have had a good year on my iPad by the time the 2 is out. It's a frequent traveler's best friend. It's great for killing time if you have to spend a lot of time alone, and great for planning activities. I keep an American SIM activated year round so that I have connectivity the moment I hit a US airport.
Old Feb 28, 2011, 12:10 pm

Originally Posted by RCyyz
On the cell phone thing, I'm pretty sure I'm not the only guy who has ever forgotten to turn the Blackberry off before boarding. (I don't have any issue with turning it off mind you.) I do mind though that I'm not able to read my book during takeoff / landing becuase some FA insists that I turn my iPad off.
As much as I love the iPad and Kindle, I read a paper book on board aircraft. Dropping it won't break it, and I can read it anytime I want.

eBook readers are great for longer trips or if you read a ton and finish your paper book.
Old Feb 28, 2011, 12:17 pm

Programs: UA 50K, refugee from AC E50K, Marriott Lifetime Plat
Originally Posted by PhotoJim
As much as I love the iPad and Kindle, I read a paper book on board aircraft. Dropping it won't break it, and I can read it anytime I want.
Very true. I read a lot though, so carrying 1 iPad for me beats carrying 2 books (for TATL) or 3 books (for TPAC). Plus I can play games and stuff on the iPad too. But having an unbreakable old-fashioned book has it's merits.
Old Feb 28, 2011, 2:29 pm

Originally Posted by RCyyz
Very true. I read a lot though, so carrying 1 iPad for me beats carrying 2 books (for TATL) or 3 books (for TPAC). Plus I can play games and stuff on the iPad too. But having an unbreakable old-fashioned book has it's merits.
A paper book plus an iPad FTW then.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.