Go Back   FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Sign in using an external account

Old Jan 19, 11, 12:15 pm   #1

Programs: Aeroplan
Air Canada Award Chart

I was looking at the flight reward chart for AC on the aeroplan site today and noticed Asia is listed 75k for y and 115k for j. I thought maybe they had increased the cost for j but the Star Alliance page still says 100k for j.

Does this mean if you booked j seats from NA on 100% AC flights you would not only pay all the extra taxes/fees but they would also charge you 15k more points?

I'm not doing this, just wondering what the 115k is all about.
tryinginvain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 19, 11, 12:19 pm   #2

Programs: AC*E, Delta G, SPG Platinum, Marriott Platinum, Hertz President's Circle
you are correct! But if you have any AC/STAR flights combined, its only 100k. I dont understand why AC would do this..especially when J is better on other airlines and you could book a F ticket for 120k
bichoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 19, 11, 12:52 pm   #3
Moderator, Air Canada

Programs: AC E75, SPG Plat, HH peon-by-choice (ex Gold)
They do it because 90% of the folks redeeming for an award have no idea about the lower cost for a *A award, let alone knowledge of even being able to add *A partners and multiple stopovers.
Braindrain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 19, 11, 1:19 pm   #4

Programs: AC E; UA 2P; SPG Gold; A3 Blue; AA Silver
Quote:
Originally Posted by Braindrain View Post
They do it because 90% of the folks redeeming for an award have no idea about the lower cost for a *A award, let alone knowledge of even being able to add *A partners and multiple stopovers.
Exactly. Most people think "Oh, Aeroplan, I'll redeem it for an Air Canada flight.". They then look at Air Canada's route map and pick the most exotic location.

Then there are the CC megamilers...you see their names on the weekly redemption banner on aeroplan.com...Michael from ON redeemed 12 tickets to Frankfurt etc.!
DaveTO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 19, 11, 1:25 pm   #5

Programs: AC*E, Delta G, SPG Platinum, Marriott Platinum, Hertz President's Circle
haha..agreed! I feel bad for those who get suckered into this!
bichoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 19, 11, 1:27 pm   #6

Programs: Via Preference Privilege, AC*A, Fairmont Plat, SPG Gold
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveTO View Post
Exactly. Most people think "Oh, Aeroplan, I'll redeem it for an Air Canada flight.". They then look at Air Canada's route map and pick the most exotic location.

Then there are the CC megamilers...you see their names on the weekly redemption banner on aeroplan.com...Michael from ON redeemed 12 tickets to Frankfurt etc.!
Yes but Michael should be happy, those 12 tickets to FRA with $7800 in taxes and fees earns another 7800 aeroplan miles towards free flights Circle of life...
will5404 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 19, 11, 1:35 pm   #7

Programs: AA DL UA SU
Quote:
I was one of those "Oh, Aeroplan" people until I found Flyertalk!
ratatouille is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 19, 11, 3:26 pm   #8
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*1K, A3*G, AS MVPG, BA Bronze, CX Gold, IHG Plat, Marriott Gold, SPG Gold,Carlson Gold,Choice Gold
Quote:
Its not just Aeroplan.
At least Aeroplan pulls up Star options in most searches (even though it preferences the fuel surcharge ripoff AC flights.

95% of people on United have no idea that there even is Star Alliance, and think that what shows up online (UA/US/CO) is end all of availability, and end up spending double miles for crappy UA flights.
Old Jan 19, 11, 6:15 pm   #9

Programs: AC SE, Hertz 5*, Avis 1st, FPC Plat, SPG Gold, HY Plt, HH Gold, Delta Hotels Plt
IIRC several years ago bestof2k9 posted that there were some differences between AC and *A redemptions. For example, on an AC redemption changes could be made after departure that would not be allowed on a *A reward (although IIRC there was a post lately that indicated that *A reward bookings were about to become more flexible). I think there were some other "advantages" to AC bookings over *A but can't remember what they were.
YEG USER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 19, 11, 7:27 pm   #10

Programs: AC SE100K, HH G
Quote:
Originally Posted by bichoo View Post
you are correct! But if you have any AC/STAR flights combined, its only 100k. I dont understand why AC would do this..especially when J is better on other airlines and you could book a F ticket for 120k
The rationale is that AC J is AC's "top" class, and J on other airlines is second from top. Theoretically that makes AC's J more "better" than that of three-class airlines; in practice, it's sometimes true and sometimes not.

But most here will agree that the *A awards are much better value (both for mileage cost and fuel surcharges), and can in any case be combined with AC J segments as well.
Old Jan 19, 11, 7:49 pm   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by YEG USER View Post
IIRC several years ago bestof2k9 posted that there were some differences between AC and *A redemptions. For example, on an AC redemption changes could be made after departure that would not be allowed on a *A reward (although IIRC there was a post lately that indicated that *A reward bookings were about to become more flexible). I think there were some other "advantages" to AC bookings over *A but can't remember what they were.
As of last month you can now change your routing on a *A reward booking post departure. That was one of the biggest limitations when booking *A and thankfully that has been resolved.
Chp129 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 19, 11, 10:44 pm   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chp129 View Post
As of last month you can now change your routing on a *A reward booking post departure. That was one of the biggest limitations when booking *A and thankfully that has been resolved.
That is great news ! I had missed that change.

If anyone can point me to the thread(s) discussing this change it would be much appreciated.

Thanks very much.
thebobmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 19, 11, 10:52 pm   #13
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: CX Diamond, AC*SE, FB Ivory
Quote:
Originally Posted by bichoo View Post
I dont understand why AC would do this..especially when J is better on other airlines and you could book a F ticket for 120k
And in many cases with AE miles, it is also easier to redeem J awards on other *A carriers than something on an AC metal. Often, you need Extra Access Flight Rewards to get something on a direct J flight operated by an AC metal and the number of mileages required for these will have your jaws dropping.
Rejuvenated is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 20, 11, 12:23 am   #14
Suspended

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, Fairmont Platinum, Aeroplan Diamond, HHonors Gold, SPG Gold
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rejuvenated View Post
And in many cases with AE miles, it is also easier to redeem J awards on other *A carriers than something on an AC metal. Often, you need Extra Access Flight Rewards to get something on a direct J flight operated by an AC metal and the number of mileages required for these will have your jaws dropping.
For awhile, it seemed easier to book Hawaii on *A metal, than AC metal as well.
Ancien Maestro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 20, 11, 1:44 am   #15

Programs: CX Gold, AC Tangerine, SPG Gold, Starbucks Gold
TATL:

AC J = 85,000 miles
*A J = 80,000

More creeping inflation...
Air Koryo is offline   Reply With Quote