Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Question: Can an AC gate agent not give you their name?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Question: Can an AC gate agent not give you their name?

Search this Thread

Old Oct 22, 2010, 5:02 am
Original Poster

Programs: AC SE100K
Can an AC gate agent not give you their name?

I was flying FRA - YYZ yesterday when I had a "discussion" with the gate agents (nothing threatening or abusive by either party). When I said that they weren't wearing name badges (one had an airport ID badge, but facing inwards, the other nothing at all) and could I have their names please, I was told "I don't have to tell you my name".

They were in AC clothes, as gate agents for an AC metal flight. The more senior one eventually did give me her name, but can she really not provide a name to a passenger when there has been a disagreement?

Edited - tried to edit thread title ... should be "their names"

Last edited by lostinthewash; Oct 22, 2010 at 5:03 am Reason: typo
Old Oct 22, 2010, 5:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE 2MM; UA MP Premier Silver; Marriott Bonvoy LT Titanium Elite; Radisson; Avis PC
Originally Posted by lostinthewash
I was flying FRA - YYZ yesterday when I had a "discussion" with the gate agents (nothing threatening or abusive by either party). When I said that they weren't wearing name badges (one had an airport ID badge, but facing inwards, the other nothing at all) and could I have their names please, I was told "I don't have to tell you my name".

They were in AC clothes, as gate agents for an AC metal flight. The more senior one eventually did give me her name, but can she really not provide a name to a passenger when there has been a disagreement?

Edited - tried to edit thread title ... should be "their names"
Unless there's something I don't know about, this sounds about right - it has been like this for... a very long time (as an actual rule - union thing I believe)!
Old Oct 22, 2010, 5:21 am

Programs: AC E; Marriott Platinum
It's for security reasons. You could always describe the person/location/date where an incident occurred if you had a complaint
Old Oct 22, 2010, 6:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
Sorry - I don't buy that "for security reasons" line.

I had a disagreement with a UA check in agent at YYZ, and I got the same thing - said she wouldn't give me her name. However, once I explained the situation to the station manager the next day, and without me having to even describe the agent, they knew who it was. Most of the UA staff at YYZ are great .

While I guess they are not required to give customers their name, not doing so would also give the customer stronger evidence that the agent is in fact, wrong. If the agent is in the right, why are they afraid about a complaint?
Old Oct 22, 2010, 6:43 am

i would just use... Gate #, Flight # and description of the GA
Old Oct 22, 2010, 7:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AF Platinum, EK Gold, AA EXP, UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by DaveTO
It's for security reasons. You could always describe the person/location/date where an incident occurred if you had a complaint
I don't buy the "security reason" line either. But totally consistent with a "customer is the enemy" attitude.
If it is such a security issue, why do agents with numerous other airlines wear name tags?
Old Oct 22, 2010, 7:19 am

It's not a "ooooo terrorists" security reason, it's a personal security reason. I've discussed this with FAs before: they get stalked. They are allowed to have full name, first name only, a fake name, or no nametag at all. Describing their location and job role is sufficient for feedback, and gives them a comfort level because they don't know you.

Asking to speak with the station manager, or sending followup customer feedback, is absolutely the best route and does get traced to real people.
Old Oct 22, 2010, 7:28 am

"Last name's Business, first name's Nunoyer"
Old Oct 22, 2010, 7:33 am

Programs: star alliance gold
can one take a photo of the agent?
Old Oct 22, 2010, 7:38 am

Originally Posted by frostie
can one take a photo of the agent?
Legally yes, but that's *really* unlikely to help their attitude toward you and your concerns. Better off taking notes, to be honest. Photos, especially after a discussion where you disagreed, can make the photo subject feel attacked or harassed, and that's not a good dynamic to be a part of when discussing travel and airport security.

http://www.photojunkie.ca/archive/20...-photographer/
Old Oct 22, 2010, 7:38 am

Programs: TK*G, Delta Gold
I understand the privacy concern of giving the full name (although I have to give them my full name as well, right)... So what about the number on their badge?

*Story on the side: I had trouble with a GA recently and I asked for her identification. I was calm and polite, she was not. She told me she will only identify herself towards the police. Since law was on my side in the matter itself and I had time, I indeed came back with an officer two minutes later. When she saw us walking towards the gate she literally ran off - leaving the gate to her colleague for a "quick break" and wasn't seen anymore that day. Not to mention that I filed a complaint with both, airport and airline. The officer then supported as a witness and provided his badge number for identification purpose. Results pending...
Old Oct 22, 2010, 7:39 am

Programs: AC*SE/2.1MM, Flying Blue Explorer, BA Executive Club Blue, AAdvantage Basic, ANA MC
Originally Posted by SFO777
I don't buy the "security reason" line either.
Really ? Why not ?

What about stuff posted in this forum no later than 06OCT 2010:

"Got back to the airport, but for the Maple Leaf lounge I would have probably went postal. I was blatantly lied to by numerous agents, however 1 or 2 also did try to help."

"At that time I could have killed that agent."

Some would say: "But surely the poster doesn't REALLY mean that !?"........hmmmmmmm.........who knows.

You don't need names. Time and place, gate and flight numbers and BP notations would be sufficient for AC to determine which of its employees were involved in a situation with a customer, IF the customer chose to file a complaint.
Old Oct 22, 2010, 7:44 am

Programs: AC*SE/2.1MM, Flying Blue Explorer, BA Executive Club Blue, AAdvantage Basic, ANA MC
Originally Posted by cam_macleod
They are allowed to have full name, first name only, a fake name, or no nametag at all.
I like the SD who I flew with on YYZ-LHR back in 2005. Goes by the pseudonym "Bob Loblaw".

Like he told me: say it fast and repeatedly !
Old Oct 22, 2010, 7:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AF Platinum, EK Gold, AA EXP, UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by NordsFan
Really ? Why not ?
What about stuff posted in this forum no later than 06OCT 2010:
"Got back to the airport, but for the Maple Leaf lounge I would have probably went postal. I was blatantly lied to by numerous agents, however 1 or 2 also did try to help."
"At that time I could have killed that agent."

Some would say: "But surely the poster doesn't REALLY mean that !?"........hmmmmmmm.........who knows.
If it is such a security risk, why do employees at other airlines not have a problem wearing name tags? Then again, perhaps it's an AC thing, fostered by a different corporate culture where the customer does not come first.
Old Oct 22, 2010, 7:48 am

Programs: AC SE100K, HH G
Originally Posted by NordsFan
You don't need names. Time and place, gate and flight numbers and BP notations would be sufficient for AC to determine which of its employees were involved in a situation with a customer, IF the customer chose to file a complaint.
Employee number (or equivalent) would probably be the right piece of information -- uniquely identifies the employee but does not expose any personal information.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.