Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

RANT: "Oh, no points because of operating carrier fare class"

Old Sep 9, 2010, 2:36 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AC*E, HH*G

Flew YYZ-HKG-SIN-HKG-YYZ in June. Sold on a single AC e-Ticket with AC flight numbes on all segments. No fare class information listed on e-Ticket receipt, or itinerary/invoice.

Missing miles submission on the Aeroplan website in mid July for HKG-SIN-HKG on SQ disappear into a black hole. Finally call in to the Elite line. "Oh, those are Singapore Airlines fare class (whatever) so don't give miles." OK, that I understand, that's the way it is, I have no problem with that.

Anyway, what annoyed me was that I went through and explained that, OK I understand why they aren't being credited, but no where in the buying, checking, or boarding flow was it ever highlighted that these might not be accrual segments! Then it was topped off with the agent being more than slightly condescending about how I "have to understand how this all works."

I do understand how it all works. I accept the reality as to why I'm not getting miles for these flights -- my gripe that no where was the information (the raw operating carrier's fare class information for codeshare segments sold as AC flights) made available to me in order to make this determination ahead of time. Instead, it called one of the SQ segments "COACH" and the other "ECONOMY".

My complaints to the supervisor, to the tune of the above paragraph and that the aeroplan.ca submission seemed to go into a black hole, seemed to fall on deaf ears, and she trotted out the tired old "we're separate companies, blah blah blah" lines. Anyway, end of rant. Aside from that, HKG-SIN-HKG was nice for being my first A380 flights!

Last edited by hoob; Sep 9, 2010 at 2:59 pm
Old Sep 9, 2010, 2:57 pm

Programs: *G
This particular routing seems to be one that most frequently catches people off guard. I learned the hard way on this route, and others have posted also. (And despite all that, I am doing it again next January.)

If anyone finds an easy way to figure out what AC fare class translates to which SQ class, I would love to hear about it, since asking AC AE or SQ has never produced an answer for me.
Old Sep 9, 2010, 3:05 pm

Programs: AC SE
I know it does not track against the AC fare classes, but from the Aeroplan site it shows the SQ Classes that do earn miles:

R, F, P, A, Z, C, J, D, S, Y, B, E, M, H, W, L, K, U 100% of miles flown (minimum 500)

Does anyone know if there is somewhere that lists this information for all Star Partners?
Old Sep 9, 2010, 3:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA-EP, TK-*G, HL-DM, HY-GLO, MR-LTP
Originally Posted by hoob
Flew YYZ-HKG-SIN-HKG-YYZ in June. Sold on a single AC e-Ticket with AC flight numbes on all segments. No fare class information listed on e-Ticket receipt, or itinerary/invoice...
If its AC flight numbers on the entire ticket, which means AC codeshared on SQ flights, then you should get miles for the AC flight number irrespective of what it comes out as on SQ!
Old Sep 9, 2010, 3:18 pm

Originally Posted by Guy Betsy
If its AC flight numbers on the entire ticket, which means AC codeshared on SQ flights, then you should get miles for the AC flight number irrespective of what it comes out as on SQ!

Do you mean AC codeshare flight#?

I got caught on this too once - and what bothered me was that it was a TangoPlus fare and when you click on it it says mileage earning, etc etc. AC flight # , and then a codeshare but had the AC# (4 digits).

Anyways didn't get credit because it's on the operating carrier - but it sucked because it was marketed as TangoPlus so I thought I was safe - lesson learned.

How are people checking what fare class the operating carrier is using on a particular ticket - and how is it possible to make sure TangoPlus maps correctly over to get a particular/eligible fare class on the operating carrier?
Old Sep 9, 2010, 3:29 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: HH Silver
Originally Posted by onebagtraveller
Do you mean AC codeshare flight#?
He means AC 6301 HKG-SIN is on SQ metal and is an AC codeshare, meaning it has an AC flight number and can be issued on AC 014 ticket stock and sold as a through fare but that segment will be operated by SQ.
Old Sep 9, 2010, 3:45 pm
Carlson Contributor Badge

Programs: Hertz & Avis PC; National EE; SPG & Hilton Gold; AC 35K (yawn)
Nope. Here is the text from aeroplan.com:

Air Canada and certain airlines operate code-share flights, which allow both airlines to offer service to more countries throughout the world. Under such an agreement, several routes are served jointly by Air Canada and its code-share partners' aircraft.

For the mileage accumulation on Air Canada code-share flights operated by another Star Alliance member airline, refer to the "Earn Miles" section of the airline operating the flight.
Old Sep 9, 2010, 3:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

The challenge has been to map out the AC codeshare fare class with the fare class of the Star A metal flown.

I was going to fly out on OP exact itinerary and I could not get the info from SQ prior to ticketing. SQ would only give me the fare class when I had a ticket.
Old Sep 9, 2010, 4:10 pm

Programs: *G
Originally Posted by airbus320
The challenge has been to map out the AC codeshare fare class with the fare class of the Star A metal flown.

I was going to fly out on OP exact itinerary and I could not get the info from SQ prior to ticketing. SQ would only give me the fare class when I had a ticket.
I was unable to get any info from SQ even with a ticket. I also sent off all the backup to AE but never had a reply. Unfortunately it's the most convenient connection to SIN, although the cnx time is now down (or is about to change) to 65 minutes.
Old Sep 9, 2010, 8:21 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AC*E, HH*G
Nope... Even though it's a single (e)ticket with all AC flight numbers, those segments operated by SQ do not accrue miles, because they are SQ class "X" and "N" in my case.

Originally Posted by fin 645
I was unable to get any info from SQ even with a ticket. I also sent off all the backup to AE but never had a reply. Unfortunately it's the most convenient connection to SIN, although the cnx time is now down (or is about to change) to 65 minutes.
Yeah, that's why I'm a tad annoyed -- even after ticketting, the SQ segments were only classified as "COACH" and "ECONOMY" with nary a fare class in sight.
Old Sep 10, 2010, 12:22 am

Programs: AC SE MM, Marriott Lifetime Titanium, Hyatt Globalist
Lise? Lise!

This is lame and should be a top priority to fix. It should be super clear and easy to change - like it is when you book on SingaporeAir.com (No miles shows clearly above fares)
Old Sep 10, 2010, 2:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA-EP, TK-*G, HL-DM, HY-GLO, MR-LTP
I dunno if you guys heard the story about a guy who challenged SQ (when they still flew to YVR) about the flights he took and didn't get any miles to his Aeroplan account due to the booking class. He asked his cc to stop payment to SQ as he felt that SQ misinterpreted their contract to give him the miles he deserved.

SQ never bothered to reply to his creditcard company's query and he got a full refund from his creditcard - after his trip I might add.
Old Sep 10, 2010, 7:34 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: HH Silver
I dunno if you guys heard the story about a guy who challenged SQ (when they still flew to YVR) about the flights he took and didn't get any miles to his Aeroplan account due to the booking class. He asked his cc to stop payment to SQ as he felt that SQ misinterpreted their contract to give him the miles he deserved.

SQ never bothered to reply to his creditcard company's query and he got a full refund from his creditcard - after his trip I might add.
If anyone is interested that matter was debated in this thread but the comparison isn't exact as that guy got no miles at all flying SQ whereas OP here is only missing miles for part of the journey on a codeshare on SQ. BTW I think its poor advice to suggest a chargeback through your CC as IMHO that's the wrong way to go about proceeding in these missing mile cases as it's never what that process was meant for which is as a way for consumer to a.) dispute duplicate charges b.) fraudulent charges c.) obtain refund for goods never delivered.

There's no doubt the booking classes should be more transparent to all pax so that these questions can be asked & answered pre-trip and not arrive as a surprise after the fact. Why it isn't more straightforward is a mystery as AFAIK every other airline I fly clearly shows the booking class right on the e-ticket receipt.
Old Sep 10, 2010, 9:05 am

Originally Posted by tcook052
c.) obtain refund for goods never delivered.
It seems like this applies in this situation. Air Canada promised (on their website) to provide the OP with aeroplan status miles for 100% of the miles flown on this tickets. They didn't provide this good, so the OP would be reasonably required to a partial refund.

I know aeroplan has a disclaimer about operating carrier fare class, but that isn't disclosed at purchase.

Michael
Old Sep 10, 2010, 9:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by tcook052
BTW I think its poor advice to suggest a chargeback through your CC as IMHO that's the wrong way to go about proceeding in these missing mile cases as it's never what that process was meant for which is as a way for consumer to a.) dispute duplicate charges b.) fraudulent charges c.) obtain refund for goods never delivered.
Actually, I'll go one step further. Not only is it "the wrong way to go about proceeding" it's also the illegal way. There's one word for it - Fraud.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.