Go Back   FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Sign in using an external account

Old Aug 23, 10, 9:04 am   #1

Programs: DL SkyMiles, UA Mileage Plus.
YYZ-BOS: How Early to Arrive at Airport?

On Saturday the 28th I will be returning to the US on AC356. It departs at 8:50 AM. The YYZ website says to be at the airport three hours early for transborder. Is this good advice or overkill in the extreme?

I couldn't find this info in a search so I apologize if it's a duplicate. Thanks for your advice.
Dash51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 23, 10, 9:16 am   #2

Programs: BA Silver, AC25K, Marriott Silver
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dash51 View Post
On Saturday the 28th I will be returning to the US on AC356. It departs at 8:50 AM. The YYZ website says to be at the airport three hours early for transborder. Is this good advice or overkill in the extreme?

I couldn't find this info in a search so I apologize if it's a duplicate. Thanks for your advice.
Three hours is overkill.

Check in online and be at the airport 1.5 to 2 hours before 8:50AM and you should have no problem whatsoever on a Saturday morning. Review this webpage for AC policy/recommendation:

http://www.aircanada.com/en/travelin...t/checkin.html

You could cut it closer to the AC deadlines if you want, in accordance to your tolerance for risk.
zorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 23, 10, 9:28 am   #3

Programs: DL SkyMiles, UA Mileage Plus.
Thanks. I do not have a huge tolerance for risk but three hours seemed crazy even to me. I did go the the airport that early for an AMS to DTW flight on NW last October and even that ended up being too early.
Dash51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 23, 10, 9:52 am   #4

Programs: AC-SE100K, AC MM, SPG-Plat, MR-Gold, Hyatt-Platinum, IHG-Gold
Definitely overkill. Remember that you have to clear US Immigration-

I will generally arrive 2 hours before- that leave plently of time for any potential delays getting through US Immoigration and then security...
Plumber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 23, 10, 12:01 pm   #5

Programs: AC*E, SPG Gold, Priority Club Gold
Quote:
Originally Posted by Plumber View Post
Definitely overkill. Remember that you have to clear US Immigration-

I will generally arrive 2 hours before- that leave plently of time for any potential delays getting through US Immoigration and then security...

If it was anything like last Monday at transborder security in T1, 3 hours will only just be enough!

Horrible experience......
GlennH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 23, 10, 12:13 pm   #6

Programs: E35K, Delta SM, AM ADV, Priority Club Plat, SPG Plat, MR *S, GR *E, Hyatt GP, AM
2 hours ahead of time is usually my rule of thumb. Although some of the security lines can be rather long! That's where nexus comes in handy!
Old Aug 23, 10, 2:51 pm   #7

Programs: AC*SE, AA Plat, SPG Plat, HH Diamond, PC Plat Ambassador, Hyatt Diamond, Fairmont Plat
I usually arrive (pre-checked in, with carry on luggage only) 60 minutes before departure for U.S. flights and have never missed a flight. Even with that timeline, I usually have 10 minutes to fritter in the lounge, but sometimes (if the immigration line is really long or security is backed up I have to go directly to the plane. I don't have Nexus, so this time-frame includes the 15-30 minutes it typically takes to get through immigration.

If you are seriously risk averse, arrive 90 minutes prior to departure time. Anything beyond that is pure overkill assuming that you have completed OLCI.

SG
Old Aug 23, 10, 4:37 pm   #8

Programs: BA Silver, AC25K, Marriott Silver
Quote:
Originally Posted by GlennH View Post
If it was anything like last Monday at transborder security in T1, 3 hours will only just be enough!

Horrible experience......
OK, but Saturday morning shouldn't be a problem.
zorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 25, 10, 9:19 pm   #9

Programs: UA 1K, AA Gold, Starwood Plat, Marriott Silver, Hilton Gold, Hertz Prez, AVIS First, Amtrak Select+
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snow Goose View Post
I usually arrive (pre-checked in, with carry on luggage only) 60 minutes before departure for U.S. flights and have never missed a flight. Even with that timeline, I usually have 10 minutes to fritter in the lounge, but sometimes (if the immigration line is really long or security is backed up I have to go directly to the plane. I don't have Nexus, so this time-frame includes the 15-30 minutes it typically takes to get through immigration.

If you are seriously risk averse, arrive 90 minutes prior to departure time. Anything beyond that is pure overkill assuming that you have completed OLCI.

SG
And you have completed a US Customs Declaration form, which you will have to grab off a table since you'll bypass an airline employee doing OLCI, who would have given it to you.
EnvoyBoy is offline   Reply With Quote