Flight report and feedback thread

Search this Thread

Old Aug 19, 2010, 8:20 pm

Flight/Origin-Destination: AC132, YVR-YYZ
Date: Aug 19
Cabin: J

Pre departure
Was check in quick and efficient? Yes
Did you use priority security (if eligible) and if so, was it quick and efficient? Used the so-called Fast-Track lane at YVR, but it was neither quick nor efficient. All eligible users were funneled into one lane at security, and it was a fairly long line with several stroller and wheelchair groups in it. It took 20 mins to get through to the other side. The priority lane set-up at YYZ seems to be much more efficient.
Did you use the Maple Leaf lounge and if so, any feedback in regards to service, food and drinks? Yes. Time was limited due to the aforementioned security lineup but I did have a quick pint of Guinness. I do miss the days of local beer on tap at each MLL though.
Was priority boarding offered (if applicable to your status) and efficient? Yes. I arrived at the gate approx. 10 mins after stated boarding time. Boarding had commenced and I by-passed the crowd and walked straight up to the priority boarding lane.
If there was a delay, did the gate agent provide timely updates? N/A

Onboard - J cabin:
Were the crew professional & well groomed? Yes
If there was a delay, were you provided with timely updates? N/A
Was the IFE activated on the ground? Don't recall, I was in J and didn't deploy my screen until the safety briefing.
Was a pre-departure beverage offered on the ground? Yes
Did crew offer to hang your jacket? N/A
Were newspapers & menus distributed and meal orders taken (Please specify when meal orders were taken - on the ground or in the air)? Yes to all three, meal orders taken in the air.
Did crew offer a hot towel prior to the meal service? Yes
Approximately how long after take off did it take for the first meal service to be completed? (From takeoff to all items collected) Approx 2 hours. I was in the J mini-cabin and it was nearly an hour after take off before the first bar service got to me. After that things were quite efficient though.
How was the quality of all the meals? Decent.
Did the cabin crew continuously top up the beverage of your choice throughout the flight? Yes.

Post departure
If you have checked baggage, did it arrive within reasonable period of time? My bag arrived 9 mins after I got to baggage claim. The bags from the earlier YVR flight had not yet arrived so there was a large crowd already there. Bags from that flight came out first, and then my bag was one of the first out from flight 132.

Overall experience/any other comments
-After take-off several pax experienced IFE problems, myself included. After trying a few individual resets the SD did a system-wide reset and everything seemed to work fine after that.
-One complaint: IFE was shutdown prior to descent. While we have to close the screens in J anyway I usually like to listen to the XM or audio library at this point.
-Overall a good flight and good crew. The delay in starting bar service at the beginning of the flight was at least partially due to a period with the seat-belt sign on due to turbulence.
Old Aug 20, 2010, 2:32 pm

Flight/Origin-Destination: YYT - YYZ AC695
Date: Aug 18

Pre departure
Was check in quick and efficient? Y
Did you use the Maple Leaf lounge and if so, any feedback in regards to service, food and drinks? GREAT AS USUAL
Was priority boarding offered (if applicable to your status) and efficient? Y

Onboard - J cabin:
Were the crew professional & well groomed? Y
Was the IFE activated on the ground? Y
Was a pre-departure beverage offered on the ground? Y
Were newspapers & menus distributed and meal orders taken (Please specify when meal orders were taken - on the ground or in the air)? Y, MEAL ORDER IN THE AIR
Did crew offer a hot towel prior to the meal service? Y
Approximately how long after take off did it take for the first meal service to be completed? (From takeoff to all items collected) WITHIN AN 1 HR
How was the quality of all the meals? ADEQUATE
Did the cabin crew continously top up the beverage of your choice throughout the flight? NO! THIS IS THE FIRST TIME I HAVE EVER USED THE CALL BELL FOR A TOP UP.

Post departure
If you have checked baggage, did it arrive within reasonable period of time? Y

Overall experience/any other comments. The post-meal service made me feel like I was sitting in the Y cabin. Attendant did not come through until I used the bell. I think she forgot which cabin she was working in. The SD was working the back.
Old Aug 20, 2010, 4:31 pm

Programs: meh
Flight/Origin-Destination: AC1161 YHZ-YYZ
Date: 20 Aug 2010

Pre departure
Was check in quick and efficient? Used kiosk
Did you use priority security (if eligible) and if so, was it quick and efficient? N/A
Did you use the Maple Leaf lounge and if so, any feedback in regards to service, food and drinks? Adequate. Still shocked (not in a good way) by beer selection.
Was priority boarding offered (if applicable to your status) and efficient? Non-normal boarding announcements, although appreciated. Gate agent was firm about people with children and needing assistance being first. Processed about 6-8 families before announcing E/SE/*G/Biz could board. Turned away panicked gate lice (flight was announced as oversold) as she should have.

Onboard - J cabin:
Was the IFE activated on the ground? Yes
Was a pre-departure beverage offered on the ground? Yes, but water only. Not a single glass of OJ was presented to any passenger in J.
Did crew offer to hang your jacket? N/A, but yes for others.
Were newspapers & menus distributed and meal orders taken (Please specify when meal orders were taken - on the ground or in the air)? Newspaper on ground (2x actually). No menus distributed during this flight. Orders taken after takeoff (see below).
Approximately how long after take off did it take for the first meal service to be completed? (From takeoff to all items collected) 1 1/2 hrs.
How was the quality of all the meals? Okay
Did the cabin crew continuously top up the beverage of your choice throughout the flight? No. Did not get first post takeoff beverage until meal was served (see below). Was asked again when tray was removed. Requested more wine was given water and before being able to rectify the FA was gone. Only had one more opportunity to get a glass of wine (SD, not FA, came around) on remainder of flight.

Post departure
If you have checked baggage, did it arrive within reasonable period of time?
N/A (connecting)
I wasn't impressed with the meal service (one of the oddest I've ever seen by AC) on this flight, nor the ability of the FA to attend to the J cabin. As I indicated above, menus were not distributed and drinks were not offered in advance of the meal service. The FA cooked the meals before taking any orders. Once the meals were cooked/heated, the FA proceeded to the first two seats in J and asked for their order, returned to the galley, gathered their trays and served them. He then served them the beverage of their choice before moving on to two more seats and repeating. Every 6-8 seats he would serve bread to those that already had been served their meals. As the FA was working his way back to the last row of J (where I was seated) he would stop and ask those already served if they needed refills (assuming it was if he noticed their glasses were empty) and proceed to the galley to return with their beverages. Overall from the time the first seat was served until I was served (last seat in J to get a meal) the process took almost 30 minutes. This was an awfully long time to wait for my first beverage after takeoff. And of course orders were taken simply by seating assignment so I was stranded with no choice by the time my order was taken.

Pre-departure beverages were a bit of an issue as well. First, the only option was water, not the normal "water or OJ?" The FA proceeded to serve water to the first 2/3s of the cabin before running out. Usually at this point the FAs seem to work to get the remainder of the passengers their beverages by joining the flow of passengers still boarding and fighting the wave back to the galley when needed. Instead our FA chose to stand in the galley leaning on the wall watching things happen.
Old Aug 21, 2010, 6:55 pm
Company Representative - Air Canada
Original Poster

Thanks all for the continued great feedback! Keep em coming! For anyone that wants followup, please contact me via PM or I will contact you via PM as well if I need additional info or followup.
Old Aug 22, 2010, 10:25 am

Programs: AC*P, SPG
Flight/Origin-Destination: HKG-YVR
Date: 21-AUG-10

Pre departure
Was check in quick and efficient?
Yes. No line for J. (Sidenote: Departing HKG, security informed me that there was a limit of one carry-on per passenger -- I had two. Told me to go back to the AC desk to ask for "special permission" [which was just a tag]. It was fine, but it would have been nice for the check-in agent to issue the tag the first go around, seeing how it was obvious I had two carry-ons and no bags checked.)
Did you use priority security (if eligible) and if so, was it quick and efficient?
NA
Did you use the Maple Leaf lounge and if so, any feedback in regards to service, food and drinks?
Used the UA RCC.
Was priority boarding offered (if applicable to your status) and efficient?
Yes, offered. There was a line for J, but boarding had JUST started, so it was understandable.
If there was a delay, did the gate agent provide timely updates?
NA

Onboard - J cabin:
Were the crew professional & well groomed?
Yes
If there was a delay, were you provided with timely updates?
Yes
Was the IFE activated on the ground?
No
Was a pre-departure beverage offered on the ground?
Yes
Did crew offer to hang your jacket?
NA - No jacket.
Were newspapers & menus distributed and meal orders taken (Please specify when meal orders were taken - on the ground or in the air)?
Yes to all. Meal orders taken on the ground, but didn't seem like it was by status as it started from 1A and moved sequentially (although it's entirely possible everybody in front of me (Rows 1-3) were SE and E. The FA did seem to skip the girl in 4D and proceed onto 5A first.)
Did crew offer a hot towel prior to the meal service?
Yes
Approximately how long after take off did it take for the first meal service to be completed? (From takeoff to all items collected)
1 hr - 1.5 hrs at most.
How was the quality of all the meals?
Don't know why, but the few times I've flown J, I've always found the appetizer for dinner service at a much higher "quality" than the actual entree. Maybe it's because cold food is easier to prepare than hot food. Sidenote: While it'd be nice if AC's J food was comparative to other Asian carriers (ie CX HKG-YVR or JL NRT-YVR), for whatever reason, I usually give them the benefit of the doubt.
Did the cabin crew continuously top up the beverage of your choice throughout the flight?
Not really. Pre-flight drink was finished and taken away, no refill offered (even with a small delay on the ground). Pre-dinner drink was finished and taken away, no refill offered. Dinner drink was refilled once. Even my bottle of Desani was only refilled once, and then after that disappeared (I had finished its contents and went to sleep, and when I awoke, it was gone!)

Post departure
If you have checked baggage, did it arrive within reasonable period of time?
NA
Old Aug 22, 2010, 10:54 am

Programs: AC*E
Flight/Origin-Destination: AC 876/YYZ-FRA
Date: 8/21/10

Pre departure
Was check in quick and efficient? Yes (online)
Did you use priority security (if eligible) and if so, was it quick and efficient? Yes
Did you use the Maple Leaf lounge and if so, any feedback in regards to service, food and drinks? No time.
Was priority boarding offered (if applicable to your status) and efficient? Yes. There was a GA who checked boarding passes and status and redirected others to the general boarding line.
If there was a delay, did the gate agent provide timely updates? n/a

Onboard - J cabin:
If there was a delay, were you provided with timely updates? Yes
Did crew offer to hang your jacket? n/a
Were newspapers & menus distributed and meal orders taken (Please specify when meal orders were taken - on the ground or in the air)? Menus in seat prior to boarding. Newspapers offered shortly after boarding. Meal orders taken in the air.
Approximately how long after take off did it take for the first meal service to be completed? (From takeoff to all items collected) Too long. I ordered the express meal and it was over 1.5 hours.
How was the quality of all the meals? Poor - I think they took my original VLML from coach and plopped it on a plate (I had my upgrade confirmed several days prior, so I would have assumed there was sufficient time to order a J-class VLML). FA should have given me the veggie option from the menu (if I had known how bad the meal would be, I would have insisted on substituting it in the beginning).
Did the cabin crew continiously top up the beverage of your choice throughout the flight? Yes

Post departure
If you have checked baggage, did it arrive within reasonable period of time? n/a

I find that the J cabin experience is really hit-and-miss with AC. A few times I have received superior attention and service and at other times it is mediocre at best. This time around was one of the worst I've experienced - when I first boarded, there was something caked onto my seat (looked like chocolate rubbed into the head rest). When I asked the FA for a towelette or something to clean it up, I was told to get some papertowels from the lavatory and to take care of it myself. I can imagine that in Y class, but J class?? Very disappointing. The FA also forgot that I had ordered the express meal (so it took more time to get it together than normal) and as mentioned above, the meal was terrible.
Old Aug 24, 2010, 9:27 am

Flight/Origin-Destination: AC455/YOW-YYZ
Date: Aug 14, 2010

Pre departure
Did you use priority security (if eligible) and if so, was it quick and efficient? None in Ottawa but there was no line this time!
Did you use the Maple Leaf lounge and if so, any feedback in regards to service, food and drinks? Yes, it was good but I stood there for a good 10min-15min wondering where the front desk staff was. The staff inside told me to just go in and they'll inform the front desk to talk to me. The lady ended up coming in and greeted me. I gave her my card and she did what she had to do. Upon walking out though, normally the staff would acknowledge you're leaving and say goodbye but she just kept reading her newspaper. Oh well, minor point.
Was priority boarding offered (if applicable to your status) and efficient? Yes, but I just lined up in the regular line because it was short

Onboard - J cabin:
Did crew offer to hang your jacket? N/A
Were newspapers & menus distributed and meal orders taken (Please specify when meal orders were taken - on the ground or in the air)? No and meal was offered in the air (seems a bit late when you're only going to YYZ)
Did crew offer a hot towel prior to the meal service? No
Approximately how long after take off did it take for the first meal service to be completed? (From takeoff to all items collected) ~15min-20min
How was the quality of all the meals? Average. I wish there was a bit more substance other than just a cheese platter
Did the cabin crew continiously top up the beverage of your choice throughout the flight? No

Post departure
If you have checked baggage, did it arrive within reasonable period of time? These were checked in all the way to AC9175 to DUS.

Overall experience/any other comments:
Overall pretty good.
Old Aug 24, 2010, 9:41 am

Flight/Origin-Destination: AC859/LHR-YYZ
Date: Aug 20
Cabin: Y

Pre departure
Was check in quick and efficient? Yes, but I don't know why the front desk closed off the check-in counter 1+hr prior to departure. I know recommended time is 1hr but we have more than an hour prior to departure
Did you use priority security (if eligible) and if so, was it quick and efficient? None, although I wish there was for LHR as it gets too crowded with the tight spaces
Did you use the Maple Leaf lounge and if so, any feedback in regards to service, food and drinks? No, ran out of time as they were claiming they were closing the gates
Was priority boarding offered (if applicable to your status) and efficient? No

Onboard - Y cabin:
Was the IFE activated on the ground? Yes but the earphone jack was broken and I could hardly hear anything played. I always had to play around with the jack in order to hear
Approximately how long after take off did it take for the first meal service/Onboard cafe to begin? ~20min
How was the quality of the meal/Onboard cafe? 1st dinner meal was ok but 2nd meal was absolutely small.
Did the cabin crew offer water regularly throughout the flight? Once only.

Post departure
If you have checked baggage, did it arrive within reasonable period of time? Yes

I wish more snacks were offered as I was starving since we were landing around dinner time and the small wrap didn't calm my hunger down.

Flight/Origin-Destination: AC 470/YYZ-YOW
Date: Aug 20

Pre departure
Did you use priority security (if eligible) and if so, was it quick and efficient? Yes but wasn't offered
Did you use the Maple Leaf lounge and if so, any feedback in regards to service, food and drinks? Yes, but was not happy that were wasn't even salad offered. Just the carrot, celery, pickles, and soup offered.
Was priority boarding offered (if applicable to your status) and efficient? Yes

Onboard - Y cabin:
If there was a delay, were you provided with timely updates? Kind of but we did sit there on the ground for 30min or so waiting to take off because the captain had informed us that the brakes needed to cool down before taking off as it arrived from Calgary earlier
Approximately how long after take off did it take for the first meal service/Onboard cafe to begin? None.
How was the quality of the meal/Onboard cafe? N/A
Did the cabin crew offer water regularly throughout the flight? No

Post departure
If you have checked baggage, did it arrive within reasonable period of time? No. Passengers from a previous flight from Vancouver were waiting for their bags which took roughly 20min for it come and then about 10min later, our flight bags came through. This seems to happen way too often when picking up baggage at YOW.

Old Aug 24, 2010, 8:58 pm

Programs: AC-SE MM, Bonvoy Lifetime Gold, Avis President's Club
Flight/Origin-Destination: AC 141 YHZ-YYZ
Date: Aug 24

Pre departure
Was check in quick and efficient? YES
Did you use priority security (if eligible) and if so, was it quick and efficient? N/A
Did you use the Maple Leaf lounge and if so, any feedback in regards to service, food and drinks? Yes, just used biz centre. computers worked
Was priority boarding offered (if applicable to your status) and efficient? YES
If there was a delay, did the gate agent provide timely updates? YES

Onboard - J cabin:
Were the crew professional & well groomed? YES
Was the IFE activated on the ground? NO
Was a pre-departure beverage offered on the ground? YES
Did crew offer to hang your jacket? YES, although it was returned about 45 minutes before landing
Were newspapers & menus distributed and meal orders taken (Please specify when meal orders were taken - on the ground or in the air)? Yes, when we were in the air.
Did crew offer a hot towel prior to the meal service? YES
Approximately how long after take off did it take for the first meal service to be completed? (From takeoff to all items collected) 90 minutes
How was the quality of all the meals? Fine, but it needs to be mixed up. The chicken is boring, salmon always overcooked and I am getting tired of the canelloni.
Did the cabin crew continiously top up the beverage of your choice throughout the flight? NO

Post departure
If you have checked baggage, did it arrive within reasonable period of time? N/A

Flight was fine, service not remarkable. Nothing bad though, although the cabin crew did seem preoccupied with something. SD seemed to be the only attentive one, others seemed to just be going through the motions.
Old Aug 24, 2010, 10:19 pm

Programs: Free agent!
Flight/Origin-Destination: QK 8126 PDX-YVR
Date: 08/24/2010

Pre departure
Was check in quick and efficient? Meh. No online check in offered at PDX for my flight connecting through YVR to HKG. EasyChicken (the UA kiosk) only printed up something on BP stock that I had to hand over to a CSR in order for her to check me in. In addition, due to my YVR-HKG flight leaving the next calendar date, the machine didn't even ask me if I wanted to check bags. Not sure if this is UA or AC's issue but it was pretty disjointed. I don't remember it being like this for PDX-YVR-HKG connections in the past.
Did you use priority security (if eligible) and if so, was it quick and efficient? No, because PDX is a ghost town at 4:30pm and I was the only one going through security at that hour.
Did you use the Maple Leaf lounge and if so, any feedback in regards to service, food and drinks? N/A. Used the RCC and its mediocrity has nothing to do with AC.
Was priority boarding offered (if applicable to your status) and efficient? Yes, but I didn't bother to use it for a Dash 8-300.

Onboard - Y cabin:
Was the IFE activated on the ground? N/A
Approximately how long after take off did it take for the first meal service/Onboard cafe to begin? Not long after reaching cruising altitude, the lone FA came around with the drinks cart and a pretzel packet for all.
How was the quality of the meal/Onboard cafe? I declined the pretzels and drink for the hour long flight
Did the cabin crew offer water regularly throughout the flight? Just the one run through the cabin but that is to be expected on such a short QK sector.

Another new thing I noticed was the requirement to fill out a form with one's name and birthday, which was then handed to the GA during boarding.
Old Aug 25, 2010, 3:57 pm

Programs: AC*E
Flight/Origin-Destination: AC 873/FRA-YYZ
Date: 8/25/10

Pre departure
Was check in quick and efficient? Yes (online)
Did you use the Maple Leaf lounge and if so, any feedback in regards to service, food and drinks? N/A
Was priority boarding offered (if applicable to your status) and efficient? Yes. There was a GA who checked boarding passes and status and redirected others to the general boarding line.
If there was a delay, did the gate agent provide timely updates? Yes

Onboard - J cabin:
If there was a delay, were you provided with timely updates? Yes
Was the IFE activated on the ground? No
Were newspapers & menus distributed and meal orders taken (Please specify when meal orders were taken - on the ground or in the air)? Menus distributed and meal orders taken on the ground. Newspapers offered shortly after boarding.
Approximately how long after take off did it take for the first meal service to be completed? (From takeoff to all items collected) N/A (I requested the 'flexible' meal to arrive towards the end of the flight)
How was the quality of all the meals? Good. I was able to swap my VLML for one of the menu choices this time.
Did the cabin crew continiously top up the beverage of your choice throughout the flight? Yes

Post departure
If you have checked baggage, did it arrive within reasonable period of time? n/a
Old Aug 25, 2010, 9:14 pm

Programs: AC E50K
Flight/Origin-Destination: AC 034 YVR-YYZ
Date: 08/24/2010
Cabin
: Y

Pre departure
Was check in quick and efficient?
Check in at J counter. We are a family of 5 travelling on 2 different flights and of course 2 different tickets. Check in agent did not realize there are more than one passenger on each ticket. Needs to be reminded on each ticket. She tagged my luggage and BP with priority and did not tag others luggages/BP with priority. Otherwise, everything was smooth and quick.
Did you use the Maple Leaf lounge and if so, any feedback in regards to service, food and drinks? Yes. My whole family got in. Thank you. Everything as expected.
Was priority boarding offered (if applicable to your status) and efficient? Yes. Yes.

Onboard - Y cabin:
Approximately how long after take off did it take for the first meal service/Onboard cafe to begin? 1 hour after take off, FA start selling food. Drink cart follows 10 minutes later.
How was the quality of the meal/Onboard cafe? Same old. Same old.
Did the cabin crew offer water regularly throughout the flight? Fell asleep. Don't know. Drink cart again about one hour before landing.

Map function was working which is a big surprise to me. Call button was pressed about 2hr45min into the flight. It was completely ignored even after landing. Luggage at YYZ came out 45 minutes after arrival. My priority tagged luggage came out first.

A very overweight FA was serving our cabin. IMHO AC should give her medical leave to take care of her weigh problem

Last edited by Spot planes; Aug 25, 2010 at 10:32 pm
Old Aug 26, 2010, 12:24 am
Suspended

Programs: yes
Thumbs down

Originally Posted by Spot planes
A very overweight FA was serving our cabin. IMHO AC should give her medical leave to take care of her weigh problem
Sorry to disrupt the chain here, but that is rather rude. Not sure why someone else's weight has such an effect on you to the point where you post about it online.

Last edited by kylejaymes; Aug 26, 2010 at 12:26 am Reason: Grammar
Old Aug 26, 2010, 8:15 am

Programs: AC E50K
My concern is her safety and the passengers safety. Can she perform her duties or be a liability in case of emergency? I am sure those FFs who had met her knew what I am talking about.

Last edited by Spot planes; Aug 26, 2010 at 5:25 pm Reason: add another comment
Old Aug 28, 2010, 9:47 pm

Programs: AC*75K, Hhonors Diamond
Flight/Origin-Destination: AC163 YOW-YVR
Date: 8.25.10

Pre departure
Was check in quick and efficient? Yes, although the lady was cranky. It was early in the morning though.
Did you use priority security (if eligible) and if so, was it quick and efficient? Yes - nexus line at YOW. No naked scanner for me!
Did you use the Maple Leaf lounge and if so, any feedback in regards to service, food and drinks? Yes - had cereal and coffee. A+
Was priority boarding offered (if applicable to your status) and efficient? Yes
If there was a delay, did the gate agent provide timely updates? n/a

Onboard - J cabin:
If there was a delay, were you provided with timely updates? n/a
Were newspapers & menus distributed and meal orders taken (Please specify when meal orders were taken - on the ground or in the air)? Yes
Approximately how long after take off did it take for the first meal service to be completed? (From takeoff to all items collected) 60 minutes
How was the quality of all the meals? Good (nothing spectacular, but good)
Did the cabin crew continiously top up the beverage of your choice throughout the flight? Yes, and thanks to the staff for the very frequent coffee and water runs.

Post departure
If you have checked baggage, did it arrive within reasonable period of time? Yes

Great flight. With the exception of the YOW executive class check-in lady, all was very polite and professional.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.