What happened to the button holes?

Old Aug 2, 2010, 7:37 am
Original Poster

Programs: AC-SE MM, Bonvoy Lifetime Gold, Avis President's Club
What happened to the button holes?

Did I miss the memo?

I am three for three in the last five days...napkins with no button holes.

Did something happen? Am I the only guy that uses them when eating?
Old Aug 2, 2010, 8:15 am

Programs: AC*E, SPG Platinum/Ambassador, Marriott Platinum
Huh, I never knew that's what they were used for. I always thought it was for storage purposes (to be hung on a hook or somesuch). I also thought that some passengers may mistake it for a rip as to therefore look cheap.
Old Aug 2, 2010, 8:28 am

I noticed that too on my flights this past week...I kept on rotating the napkin looking in vain for the button hole!

And of course, I ended up with some salad dressing on my shirt as my napkin kept falling down to my lap. Perhaps I'll have to start bringing a bib with me
Old Aug 2, 2010, 8:35 am

Programs: ACMM SE100K; Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Platinum Elite
There was a thread about this a few weeks back but I can't seem to find it now. Its too bad - saved a few dress shirts with the button hole!
Old Aug 2, 2010, 8:44 am

Programs: *G
I always used them too, although I sensed other passengers thought it was weird. I also wonder if the producers of on board food give any thought to minimizing chances of drips onto clothing. Prime offenders are long pieces of pasta in a colourful sauce and huge pieces of lettuce with that balsamic dressing. And those cute cherry tomatoes - they are a recipe for disaster but widely served on planes. I usually try to wear something dark, particularly on a long haul as an extra precaution.
Old Aug 2, 2010, 9:03 am

I must be dysfunctional, but I had a number of times when I opened the tab on the small coffee milk container and gotten splashback on my tie. Finally learned to turn it around when opening. Now I splash the seatback in front of me.
Old Aug 2, 2010, 10:29 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: HH Silver
Originally Posted by Mozzarella
There was a thread about this a few weeks back but I can't seem to find it now.
I thought so as well but was also able to track down that thread.
Old Aug 2, 2010, 1:10 pm

Programs: UA 50K, refugee from AC E50K, Marriott Lifetime Plat
Side Note - Back in the old days, whenever I flew Canadian Airlines I got something spilled on me, usually by my own incompetence (splashing coffee creamers for example) but often enough from the FAs!

But yes - I too like the button holes in the napkins. Is it considered "damaging company property" if you punch a hole in a napkin yourself?

Seriously though, if it's not a big deal - please bring back the button holes! But perhaps us button-hole lovers are in the minority ...
Old Aug 2, 2010, 2:59 pm

Programs: meh
Originally Posted by RCyyz
Seriously though, if it's not a big deal - please bring back the button holes! But perhaps us button-hole lovers are in the minority ...
I'm with you on this one. I think that those of us who knew what they were for loved them...kinda like knowing that there is a jacket hanger on the side of the seat in front of you in domestic J.
Old Aug 2, 2010, 3:57 pm

Programs: AC Elite, Marriot Silver
Napkins still around

They are still kicking around in the system.

I just went to YYZ > HKG on July 29th and saw the funny hole (I thought it was an ratty napkin) at the corner. Now I know what they are used for.

Azreal
Old Aug 2, 2010, 4:01 pm

Programs: AC-SE, CX-DM, DL-G, Hyatt-DM, Hilton-DM, Fairmont-Plt, Marriott-S, Accor-Plt, SPG-G, IHG-Plt
Just came back from NRT on the AC2 today.

Yes, the button hole was still there.
Old Aug 2, 2010, 5:22 pm

Programs: AP, HHonours Diamond
Originally Posted by lancebanyon
I must be dysfunctional, but I had a number of times when I opened the tab on the small coffee milk container and gotten splashback on my tie. Finally learned to turn it around when opening. Now I splash the seatback in front of me.
Blame it on pressure change. I used to have the same issue with my hand sanitizer, until I learned to flip up the lid, right side up, instead of doing so while holding the top down.
Old Aug 2, 2010, 7:58 pm

Programs: UA 50K, refugee from AC E50K, Marriott Lifetime Plat
Originally Posted by payam81
Blame it on pressure change. I used to have the same issue with my hand sanitizer, until I learned to flip up the lid, right side up, instead of doing so while holding the top down.
I've actually taken to stabbing my creamers with a fork or knife before opening to equalize the pressure.

And just to be safe, I wear my napkin with the help of the button-hole.
Old Aug 2, 2010, 8:31 pm

Programs: meh
Originally Posted by igloocoder
I'm with you on this one. I think that those of us who knew what they were for loved them...kinda like knowing that there is a jacket hanger on the side of the seat in front of you in domestic J.
I spoke too soon. I just got off of a YYZ-YHZ flight and my napkin had the button hole. Thank goodness it did as the cannelloni would not have look as good on my shirt as it did on the napkin.
Old Aug 2, 2010, 9:43 pm

Programs: AC A50, SPG Gold, Priority Club Platinum, Air Miles Gold, JAL Hotels Gold
We had them on the YUL --> YYZ and the YYZ --> PHX today... came in handy against the ravages of the waffle syrup...

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.