FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Air Canada | Aeroplan (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/air-canada-aeroplan-375/)
-   -   AC featured on You Tube (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/air-canada-aeroplan/1106446-ac-featured-you-tube.html)

airbus320 Jul 17, 2010 6:11 am

AC featured on You Tube

In today's National Post, Lawrence Solomon has a comment: Sell your Air Canada Stock complete with You Tube video.

http://fullcomment.nationalpost.com/...-canada-stock/

cam_macleod Jul 17, 2010 7:29 am

Sad. Security is obviously important, but a borderline-racist, out of context, hyped-up and dramatically edited youtube video is not helpful.

airbus320 Jul 17, 2010 7:39 am

I just noticed that the initial National Post article has been modified..

The comment now reads: How is AC stock faring ?

And the video is attributed to Mick...

Looks like the NP is having second thoughts.

I posted this because I felt that this was questionable journalism !

Cuteblkmtl Jul 17, 2010 8:12 am

The link no longer works... Maybe NP have pulled off the story?

airbus320 Jul 17, 2010 8:49 am

Originally Posted by Cuteblkmtl (Post 14315441)
The link no longer works... Maybe NP have pulled off the story?

The story is gone indeed.

I was surprised that the NP would allow such a comment to be posted on line.

I wonder if the hard copy edition had the same article

Polar Man Jul 17, 2010 8:56 am

Originally Posted by airbus320 (Post 14315583)

Fear not. Nothing ever goes away on the internet.

do a google search with this exact line

cache:fullcomment.nationalpost.com/2010/07/17/sell-your-air-canada-stock/

As for the video yeah pretty dammed questionable journalism. A real journalist would be asking just what ID checks contribute to security.

Sebring Jul 17, 2010 10:04 am

Originally Posted by Polar Man (Post 14315599)
Fear not. Nothing ever goes away on the internet.

do a google search with this exact line

cache:fullcomment.nationalpost.com/2010/07/17/sell-your-air-canada-stock/

As for the video yeah pretty dammed questionable journalism. A real journalist would be asking just what ID checks contribute to security.

Indeed. You would think that the reporter would want to ask Air Canada, but especially CATSA, how they handle this kind of situation. For example, does the individual with full faced covered get a secondary check by a female CATSA employee?

global happy traveller Jul 17, 2010 11:42 am

wats with National Post vv Air Canada....sounds like they've been ticking one another off in the past year

Shareholder Jul 17, 2010 11:52 am

Originally Posted by airbus320 (Post 14315583)

I was surprised that the NP would allow such a comment to be posted on line.

I wonder if the hard copy edition had the same article

Hadn't noticed this piece in today's paper edition when I read it earlier this morning and just checked again and found no trace of it in the FP section. Thought maybe the new owners might rein in the wild boys at the FP (more rabid types than those over at the NP) but seems not to be the case.

And now having seen the video agree it is the worst type of fear-mongering journalistic inaccuracy. There is nothing unusual when family groups go past the gate point that one person holds all the boarding passes and passports. As well as the fact that each member of the group would have been IDd at security. In fact, I find it utterly stupid that ID must be presented at the gate for just this reason. It is checked upon check-in before security when bags are being processed and boarding passes issued, at one of more times during the security process, and now quite often at the MLL (if one goes there).

I'm afraid Mr. Solomon has jumped the shark on this one!

becreative Jul 17, 2010 12:07 pm

I guess we won't be seeing the National Post on AC flights any time soon :D

airbus320 Jul 17, 2010 12:29 pm

I was curious to learn if AC had any comment about the You Tube clip. I googled and found this article

http://shalomlife.com/eng/13327/Air_...curity_Breach/

Tangoer Jul 17, 2010 4:19 pm

I do not read the FP because it is run by hatemongers and possible communists. And this article is proof. Wake up people, the enemy has already infiltrated our media. And they're not the people living overseas in some 3rd World oil-rich country...

Rant off.

okazon69 Jul 17, 2010 6:25 pm

The video is beyond borderline racist, and since this was filmed in Quebec, presumably without the consent of the people being filmed, I'd actually recommend legal action against the person who posted it on YouTube.

PropWasher Jul 17, 2010 7:08 pm

I know for sure I wouldn't be allowed to board an aircraft with a veil covering my head.

But then I'm just an old white hetero who doesn't hate Jews.

FB_ Jul 17, 2010 7:21 pm

Originally Posted by okazon69 (Post 14317353)
The video is beyond borderline racist, and since this was filmed in Quebec, presumably without the consent of the people being filmed, I'd actually recommend legal action against the person who posted it on YouTube.

Did not see the video so I won't comment on it.

But why would a personal video require someone's consent to be filmed.