Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Including SYD/MEL in mini-R-t-W?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 23, 2010, 12:17 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AC*S100K 1MM, LH FTL, Hyatt Globalist, Accor Plat
Question Including SYD/MEL in mini-R-t-W?

Details? I've read about it but I'm not sure how the MPM works.

For example, MPM YYC-SYD/MEL anybody? Thanks.

It would be awesome to do that.

jlisi984
Old Jun 23, 2010, 12:20 pm

Programs: AC 75K
Yes you can include SYD or MEL. Check the routings thread.

I've routed (from YYZ) to Europe, Asia, Australia, YYZ.
Old Jun 23, 2010, 12:24 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by ChrisA330
Yes you can include SYD or MEL. Check the routings thread.

I've routed (from YYZ) to Europe, Asia, Australia, YYZ.
Yes, but under what MPM is the question... And can you route back through Europe or Asia also or no?
Old Jun 23, 2010, 12:37 pm

Originally Posted by jlisi984
Yes, but under what MPM is the question... And can you route back through Europe or Asia also or no?
Hi Jan - yes it's possible. You'll see a couple examples in the valid rtw routings thread. I'm going Canada-Europe-Aus-Japan-Canada so the MPM might be impacted by the direction of travel, I dunno. If you're not worried about including Asia I think the MPM becomes much easier; including Japan was the only challenge I had in building mine.

Unfortunately I don't know the actual MPM values, sorry!
Old Jun 23, 2010, 12:44 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by cam_macleod
Hi Jan - yes it's possible. You'll see a couple examples in the valid rtw routings thread. I'm going Canada-Europe-Aus-Japan-Canada so the MPM might be impacted by the direction of travel, I dunno. If you're not worried about including Asia I think the MPM becomes much easier; including Japan was the only challenge I had in building mine.

Thank you! Anybody with KVS please advise as to MPM - I'm curious how this works - is the turnaround Asia or Australia?
Old Jun 23, 2010, 12:50 pm

A couple of points.

MPM is not the only way to validate an itinerary...published routings are also available. KVS/Expertflyer can help here too.

Point of turnaround is based on the farthest point from the origin.

For example, YYC-NRT-SIN-SYD-YVR-YYC: SIN is the point of turnaround as YYC-SIN is a farther distance then YYC-SYD.

Not saying this is a valid itinerary, just using it to illustrate how determining turnaround works.
Old Jun 23, 2010, 12:53 pm

For published routings, your turnaround is important.

In looking at the example I posted, I actually don't think this would be allowed as SIN-SYD-YVR-YYC I doubt would be a valid routing.

If you swapped SIN with BKK, that moves your point of turnaround changes to SYD, which then changes the valid routings.
Old Jun 23, 2010, 1:04 pm
Original Poster

Do you have exact routing? Curious...
Old Jun 23, 2010, 1:21 pm

Originally Posted by jlisi984
Do you have exact routing? Curious...
Here's mine:
YYZ-BOS-FRA-IST (stop)
IST-BKK-SYD (stop, and point of turnaround)
SYD-SIN-NRT (stop)
NRT-YYZ

I was told that the first half was fine, but SYD-NRT-YYZ was very tricky. It was over the MPM but the published routing made it workable I think. They wouldn't allow SIN and a transit in the US, but I'm hoping I can replace SIN with ICN and then do this: SYD-ICN-NRT-ORD-YYZ. I haven't called to validate that yet, but if it works that means I avoid fuel surcharges and get to try NH business over the Pacific which would be sweet.
Old Jun 23, 2010, 3:54 pm

New notes to add on this. Called AE a couple times today to discuss different routing ideas.

Current valid routing is YYZ-BOS-FRA-IST-BKK-SYD-SIN-NRT-YYZ

I know that YYZ-BOS-FRA-IST-BKK-SYD is valid and has some room to maneuver, but the return is not as flexible.

Asked about SYD-ICN-NRT-YYZ (1300 miles shorter route): valid
Asked about SYD-ICN-NRT-ORD-YYZ (1000 miles shorter route): not valid

I was told SFO, LAX, ORD all invalid problem for my trip - no airline will allow it on a single ticket. So it's not just the MPM, sometimes you can have a low mileage but still an invalid routing, even when there's no backtracking.
Old Jun 23, 2010, 4:15 pm

I know that YYZ-BOS-FRA-IST-BKK-SYD is valid and has some room to maneuver, but the return is not as flexible.

Asked about SYD-ICN-NRT-YYZ (1300 miles shorter route): valid
Asked about SYD-ICN-NRT-ORD-YYZ (1000 miles shorter route): not valid

I was told SFO, LAX, ORD all invalid problem for my trip - no airline will allow it on a single ticket. So it's not just the MPM, sometimes you can have a low mileage but still an invalid routing, even when there's no backtracking.
Not sure if NRT is a stop for you. But I know that SYD-ICN-SFO/LAX-YYZ is valid. I've booked it previously. Apparently going ICN-ORD-YYZ was not valid.
Old Jun 23, 2010, 6:49 pm

Originally Posted by ChrisA330
Not sure if NRT is a stop for you. But I know that SYD-ICN-SFO/LAX-YYZ is valid. I've booked it previously. Apparently going ICN-ORD-YYZ was not valid.
Yes, NRT is a stop. From there, only routing that works I've been told (when origin is Sydney) is SQ through LAX, but SQ only offers Y seats so no thanks!
Old Jun 24, 2010, 12:35 pm

Starting next week I'll be doing the following mini rtw. I thought I was getting a good deal but based on some of the routings I've seen that include australia, Asia, and Europe, i could have done better!

YYZ-YVR-SYD stop open jaw
CNS-AKL stop
AKL- HNL stop
HNL-YVR-YYZ stop
Old Jun 24, 2010, 8:44 pm

Originally Posted by jetfuel44
Starting next week I'll be doing the following mini rtw. I thought I was getting a good deal but based on some of the routings I've seen that include australia, Asia, and Europe, i could have done better!

YYZ-YVR-SYD stop open jaw
CNS-AKL stop
AKL- HNL stop
HNL-YVR-YYZ stop
I don't think your routing would really count as a mini RTW (although it does look like a good trip). About a year ago Aeroplan changed its rules to allow you to cross either the Atlantic/Pacific on your outbound, and then cross the other ocean on your return. When you factor in that you can have 2 stopovers, this allows you to create a "mini" RTW.

Some people also do routings to SE asia and Australia/New Zealand the "long" way by crossing the Atlantic both ways.
Old Jun 24, 2010, 9:08 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by YEG USER
I don't think your routing would really count as a mini RTW (although it does look like a good trip). About a year ago Aeroplan changed its rules to allow you to cross either the Atlantic/Pacific on your outbound, and then cross the other ocean on your return. When you factor in that you can have 2 stopovers, this allows you to create a "mini" RTW.

Some people also do routings to SE asia and Australia/New Zealand the "long" way by crossing the Atlantic both ways.
YEG USER, do you have the MPM for YYC-SYD? Across the Atl, of course!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.