Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

FAQ: List of valid and booked mini-RTW itineraries

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Sep 4, 2014, 1:23 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: jerryhung
It would help if every member could take a moment to ensure they are posting in the correct thread. This one is meant to be only for listing valid booked mini-RTW itineraries and not questions about booking mini-RTW which belong in this thread:

Mini RTW Questions

Newer members who are just coming to find the whole topic are likewise encouraged to read and pose their questions in this thread:

The Complete Newbie Guide/FAQ to the Air Canada Aeroplan Mini-RTW

Want to find the new MPM after 10/29/2014?
Aeroplan City Pair mileage (new pseudo-MPM) - FlyerTalk Forums

List of valid and booked Mini-RTW 2.0 (post-2014 version of this thread)
Print Wikipost

FAQ: List of valid and booked mini-RTW itineraries

Search this Thread

Old Jul 27, 2015, 10:10 am

Originally Posted by kwflyer
Backtracking routing wise, is allowed so along as you don't go over the new mpm.

Backtracking in terms of transiting the same airport twice on the same inbound or outbound is not allowed. Unless its the only routing available to get you to your destination or stopover.

While diminishing a lot of mini RTW's the new rules do allow the user to be a lot more creative with more practical/regional routings that otherwise would have been restricted by a regional published routing (which weren't all that generous) or maxing out at M5. New rules are also supposedly on the books to make european routings even more generous (but not Mini RTW) in the coming months.
Is there more "enhancement" coming? really?
Aeroplan making current rules more generous? sounds very unlike AP
Old Jul 27, 2015, 10:18 am
Suspended

Programs: AC Elite 50K, Amex AP Plat, Choice Privileges, National Exec Elite, Via Prefrence
Originally Posted by jerryhung
Is there more "enhancement" coming? really?
Aeroplan making current rules more generous? sounds very unlike AP
From what I've been told it will be a value add to the customer. It won't significantly affect AP's cost structure (given how they reimburse the Airlines) so it will follow the ever successful low cost/high value marketing strategy.
Old Jul 27, 2015, 12:54 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by dyslexicheart
ARN-TXL SK J (actually 2 nights in CPH via train then 4 in Berlin)
Just FYI, SK doesn't have intra-Europe J. It's called "SAS Plus". The only difference between it and Y is that you get free crappy food and either one or three free drinks, depending on flight length. There will be someone in the middle seat.

I know it's a short flight, but better to set your expectations. My first experience in "J" was very disappointing
Old Aug 1, 2015, 6:09 am

Originally Posted by tng11
Fresh booking today:

YYZ-ORD UA F
ORD-FRA LH F
FRA-HND LH F (23 hour stop)
HND-BKK TG F (20 hour stop)
BKK-SIN SQ J
SIN-DPS SQ J

DPS-SIN SQ J (20 hour stop)
SIN-HKG UA F (23 hour stop)
HKG-PEK CA J (7 day stopover, doing a tour in North Korea)
PEK-ICN CA J
ICN-FRA LH J **Change to F at T-14 - (6 month stopover for study abroad)
FRA-ORD UA F
ORD-YYZ AC J

215,000 miles + $1,008.10 (Came out a bit lower than I expected given the LH and TG segments)
So something very strange happened with this itinerary. When the charge hit my card - the $1,008.10 turned out to be in USD.

After some arguing I was able to cancel it without fee and did a fresh booking for the following less agonizing routing:

YYZ-PHL AC Y
PHL-FRA LH F (last of the 744 seat+bed combo flights - 15h layover FRA)
FRA-HKG LH F (21h layover HKG)
HKG-SIN SQ J
SIN-DPS SQ J

DPS-SIN SQ J
SIN-HKG UA F (23h layover HKG)
HKG-PEK CA J
PEK-ICN CA J
ICN-FRA LH F (6 month stopover)
FRA-ORD UA F
ORD-YYZ AC Y

The above was $1,211 CAD.
Old Aug 1, 2015, 6:42 am

Programs: Aeroplan, Alaska, Marriott
really?? USD?? any idea why...?
Old Aug 1, 2015, 7:21 am

Booked for next summer May-June 2016

YYZ-ORD AC J
ORD-NRT NH J (Stopover)
HND-HIJ NH Y
HIJ-ICN OZ J (24hr layover)
ICN-HKG OZ J
HKG-SIN SQ J
SIN-MEL SQ J (Turnaround)

MEL-SIN SQ J (Stopover)
SIN-TPE BR J
TPE-IST TK J (8 hour layover)
IST-YYZ TK J

Taxes and fees were ~$500 per person
Old Aug 1, 2015, 1:11 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by Cerenity
really?? USD?? any idea why...?
I can't speak for that case, but I have a US address on my account, so taxes and fees are always charged in USD.

Aeroplan has told me they can't change it though - it's forced based on my address.

Whereas with Air Canada, I can ask them to charge it in whatever currency I want (which I've done in the past for various non-nefarious reasons).
Old Aug 1, 2015, 2:06 pm

Is this because your credit cards are also tied to that address?

If you have a canadian credit card with a canadian address just change the address for the duration of the booking, once it and the fees go through change it back.
Old Aug 1, 2015, 8:23 pm

I've had a US address on the account for a short time and changed it back to my Canadian one 2 days before I made the booking. It seems that online, Aeroplan was pricing out in CAD for me but somehow the agent's side had lagged in updating the country of the account. Very strange issue.

As another aside:

I got the e-mail itinerary for my new ticket and discovered that the SIN-DPS segment was booked 2 days later than I asked for (supposed to be a 2 hour connection in SIN.) Called in and rectified the error for no fee - otherwise I would have managed to slip an itinerary with 3 stopovers + destinations right under Aeroplan's nose.
Old Aug 3, 2015, 7:58 pm

Originally Posted by tng11
I've had a US address on the account for a short time and changed it back to my Canadian one 2 days before I made the booking. It seems that online, Aeroplan was pricing out in CAD for me but somehow the agent's side had lagged in updating the country of the account. Very strange issue.

As another aside:

I got the e-mail itinerary for my new ticket and discovered that the SIN-DPS segment was booked 2 days later than I asked for (supposed to be a 2 hour connection in SIN.) Called in and rectified the error for no fee - otherwise I would have managed to slip an itinerary with 3 stopovers + destinations right under Aeroplan's nose.
Congrats! Nice booking. ^

One question from me: does the "10 segments" limit still exist?? I am surprised that you could book 13 segments, then it seems you could even easily change it to 11 segments .

Last edited by tonywush; Aug 3, 2015 at 10:49 pm
Old Aug 8, 2015, 11:04 am

Programs: OZ Diamond, Jiffypark Manhattan Gold
I love lookin at these, always makes me jealous though haven't had the time to do a trip like this that is also worth the money/points. Can't say I would've wanted to spend the $1200 though it is a great set of flights. I hadn't thought of using it for international study or anything like that, seems brilliant. Have a big blowout trip before hunkering down and grinding. I THOUGHT though you couldn't cross the same city twice? I had some routings I looked at that would grey out all of the next flight choices and the only reason I could come up with was crossing the same city as they should've easily been within MPM (at least I thought so).
Old Aug 8, 2015, 5:51 pm

Originally Posted by drvannostren
I THOUGHT though you couldn't cross the same city twice? I had some routings I looked at that would grey out all of the next flight choices and the only reason I could come up with was crossing the same city as they should've easily been within MPM (at least I thought so).
You can if they are on each side of your destination. YYZ-IST-ATH-IST-BOM = bad; YYZ-IST-ATH-BOM-IST = good.
Old Aug 9, 2015, 4:09 pm

Thanks joeags, learn something new every day here.
Old Aug 9, 2015, 5:09 pm

Programs: Non-status bottomfeeder
Originally Posted by drvannostren
I THOUGHT though you couldn't cross the same city twice? I had some routings I looked at that would grey out all of the next flight choices and the only reason I could come up with was crossing the same city as they should've easily been within MPM (at least I thought so).
Makes for some interesting "forced" choices. My last true MiniRTW went YVR-NRT-CTS/CTS-TPE-CDG//ZRH-YUL-YVR

I had to play with dates so much to get a "valid" route out of CTS. Most of the availability to get out of Japan is ex-TYO and sometimes ex-KIX. Finding a CTS-TPE or CTS-PEK flight was tough.

Then my next trip coming up is south America via the Caribbean. Most of the small Caribbean islands have problems with backtracking. Not every island is served by both CM and AV. We were forced to go LIM-BOG-AUA/AUA-PTY-onwards simply because so many other islands had no availability directly back to north america or always forced a return back to BOG or PTY (where you just were and would be considered backtracking).

The more you know
Old Aug 9, 2015, 5:33 pm

Originally Posted by zoobtoob
Makes for some interesting "forced" choices. My last true MiniRTW went YVR-NRT-CTS/CTS-TPE-CDG//ZRH-YUL-YVR

I had to play with dates so much to get a "valid" route out of CTS. Most of the availability to get out of Japan is ex-TYO and sometimes ex-KIX. Finding a CTS-TPE or CTS-PEK flight was tough.

Then my next trip coming up is south America via the Caribbean. Most of the small Caribbean islands have problems with backtracking. Not every island is served by both CM and AV. We were forced to go LIM-BOG-AUA/AUA-PTY-onwards simply because so many other islands had no availability directly back to north america or always forced a return back to BOG or PTY (where you just were and would be considered backtracking).

The more you know
Buddy this is the EXACT problem I had, I don't remember what routing I was trying to do, but one of them came up as only BOG available and I couldn't route back through there as I had to go that way the first time cuz PTY didn't have space available. But so I guess I still don't get it, if AUA is your turnaround, why can't you go back through BOG to get home?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.