Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

"Candy for the Crew Week": April 26th - May 2

Old Apr 20, 2010, 6:02 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Aeroplan 75K | Latitude Flight Pass junkie

Let's send some positive vibes from the FT community to the crews by bringing them chocolate or candy on our flights. If you are flying next week - buy some chocolates and hand them to the SD or whichever crewmate greets you as you board

Happy crew = happy passengers.

I know this seems cheezy, but this year, I have been bringing chocolates for the crew and giving it to them when I board and simply tell them "these are for you guys" I got the idea from a fellow FT'er (can't remember which one).

I have honestly found the service in the past 12 months to be very, very good so I just wanted to reinforce it with small token of thanks. My patronage is enough, but small gestures go a long way.

On my last run, I caught a crew on their return leg of a YVR/YYZ/YVR round trip. They were VERY tired. Man - were they appreciative of a little chocolate. Almost every last one of them came around to thank me for the energy boost (and they usually refilled my glass of wine).

If you participate, post your experience here.

But, if you think it is a bad idea, please don't bash the idea here. If nobody is interested, the thread will sink to page 10 soon enough...
Old Apr 20, 2010, 6:22 pm

Programs: AC *50K MM; WS Platinum; Marriott Lifetime Titanium Elite
I think it's a good idea

While I don't do it routinely, every so often I will pick up some goodies for the crew, and my feeling is that they appreciate it. It's no different from what I'd do for the other service providers in my life, and God knows that Air Canada staff have a lot to do with mine!!

Acknowledgment and appreciation are huge motivators in any workplace, and in the plane is no different.

I'll take you up on the challenge YVR72 - I have one return flight next week and I'll remember to take something edible for the crew, at least for the outbound leg. I hope lots of other FT'ers do as well.

As an aside, so far I've had the best reaction to Crave cupcakes. Apparently they continue to be everyone's fave!
Old Apr 20, 2010, 7:18 pm

Great idea and if I was travelling that week I'd definitely participate. AC crew members have given me plenty of candy and chocolate in my time (after I've coded their declaration form, I should add). It's time to return the favour.
Old Apr 20, 2010, 7:19 pm

100% agreed! I have no flights that week unfortunately.

We flew to CDG Christmas Eve 2008, and I brought chocolates for the crew. I hope, but am not certain, that they were fairly distributed. :-)
Old Apr 20, 2010, 9:19 pm

Programs: AC*E, SPG Platinum/Ambassador, Marriott Platinum
Wonderful idea. I'll be flying twice or frice that week so I'll pack some goodies.

Out of curiosity, are FAs permitted to accept a glass of wine or liquor offered by a passenger? I'm guessing that it's frowned upon at the very least, if not outright banned.

I'll have to make sure my chocolate truffles have no brandy in them.
Old Apr 20, 2010, 9:27 pm

Programs: On Sabbatical, BA Bronze
Originally Posted by analyyzer
Wonderful idea. I'll be flying twice or frice that week so I'll pack some goodies.

Out of curiosity, are FAs permitted to accept a glass of wine or liquor offered by a passenger? I'm guessing that it's frowned upon at the very least, if not outright banned.

I'll have to make sure my chocolate truffles have no brandy in them.
Safety is their first priority, so that's a non-starter. Wouldn't be viewed much differently than drinks in the cockpit I'd imagine.

Best to keep it non-alcoholic
Old Apr 20, 2010, 10:32 pm

i find cash stuffed in envelopes is always appreciated...
Old Apr 21, 2010, 5:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Every return flight ex LAS,I provide Ethel M chocolate to flight crew.Doing so for years.
My home airport is YSB and I have been bringing a Christmas gift basket annually on one of my last outbound flights before Christmas to the Jazz staff for years.
Old Apr 21, 2010, 5:48 am

Programs: Aeroplan/Hilton Gold/Marriott Bonvoy Titanium/Accor/Hyatt Gold Passport
When you bring on that assorted box of Neuhaus Beligan Truffles, please ensure that Seniority and preferences are recognized during the distribution/offering process as per the following caste system..

>Seniority
>FA/FT Members (Moderators, Evangelists, All others)
>Any Remaining Lowly F/A's (Blockholders followed by Reserve)
>Geographical Considerations in the following order - YYZ/YUL/YVR/YYC

If Candy for the Crew Week is here to stay, we want consistency!

P.S. And for heavens sakes please make sure the cabin lights are not dimmed while this is all being carried out

Last edited by ACYYZ/SD; Apr 21, 2010 at 5:53 am
Old Apr 21, 2010, 5:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by naplesyrupeater
i find cash stuffed in envelopes is always appreciated...
Old Apr 21, 2010, 6:22 am

Location: Usually on a ship looking for oil and gas; Uruguay, Malaysia, Turkey, Nigeria, Libya, Egypt, Norway, Scotland, India, Congo & Angola, next project who knows? Agreed to CC rules
Programs: AC Altitude E75K/*G, AS MVP, AF/KLM Petroleum Club, BA Blue
I've being doing this for my first domestic AC flight and for my first TALT AC flight of the calendar year for the last couple of years. My favourite concierge also gets random Tim Horton cards/Starbucks cards at various times of year.
Old Apr 21, 2010, 8:12 am

Programs: UA 50K, refugee from AC E50K, Marriott Lifetime Plat
Originally Posted by ACYYZ/SD
... please ensure that Seniority and preferences are recognized during the distribution/offering process as per the following caste system.
Wot?! SDs get first dibs on the chocolates? Forget it! I'm outta here!
Old Apr 21, 2010, 9:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by ACYYZ/SD
When you bring on that assorted box of Neuhaus Beligan Truffles, please ensure that Seniority and preferences are recognized during the distribution/offering process as per the following caste system..

>Seniority
>FA/FT Members (Moderators, Evangelists, All others)
>Any Remaining Lowly F/A's (Blockholders followed by Reserve)
>Geographical Considerations in the following order - YYZ/YUL/YVR/YYC

If Candy for the Crew Week is here to stay, we want consistency!

P.S. And for heavens sakes please make sure the cabin lights are not dimmed while this is all being carried out
Please provide a crew manifest for this pax identifying your seniority and seating preferences.Do you also have luggage tags confirming said seniority.
Would a YYC FA be able to use an u/g certificate to trump the higher status FAs.?Is there a special phone number we can reach you at confirming no food allergies to said truffles?Do you need to requalify annually for seniority status for truffles?Do they need to be provided to you in both official languages with a safety video?Do we provide drinks with chocolate?
Can we serve these truffles during turbulance?May get bumpy with other FAs seeing favoratism to one FA over another. Is a priority waitlist a given should we not have your choice of chocolate truffle?Need I give compensation to you should the box I present the truffles in not match the product?.......................................... ...............
Old Apr 21, 2010, 9:08 am

Programs: Aeroplan/Hilton Gold/Marriott Bonvoy Titanium/Accor/Hyatt Gold Passport
Originally Posted by acysb87
Please provide a crew manifest for this pax identifying your seniority and seating preferences.Do you also have luggage tags confirming said seniority.
Would a YYC FA be able to use an u/g certificate to trump the higher status FAs.?Is there a special phone number we can reach you at confirming no food allergies to said truffles?Do you need to requalify annually for seniority status for truffles?Do they need to be provided to you in both official languages with a safety video?Do we provide drinks with chocolate?
Can we serve these truffles during turbulance?May get bumpy with other FAs seeing favoratism to one FA over another. Is a priority waitlist a given should we not have your choice of chocolate truffle?Need I give compensation to you should the box I present the truffles in not match the product?.......................................... ...............
Just make sure that you save the Noisette encrusted truffle with the cognac/prune cream filling for me
Old Apr 21, 2010, 9:54 am

You know, I have never thought of doing this. I/we always tip the postman during the holiday season, the garbage men sometimes gets a 2-4 (again the holiday season), but the random time I fly I've always had a great time. This coming June I will definitely be getting some chocolates...it will be even better ones if I am able to upgrade with my SSWU lol

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.