Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Best AC Duty Free values?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 5, 2010, 8:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: OWEmerald; STARGold; BonvoyPlat; IHGPlat/Amb; HiltonGold; A|ClubPat; AirMilesPlat
Best AC Duty Free values?

Just curious what people see as the best value offered by AC's inflight Duty Free? Obviously it varies by taste, budget and aspirational considerations. Anyone want to venture their "best deal", whether you actually have bought it or not.

For someone who enjoys a luxury scotch, AC does appear to offer a couple of values when compared with the Ontario LCBO retail cost. And if one is flying in the front cabin, the 15% discount makes it an even better deal. Tack on the $10 voucher we get in our elite kits, and it improves further. The best deal still appears to be Johnny Walker Blue, with a litre bottle going for $208 comparing with $246 for a 750ml bottle at the LCBO ($328 per litre). Sitting in J brings it down to $177 and the voucher makes it $167, or half price.

But then is a single glass of scotch worth even $20?
Old Jan 5, 2010, 9:22 am

Programs: Various airline, hotel and credit card programs
Compared to earlier in 2009, the current deals seem to be less attractive.
The 15% J cabin discount seems is gone - unless one preorders in advance. I was in J on Dec. 22 (YYZ-FRA) and the in charge FA taking care or duty-free orders could not offer the 15% off anymore. Out of 2 items, he brought me 1 that was wrong, and that after I dutifully filled in the shopping sheet! But that's another story...
Old Jan 5, 2010, 9:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Crown Royal at $24.00 for 1.14 litre bottle,IIRC
Old Jan 5, 2010, 9:42 am

Programs: UA 50K, refugee from AC E50K, Marriott Lifetime Plat
Originally Posted by Shareholder
Yes.
Old Jan 5, 2010, 10:31 am

Programs: AC*E, Airmiles Onyx (reluctantly), Marriott Titanium, IHG PC Platinum
That would be cheap as the cheapest I've ever seen JW Blue was $150 in Asia (plus a free bag).

Compared to retail AC is not necessarily cheaper (Chivas Salute is about $155/bottle, before discounts, the BC liquor store is $150, Alberta is around $120)!

I have never bought on an AC flight as the airports always have better deals, and I do shop around as I bring a list of 10 items I would buy and keep track of the pricing comparative to the liquor store and past trips - AC has never been a good deal.
Old Jan 5, 2010, 10:42 am

Programs: AC E75K *G
There are often good deals on cosmetics.

Also, my older son once roared with laughter when the FA went past offering duty free, thinking he was saying "Duty Free....Whore Tax.....Duty Free...." That was priceless.
Old Jan 5, 2010, 10:47 am

i only see good values with the Johnny Walker black label for my neighbour..... prices comparable to Asia too.... but then if i buy on AC, i save on the exchange rate hassell.....

other time where i see AC duty free as valuable is when i tick my wife off for being out of town too often and i am in need of a desperate present..... i dont know how to quantify that one
Old Jan 5, 2010, 1:32 pm

Programs: AC SE100K, HH G
Absolutely ... but I would never pay that for a Johnnie Walker (of any colour). But a Macallan 18 yo would do it for me!
Old Jan 5, 2010, 2:38 pm

Programs: AC E50K
Don't forget you don't pay PST/GST/HST and also get AP points with your AC Duty Free purchase. BC PST on liquor is 10% (not 7%).

If you pre-order, you can have extra discount:

# Enjoy a greater selection:

* Over 25 items exclusive to pre-order

# Earn Aeroplan miles:

* Spend $49-$199 CAD:
Earn 1.5 miles for every $1 spent.
* Spend $200-$1000 CAD:
Earn 2 miles for every $1 spent.

# Get extra savings with:

* Latitude Plus (Y,M,U) fares - 10%
* Executive First (J,C,Z) fares - 15%

I usually pre-order Inniskillin icewine gift pack of 3 bottles for $145 (gift to clients visiting). Add the discount (10 or 15%) and no PST/GST, it is a pretty good deal.
Old Jan 5, 2010, 7:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: A3&O6 Gold,IC AMB & HH Diamond
Originally Posted by zorn
There are often good deals on cosmetics.

Also, my older son once roared with laughter when the FA went past offering duty free, thinking he was saying "Duty Free....Whore Tax.....Duty Free...." That was priceless.
lol
Old Jan 5, 2010, 9:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: OWEmerald; STARGold; BonvoyPlat; IHGPlat/Amb; HiltonGold; A|ClubPat; AirMilesPlat
It appears that the 15% inflight discount has been removed and is now limited to pre-orders. Suppose that came about by the fact that FAs gave the same discount to full-J/Z/C passengers as well as R/I upgraders while the discount was supposed to be more restricted. Well, guess I'll settle for that Macallan which is still a reasonable deal.
Old Jan 6, 2010, 5:03 am

Programs: Various airline, hotel and credit card programs
It appears that the 15% inflight discount has been removed and is now limited to pre-orders. Suppose that came about by the fact that FAs gave the same discount to full-J/Z/C passengers as well as R/I upgraders while the discount was supposed to be more restricted. Well, guess I'll settle for that Macallan which is still a reasonable deal.
I do follow your logic. However, with the prices up and the discount gone, I found always better deals on single malt scotch in FRA/MUC/VIE. Very often, they have a 30% off sale. Before Christmas, one could get a EUR1 coin in the LH lounge (close to gate A26 in FRA) to use in the airport duty-free shops. Currently the f/x rate CAD vs. EUR is more favourable as well.
Old Jan 6, 2010, 6:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Vaclav
I do follow your logic. However, with the prices up and the discount gone, I found always better deals on single malt scotch in FRA/MUC/VIE. Very often, they have a 30% off sale. Before Christmas, one could get a EUR1 coin in the LH lounge (close to gate A26 in FRA) to use in the airport duty-free shops. Currently the f/x rate CAD vs. EUR is more favourable as well.
I'll be flying to/from NRT today/Monday which is not known for outstanding values in its Duty Free shops. However, will most likely pick up a few Japanese "whiskies" to add to my collection, and with which I can do a comparison tasting.

Yes, I've got a few FRA "coins" to use later in the month when I travel through that airport.
Old Jan 6, 2010, 8:18 am

Programs: AC AP Elite
Just curious what people see as the best value offered by AC's inflight Duty Free? Obviously it varies by taste, budget and aspirational considerations. Anyone want to venture their "best deal", whether you actually have bought it or not.

For someone who enjoys a luxury scotch, AC does appear to offer a couple of values when compared with the Ontario LCBO retail cost. And if one is flying in the front cabin, the 15% discount makes it an even better deal. Tack on the $10 voucher we get in our elite kits, and it improves further. The best deal still appears to be Johnny Walker Blue, with a litre bottle going for $208 comparing with $246 for a 750ml bottle at the LCBO ($328 per litre). Sitting in J brings it down to $177 and the voucher makes it $167, or half price.

JW Blue is $179 a 750 ml bottle here in Alberta in the Real Canadian Liquorstore, so the LCBO and the Ontario government are obviously making some $$$$.
Old Jan 6, 2010, 8:39 am

Programs: AC*SE, SPG Gold, HH D
Originally Posted by a78jumper
JW Blue is $179 a 750 ml bottle here in Alberta in the Real Canadian Liquorstore, so the LCBO and the Ontario government are obviously making some $$$$.

The LCBO is OBSCENELY overpriced when it comes to scotch. The first time I saw the price on a bottle of Lagavulin 16yo I just about swallowed my tongue, and thanked my lucky stars that I still had most of a bottle in my liquor cabinet. I paid $70 for it at the SAQ a few years aago - it's now up to $100 at the SAQ and $125 at the LCBO.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.