Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Coming Soon - Seat Recline Fees

Search this Thread

Old Nov 14, 2009, 5:31 am
Original Poster
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Starwood Plt, Hilton Gold (got it free) AC Elite, Fairmont Plt, Priority Club Plt
Coming Soon - Seat Recline Fees

You asked for choices, we listened. First we offered fees so you could get the seat you want. Now we are pleased to be the first Canadian airline to offer you seat pitch fees.

Yes, we are retooling all our seats with coin operated recline features. For 1 lonnie you will be able to recline your seat for up to 2 hours. For seats with more than the standard recline pitch, the fee is only a twoonie. The seat will ask for additional fees after 2 hours. If no additional fee is paid within 10 mniutes the seat will automatically return to the upright positin.

We know many don't like it when the passenger in-front reclines, so for $10 per flights you can have the recline feature on the seat behind you blocked.

Should the passenger whose seat you are trying to block already paid for the recline option, bells at both seats will ring. You then have the option to enter a bidding war for the feature. The one that pays the largest additional fee wins. No refunds will be given for any fees paid in anticipation of any special feature.

Last edited by dmgt; Nov 14, 2009 at 5:57 am
Old Nov 14, 2009, 5:33 am

Programs: ACMM / Altitude S100K / HH Diamond
Already have this ... on my flight yesterday I told the pax in front of me that if they did not stop reclining during the meal, they would pay for it!
Old Nov 14, 2009, 6:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by PreferBulkhead
Already have this ... on my flight yesterday I told the pax in front of me that if they did not stop reclining during the meal, they would pay for it!
That pax's relative must have been on my FRA-YYZ flight this week.
Old Nov 14, 2009, 7:06 am

Really, so there is a rule somewhere that says you cannot recline your seat during the meal service? Interesting.
Old Nov 14, 2009, 7:07 am

Originally Posted by Dmanmtl
Really, so there is a rule somewhere that says you cannot recline your seat during the meal service? Interesting.
It is called common courtesy, as you may be reclining back over the tray of the person behind you who may still be trying to eat, even though you may be done.
Old Nov 14, 2009, 7:13 am
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP 2MM; Marriott Titanium; Hilton Diamond; Hyatt Explorist; Vistana 5* Elite; Nat'l Exec Elite
It is called common courtesy, as you may be reclining back over the tray of the person behind you who may still be trying to eat, even though you may be done.
It's great having a tall person in front recline during meal service. I love having hair in my food.
Old Nov 14, 2009, 7:25 am

Programs: AC E75 / Marriott Titanium Elite
Given the economy pitch these days, I don't understand why any of the seats are able to recline at all. I'm 6'1", not that tall really and it is impossible for me to read, watch the in-flight entertainment, etc when the seat in front of me is reclined. It would be a very welcome move if/when this is removed entirely.
Old Nov 14, 2009, 7:27 am

and...

And how do you "make him pay" if someone does this to you? Meet him in the jetway on the ay out for a little "tune up" ?

Frankly, I recline my seat whenever I please, unless someone asks me politely not to for s short period of time (ie: while they eat). I once had a guy on a flight from YUL to YVR ask me not to reline my seat for the whole flight because he wanted to use his computer. I told him that was an unacceptable request, he complained to the FA and she told him to get a life (in a more polite way)
Old Nov 14, 2009, 7:48 am
Suspended

Programs: Royal Ambassador/ SPG Platinum 75/Marriott gold
Great thread!
I always bring my seat up for a meal, after than back it goes for the flight. No way i could sit on a long flight without recline!
Old Nov 14, 2009, 8:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by YZF_Elite
Given the economy pitch these days, I don't understand why any of the seats are able to recline at all. I'm 6'1", not that tall really and it is impossible for me to read, watch the in-flight entertainment, etc when the seat in front of me is reclined. It would be a very welcome move if/when this is removed entirely.
Actually the other day, in J on an EMB, I ended up unable to recline my seat because it hit the legs of the (relatively tall) guy behind me.

So the issue is not in Y only these days.
Old Nov 14, 2009, 8:58 am

Programs: UA 1K, AA ExPlat, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Plat, Marriott Gold
I recall that on longhaul flights with meals, the FAs ask passengers to have their seat upright as a courtesy to the passenger behind them.

If AC is going the route of preferred seats, or even recline, I suggest they do invest in a premium econ section (or E+ with greater recline).

Also, maybe someone can answer this as it has been a while since AC let me sit in a bulkhead seat -- do some of the front rows in econ actually have less legroom? I thought this was the case, but cannot recall.
Old Nov 14, 2009, 9:06 am

I once had a guy on a flight from YUL to YVR ask me not to reline my seat for the whole flight because he wanted to use his computer.
I have had my laptop screen nearly broken a few times due to a sudden recline of the seat in front where the top of the screen gets caught in top corner of the space the tray would usually sit and the laptop is then jammed against the tray. "Courtesy" would also indicate at least looking back to check that all is clear. "Courtesy" is often lacking, however....
Old Nov 14, 2009, 9:15 am

And how do you "make him pay" if someone does this to you? Meet him in the jetway on the ay out for a little "tune up" ?

Frankly, I recline my seat whenever I please, unless someone asks me politely not to for s short period of time (ie: while they eat).
You sound delightful. Sure hope I don't get stuck behind you.

Common courtesy is harder to find these days. Reclining on short haul flights and during meals is simply not cool
Old Nov 14, 2009, 9:19 am

Programs: AC SE100K
I hate when people in front of me recline their seat, so, as a courtesy, I never do it.
Old Nov 14, 2009, 9:20 am

Frankly, I recline my seat whenever I please, unless someone asks me politely not to for s short period of time (ie: while they eat). I once had a guy on a flight from YUL to YVR ask me not to reline my seat for the whole flight because he wanted to use his computer. I told him that was an unacceptable request, he complained to the FA and she told him to get a life (in a more polite way)
Yes you are indeed a delightful flyer

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.