Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Africa > Africa
Reload this Page >

NBO / Nairobi Airport - Connections, Facilities, Layovers, etc.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

NBO / Nairobi Airport - Connections, Facilities, Layovers, etc.

Search this Thread

Old Apr 27, 2013, 6:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Location: Seat 1A, Juice pretty much everywhere, Mucci des Coins Exotiques
Originally Posted by alaskaphotomom
I am wondering if there are any recent updates on this topic. I have a day to spend in Nairobi this fall before a late flight out. I was thinking of hiring a car to go to Nairobi National Park. Has anyone had recent experience with Europcar or have other reliable/safe suggestions?
If you are used to Africa, you should be fine hiring a car and driving yourself. I've done it plenty of times. However if it's your first time you might want to take the suggestion of having a driver. And I should say that if the "mom" in your handle means you are female I would not recommend driving around alone in East Africa.

There are travel desks as you come out of arrivals at the airport where you can hire a car and driver.
Old Apr 27, 2013, 8:48 am

Programs: AA EXP and Eurostar Carte Blanche
Yes, I'd definitely check with the Intercontinental Hotel / Europcar desk in the arrivals hall and negotiate a car and driver for the day. For a short layover it's not worth it to go through the hassle and danger of driving yourself unless you already have a good deal of experience driving in that part of the world and you know the roads around Nairobi.
Old Apr 27, 2013, 12:25 pm

Thanks everyone. I should have been more clear that my intent was indeed to hire a car AND DRIVER.
Old Jun 19, 2013, 11:57 am

Programs: continental united starwood hilton marriott
hotel nbo

one night stay before safari. hotel recommendations appreciated
Old Jun 19, 2013, 5:18 pm
Suspended

Your budget is what?
Old Jun 19, 2013, 7:13 pm

Programs: continental united starwood hilton marriott
budget

Would love to pay less than $200.00 but have have no idea as to prices. Went to Starwood and Marriott sites but no hotels. Looking for lodging similar to what I could get from either Marriott or Starwood
Old Jun 20, 2013, 1:36 am

NBO 1 Day Transit

I just changed a UA award and we now have 14 hours 12pm-2am, in NBO. It will be out first time in NBO, and we'd like to see as much as possible.

Does anyone have any suggestions for a driver that would be good for the afternoon? We probably won't stay out much later than dinner, so we'd probably only need him from say 1pm-10pm. If no one knows of any specific person to use, any suggestions on the price I should start bargaining at with the drivers at the airport?

Cheers
Old Jun 21, 2013, 7:01 pm
Suspended

Do some research on Expedia. Where is the safari company picking you up?
Old Jun 22, 2013, 8:37 am

I have the same situation in August and booked 1 night at the Nairobi Hilton.
Old Jun 22, 2013, 7:35 pm

Programs: AA EXP 2MM
I recently stayed at the newly opened Best Western Nairobi. The price is well within your budget and the hotel & restaurant were perfectly fine. We used it also for a one-night stay before heading off on safari.
Old Jun 23, 2013, 8:24 am

Programs: Delta DM, *A Plat
Originally Posted by SirJman
I just changed a UA award and we now have 14 hours 12pm-2am, in NBO. It will be out first time in NBO, and we'd like to see as much as possible.

Does anyone have any suggestions for a driver that would be good for the afternoon? We probably won't stay out much later than dinner, so we'd probably only need him from say 1pm-10pm. If no one knows of any specific person to use, any suggestions on the price I should start bargaining at with the drivers at the airport?

Cheers
You can just arrange with a taxi driver at the airport; drivers are generally friendly and honest. Fare from the airport to downtown is around KES 2200 (~USD 25). For a roundtrip to the airport and wait time you could start in the KES 10,000 range.

There is a wildlife park close to the airport that I've never been to but friends say it is nice. For a very good dinner you can try Tamarind downtown. For a good drinks and social spot try Gypsys in the Westlands. Have a coffee by the pool at the Serena Hotel downtown.
Old Jun 23, 2013, 8:32 am

Programs: Delta DM, *A Plat
The Intercontinental is preferable to the Hilton, though I've stayed innumberable times at the Hilton and it is fine although the rooms are in dire need of an update. Both hotels are downtown and usually in the $200/night range.

A bit further out is the relatively new Sankara in the Westlands, which is very nice, but may be out of your price range.

I usually stay at the Serena downtown, which is also very good, but again may be out of your price range (though good rates can be had).

I know there is a new Best Western and Crowne Plaza that are probably just fine.

I've tried one or two hotels closer to the airport for one night stays but would recommend the longer trip into downtown.
Old Jun 23, 2013, 10:49 pm

Programs: AA EXP 2MM
I recently used an outfit called AirCab (you can google their website) for airport transfers and also for a driver for an afternoon. John handles the emails and usually responds within minutes. Prices seemed fair. We were particularly pleased with one driver, Peter, who was a real gentleman, had a super clean car, and was very much on time. I will specifically ask for him next time I'm in NBO.
Old Jun 23, 2013, 10:59 pm

Originally Posted by jiaotze
I recently used an outfit called AirCab (you can google their website) for airport transfers and also for a driver for an afternoon. John handles the emails and usually responds within minutes. Prices seemed fair. We were particularly pleased with one driver, Peter, who was a real gentleman, had a super clean car, and was very much on time. I will specifically ask for him next time I'm in NBO.
Looks like they have reasonable rates for extended service -

8 Hours Taxi Service (Mileage 100 Kilometers; Extra Mileage KES. 80 or 1 US$ per Kilometer) 6,500

4 Hours Taxi Service (Mileage 50 Kilometers; Extra Mileage KES. 80 or 1 US$ per Kilometer) 3,500

Anyone else know of competitors which might offer similar services?
Old Jun 24, 2013, 2:40 am

They did indeed respond to emails blazing fast. But they said they will not allow the taxis to visit the national park, because there have been issues with cars getting stuck.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.