Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Africa > Africa
Reload this Page >

NBO / Nairobi Airport - Connections, Facilities, Layovers, etc.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 8, 2008, 2:53 pm
Original Poster

Can advise whether there is any sort of luggage storage available at NBO? Specifically, I'd like to leave a hardsided suitcase containing cold-weather clothes from my European stopover as well as any souvenirs purchased in Nairobi, and carry just my duffel with safari/beach clothes for the next week. I am returning from Zanzibar through NBO, and will have a five-hour layover there before my international flight, so I should have enough time to retrieve my bag.

In google searches, I've found several statements to the effect that NBO has a left luggage office, but my travel agent has advised that there are no luggage storage facilities at the airport, and that my only option would be to have the ground operator in Nairobi hold onto the bags, and then coordinate with them to drop off the bags at the airport when we arrive from Zanzibar. This would cost $80, and would also require leaving the secure area of the airport to pick up the bags from the driver. Given this conflicting info, I'm a little confused. If anyone with recent experience could advise on left luggage options at NBO, I would greatly appreciate it.
Old Sep 9, 2008, 1:16 am

Programs: QR Platinum, TK Elite
Originally Posted by dillard8
Can advise whether there is any sort of luggage storage available at NBO? Specifically, I'd like to leave a hardsided suitcase containing cold-weather clothes from my European stopover as well as any souvenirs purchased in Nairobi, and carry just my duffel with safari/beach clothes for the next week. I am returning from Zanzibar through NBO, and will have a five-hour layover there before my international flight, so I should have enough time to retrieve my bag.

In google searches, I've found several statements to the effect that NBO has a left luggage office, but my travel agent has advised that there are no luggage storage facilities at the airport, and that my only option would be to have the ground operator in Nairobi hold onto the bags, and then coordinate with them to drop off the bags at the airport when we arrive from Zanzibar. This would cost $80, and would also require leaving the secure area of the airport to pick up the bags from the driver. Given this conflicting info, I'm a little confused. If anyone with recent experience could advise on left luggage options at NBO, I would greatly appreciate it.
Hi. NBO airport does not really have a left luggage facility. I would leave the bags with the ground operator. When you get back from Zanibar, clear immigration (you won't need a new visa as you have only been within East Africa), and then customs, get them to meet you outside, walk across to the check in desks and check in. There are no security issues at all. Very straight forward.
Old Sep 9, 2008, 7:41 am
Original Poster

Thanks very much - it sounds like retrieving the bags from the ground operator won't be as difficult as I thought, so I think that's what we'll do.
Old Mar 8, 2009, 10:49 pm

Nairobi airport

I'm flying into nairobi next month. my daughter will meet me outside the airport. any suggestions for navigating the jomo kenyatta airport?
Old Mar 9, 2009, 8:30 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat, Marriot Lifetime Gold
The airport is a bit of a dump but very easy to navigate. After you clear immigration signs are clearly marked toward baggage claim and then exit. Your daughter should meet you right outside baggage claim with no issues
Old Mar 16, 2009, 9:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Location: Seat 1A, Juice pretty much everywhere, Mucci des Coins Exotiques
If you don't want to get stuck in a long, long line, walk as fast as you can to immigration. It's a slow process and if you are behind a hundred other people you will be there a long time. If you don't have a visa in advance, make sure you fill out the form on the plane and have a new $50 bill ready. They don't accept old money. Make sure it's a new one with the red ink (or 2 20's and a 10) .
Old Apr 28, 2009, 1:30 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: Tamsin - what else is there to say?
What to do in NBO on long layover?

Family have an 11 hour layover in NBO on return flight. We've already read this thread so they know they don't need a visa for the outbound which has a much more reasonable transit time (which was my recollection from several years back too), but I can think of few things I'd rather do than spend 11 hours in NBO - even in a lounge!

So anyone with any words of wisdom? Do any of the local hotels offer day rooms, or are there any easy tours to do?
Old Apr 29, 2009, 7:22 am

Programs: united, american, alaska
Originally Posted by Jenbel
So anyone with any words of wisdom? Do any of the local hotels offer day rooms, or are there any easy tours to do?
Have a taxi take you to Karen and see Karen Blixen's house and the giraffe center. Since the only other things anyone is likely to bother to see in Nairobi itself are the market and the natural history museum, you'll have had as much of the local tourist scene as most folks.
Old Apr 30, 2009, 1:15 pm

Programs: HH Diamond, IHG Spire, Marriott Titanium, BA Silver, FB Explorer
The giraffe centre is a lot of fun.

Alternatively the Intercontinental used to do day rooms but I'm not sure what they'd charge. We did an overnight there but met another couple who were only had a day room.

I'd try anything rather than 11 hors in a lounge at NBO! Have been in both the Skyteam lounge and the BA lounge about 6 months ago and neither were places to enjoy (more like endure) for 11 hours.
Old Apr 30, 2009, 3:13 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: Tamsin - what else is there to say?
Have found this for day tours - but it strikes me as a bit expensive:

http://www.africanmeccasafaris.com/a...bidaytours.asp
Old May 1, 2009, 6:35 am

Programs: BA blue, LH Senator, KQ (FB) gold
I'll see if I can find a card from the tour company I used. There is a national park right on the outskirts of Nairobi - I saw giraffes, zebras, wildebeest, various gazelles, various birds, and a lioness, in 4 hours - not exactly the safari of the year, but as a stop off on a work trip, I couldn't complain.
Kimberley Brandt likes this.
Old May 29, 2009, 2:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Having seen 2 of the 3 lounges at NBO, I'd be booking a day room. The Serena was eye-wateringly expensive but has a delightful pool area. if you have any local contacts they may be able to help.
Old May 30, 2009, 5:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Location: Seat 1A, Juice pretty much everywhere, Mucci des Coins Exotiques
I would call the concierge at the IC. They arranged for a day trip to Lake Nakuru for me once that wasn't too expensive. The roads have improved in recent years so its pretty easy to get to and an unforgettable experience.

I'm flying to NBO tonight so ping me if you need any local advice.
Old May 31, 2009, 11:15 am

Programs: AA EXP
Go eat at one of the best - correction - absolute best Indian restaurant for kebabs! haandi -

Mezz Floor, The Mall, P. O. Box 45398
Lower Kabete Road, Spring Valley, Nairobi, 45398-001000, Kenya
+254 20 4448294

http://www.tripadvisor.ie/Restaurant...i-Nairobi.html
Old Aug 5, 2009, 8:56 am

Programs: UA Million Miler (Gold), Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold
NBO lounges

I'll be flying Swiss to NBO in November and probably will have to spend 2-3 hours in the airport before leaving on a 12:20 a.m. flight. I know Swiss doesn't have a lounge there. What airlines do have lounges?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.