Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Africa > Africa
Reload this Page >

NBO / Nairobi Airport - Connections, Facilities, Layovers, etc.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

NBO / Nairobi Airport - Connections, Facilities, Layovers, etc.

Search this Thread

Old Mar 2, 2016, 6:18 pm

Programs: DL Diamond/1MM, Hilton Diamond, Hertz President's Circle
NBO Connection/Separate Reservations

Hi all,

We will be traveling through NBO next month on our way home from Zambia. We saved money by booking separate reservations from LUN-NBO and then NBO-AMS-SEA. Due to a schedule change, we will now only have 2 hours from arrival in NBO (on KQ) until our flight to AMS (on KLM). Since it's a separate reservation (even though both on SkyTeam airlines, of which I am Elite Plus), I am assuming we'll have to clear customs with a transit visa, collect our bags, check-in, and re-clear security/customs. Is this enough time (only really worried about a delay)? Are both airlines in the same terminal? Thanks!
Old Mar 2, 2016, 7:35 pm

Programs: QR Platinum, TK Elite
Originally Posted by dmarge18
Hi all,

We will be traveling through NBO next month on our way home from Zambia. We saved money by booking separate reservations from LUN-NBO and then NBO-AMS-SEA. Due to a schedule change, we will now only have 2 hours from arrival in NBO (on KQ) until our flight to AMS (on KLM). Since it's a separate reservation (even though both on SkyTeam airlines, of which I am Elite Plus), I am assuming we'll have to clear customs with a transit visa, collect our bags, check-in, and re-clear security/customs. Is this enough time (only really worried about a delay)? Are both airlines in the same terminal? Thanks!
At LUN, ask to have your luggage checked all the way through. They will also be able to issue all your boarding passes. On arrival at NBO, take the transit bus. No need for immigration, customs, etc.
Old Mar 2, 2016, 8:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Location: Seat 1A, Juice pretty much everywhere, Mucci des Coins Exotiques
Yes, KQ staff all over Africa are quite used to checking bags through to the KL flight. They do it every day.
Old Mar 2, 2016, 8:46 pm

That's great news, thanks roadwarrior and stimpy. I was hoping that may be the case but was really not sure and had gotten mixed signals during the booking process (booked through Delta).
Old Mar 9, 2016, 9:38 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold
Looks like we're headed to the Seychelles via NBO in a few months, connecting BA->KQ. On the way out we have to overnight in Nairobi but just a short one - arrive at 9 PM and out again in the morning at 11 am. Thinking of the Intercon just because of IHG status and points, but...
on the way back it looks like we'll have five hours or so between flights, so plenty of time (I hope)! Will report on our experience but any tips much appreciated!
Old Mar 9, 2016, 10:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Location: Seat 1A, Juice pretty much everywhere, Mucci des Coins Exotiques
Originally Posted by Expatbear
Looks like we're headed to the Seychelles via NBO in a few months, connecting BA->KQ. On the way out we have to overnight in Nairobi but just a short one - arrive at 9 PM and out again in the morning at 11 am. Thinking of the Intercon just because of IHG status and points, but...
on the way back it looks like we'll have five hours or so between flights, so plenty of time (I hope)! Will report on our experience but any tips much appreciated!
Sounds like a good plan. But I'll say that 5 hours is the worst. It's just a bit too short to comfortably go into town and too long to hang around the airport even with lounge access. 6 hours and I would definitely go into town.
Old Mar 15, 2016, 9:03 am
Ambassador: World of Hyatt

Location: UK - the nearest airport is named after a motorway !
Originally Posted by stimpy
Sounds like a good plan. But I'll say that 5 hours is the worst. It's just a bit too short to comfortably go into town and too long to hang around the airport even with lounge access. 6 hours and I would definitely go into town.
Agreed with stimpy... on a SEZ-LHR transit you'd need to clear immigration inbound as well, which would take 30-45 minutes, and you'll need to be back at the airport by 90-120 minutes before departure. You could get to the Ole Sereni for a snack and a beer, but for barely an hour. Sadly, the only 'lounge' you'll have access to will be the BA gate area, which is underwhelming and I doubt will be open more than a couple of hours before departure.
Old Mar 15, 2016, 1:18 pm

Programs: 1K 2010, 1P in 2011, Plat for 2012,13,14,15 & 2016. Gold in 17 & 18, Plat since
Originally Posted by Expatbear
The passport queue at NBO was among the worst I've experienced; it took 45 minutes but looked like it backed up substantially longer than that as we moved through. That was for a regional flight to JRO a year and a half ago; I have no idea if that was normal or abnormal for NBO in general. But it wouldn't give me a good feeling about heading into town with a 5 hour layover!

Sometimes you just gotta grin & bear it. 5 hours is too long, but at the same time, it's long enough that you can likely find a quiet spot somewhere, and get work done or read. At least you are in control of how you use your time; it's not like 5 hours with guests you'd rather not be around.

Really unfortunate that there appear to be no showers at NBO... that would really help!
Old Apr 10, 2016, 7:07 am
Ambassador: World of Hyatt

Location: UK - the nearest airport is named after a motorway !
able to get from KQ/Simba lounge to BA dep gate?

Like the title says. If I go through emigration to get to the KQ lounge, is it then possible for me to stay airside and get to the BA gate for the LHR flight?

Answering my own question: yes, it was straightforward, both 'terminals' are connected airside, although there is a security check going from BA-side to KQ-side.

Last edited by Stewie Mac; Apr 26, 2016 at 3:02 am
Old May 30, 2016, 7:05 pm

Programs: UA Gold
Originally Posted by Mike Jacoubowsky
Really unfortunate that there appear to be no showers at NBO... that would really help!
That's what I came here looking for an answer for. My fiance and I are connecting in NBO on our way back from SEZ before heading to JRO and have a seven hour overnight. I read a report somewhere else that there were showers and beds by gate 17, but I haven't found anything to back that up, Does anyone have an answer for this?
Old May 30, 2016, 7:13 pm

There are very nice and clean showers in the KQ lounges. If you're SkyTeam Elite Plus you should get in for free, but I'm sure it'd be worth the cost of a day pass or what-not if they are still open that late. I don't think there are any great places to sleep in the airport, though. Make sure to hang out in the new, reconstructed wing. Significantly nicer (and better A/C).
Old May 31, 2016, 9:48 am

Programs: UA Gold
Originally Posted by dmarge18
There are very nice and clean showers in the KQ lounges. If you're SkyTeam Elite Plus you should get in for free, but I'm sure it'd be worth the cost of a day pass or what-not if they are still open that late. I don't think there are any great places to sleep in the airport, though. Make sure to hang out in the new, reconstructed wing. Significantly nicer (and better A/C).
Thanks for the information! I'm a nobody with SkyTeam but I think for a shower on a day with multiple flights, any cost will do.
Old May 31, 2016, 6:40 pm

Showers are well worth the cost when you're dealing with consecutive days of long-haul flights! Made a world of difference for us a couple months ago with consecutive red eyes from SEA-AMS and AMS-NBO. Good luck hope it works out.
Old Jun 21, 2016, 4:40 pm

Programs: UA Gold, Hyatt Globalist
I'm traveling with my family to NBO this July. We are flying TK from IST which lands at 2:25a. We have an 8:00a flight out of Wilson, and our current plan is to stay at JKIA until around 6:00a, then have a driver pick us up and transfer us to Wilson. It will be a brutal travel day since we are originating in SFO, but we don't have any other options. I'm wondering what our best bet would be in the middle of the night at JKIA. Should we try to stay airside and use a lounge - not clearing immigration immediately? I'm not sure that is even an possible. Or, is there something to do in the airport landside during those hours? Alternatively, we could get to Wilson earlier and wait there until our 8:00a departure, but I imagine that airport would have fewer services available to us. Thanks for your help!
Old Jun 22, 2016, 9:17 am

Programs: TK Elite ...and blue, lots of blue...
This indeed sounds brutal. Budget permitting, you could contact some hotels near Wilson and see if they want to sell you a room for a few hours.
Anyway, check with your driver what would be a good time to move to Wilson, as traffic can be very bad. If you have a safari organised, check with the organizer what they can do for you..

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.