Search

Where to get Egyptian Pounds?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 11, 2008, 3:40 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA Gold, Cattle Class
Where to get Egyptian Pounds?

All,

I checked wellsfargo and citibank websites and they don't seem to carry Egyptian pounds for exchange, is this true? If so, where can I get it before my trip in Sept?

Thx!
Old Aug 11, 2008, 3:43 pm

Looks like American Express can help you.

http://www10.americanexpress.com/sif...1,22383,00.asp
Old Aug 11, 2008, 3:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: former Olympic Airways Gold (yeah - still proud of that!)
Originally Posted by ConsultantA
All,

I checked wellsfargo and citibank websites and they don't seem to carry Egyptian pounds for exchange, is this true? If so, where can I get it before my trip in Sept?

Thx!
Hi ConsultantA

Do you need pounds immediately on arrival before baggage claim?

There are ATMs and money changers at the airport.

I have been to Cairo several times and this has always been the easiest way to get money.

Your visa on arrival can be bought using USD.

Otherwise it would not surprise me that banks in general would not carry egyptian pounds.

Regards

lme ff
Old Aug 11, 2008, 5:48 pm

I second the suggestion that you can get Egyptian Pounds at an ATM after arrival at the airport. This is the best way.
Old Aug 11, 2008, 10:59 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA Gold, Cattle Class
Originally Posted by LHR/MEL/Europe FF
Hi ConsultantA

Do you need pounds immediately on arrival before baggage claim?

There are ATMs and money changers at the airport.

I have been to Cairo several times and this has always been the easiest way to get money.

Your visa on arrival can be bought using USD.

Otherwise it would not surprise me that banks in general would not carry egyptian pounds.

Regards

lme ff

thx all for the reply. how's the exchange rates at the money changers at cairo airport? and do they charge "transaction fees"?

the current rate is 1 USD = 5.29 EGP, i checked the amex link mentioned above, it's about 1 USD = 4.63 EGP. do you think the rate of the money
changers at cairo airport would be better?
thx
Old Aug 11, 2008, 11:24 pm

Programs: AA Plat, UA 1K, Ex-DL Plat, SPG Plat, IC Plat, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by ConsultantA
thx all for the reply. how's the exchange rates at the money changers at cairo airport? and do they charge "transaction fees"?

the current rate is 1 USD = 5.29 EGP, i checked the amex link mentioned above, it's about 1 USD = 4.63 EGP. do you think the rate of the money
changers at cairo airport would be better?
thx
Avoid the money changers and use you ATM card. Money changers always give you a worse exchange rate and charge a fee for their services. You loose every time you use a money changer.
Old Aug 11, 2008, 11:59 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat, HH Diamond
I ordered mine on www.bankofamerica.com and picked them up 24 hours later at a local branch. I don't think you have to be an account holder to use the service.
Old Aug 16, 2008, 7:49 pm

Programs: OW/AA, DL, UA; Marriott Titanium
If it's just for an entry visa, it's $15 USD (at least it was a couple of weeks ago when I was there) & you can pay in USD.
Old Aug 23, 2008, 3:59 am

Programs: Aeroplan, AAdvantage, Flying Blue, TrueBlue
If you do not need egyptian pounds right away, just get them from an ATM aither at the airport or in town. The on arrival visa can be purchased in any currency you want. You go to any of the exchange places located before immigration, hand them any kind of currency and they'll give you change in egyptian pounds. So, if you want you can pay with a 100 euro/dollar bill and get some egytpian pounds out of that!
Old Aug 23, 2008, 6:08 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
I second / third the recommendations - use the ATM machines. Any initial tips can be USD, and will be accepted - as will the visa fee.

The money changers who do not require a transaction fee will kite the rate on you - "commission free" is much like "duty free" -it does not mean "profit free." Say "shukran, la!" (thank you, no!) and go to the ATM, not the money changers.
Old Aug 23, 2008, 8:21 pm

Programs: AA, UA, DL,
Hello OP,

Wells Fargo should carry them. You will need to call the number on the website to order the currency. WF calls it "boutique" or some name like that. I've ordered currency from WF when's not listed. You can also return it to them, too, upon your return. Just give your $$ to a teller.

I hope you have a great time in Egypt. My plan is to go there November 2009.

David

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.