Wiki Posts
Search

Victoria Falls in second half of November

Search this Thread

Old Jul 11, 2017, 10:49 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Nothing anymore after 20 years
Victoria Falls in second half of November

Does going to Victoria Falls in second half of November makes sense, or we will be disappointed to see Victoria Walls instead?

If money/return wise does not make too much sense, what are alternatives? Namibia/Namib desert qualifies? How about other places in South Africa except Cape Town/Garden Route and Kruger/Panorama Route?
Old Nov 14, 2017, 1:27 am

Programs: 1K 2010, 1P in 2011, Plat for 2012,13,14,15 & 2016. Gold in 17 & 18, Plat since
Originally Posted by invisible
Does going to Victoria Falls in second half of November makes sense, or we will be disappointed to see Victoria Walls instead?

If money/return wise does not make too much sense, what are alternatives? Namibia/Namib desert qualifies? How about other places in South Africa except Cape Town/Garden Route and Kruger/Panorama Route?
A little late to the party, but it was very impressive when my wife and I went end of October/beginning of November. There could be a huge difference between beginning of November and the end though; can't speak to that.

You can see a few photos here- http://www.chainreactionblogs.com/di...-falls-part-1/
Old Nov 16, 2017, 9:46 am

Programs: Flying Blue, Miles and Smiles, Hhonors, ICHotels
Have you decided to go or not? Since there is a little political issue right now. The first lady has escaped to Namibia, Mugabe is still in the ivory tower, under house arrest - the Military seems to have taken over. I had an email discussion with a business associate of mine who is there right now, and he described the situation as "fun and games". Meaning, he was trying to change his flight to get out ASAP and it was a shambles - and the irony is that he was a resident. So, if you are not there yet, and you want to see the falls, go to Livingston.
Old Nov 16, 2017, 6:27 pm
Suspended

Programs: Many
Anyone been recently? I went back in '13 and I have some friends who are planning to go in late Dec. Their hope is the instability will shake itself out by then. They haven't had their yellow fever jabs, so the Zambia side is out.
Old Nov 17, 2017, 10:08 am

Programs: BAEC Silver
Originally Posted by GetSetJetSet
Anyone been recently? I went back in '13 and I have some friends who are planning to go in late Dec. Their hope is the instability will shake itself out by then. They haven't had their yellow fever jabs, so the Zambia side is out.
As far as I know there is no longer an issue with Yellow Fever in Zambia - the requirement was lifted a couple of years ago now. The only problem with the Zambian side in late November is that you will be looking at a dry rock face! Although you will be able to go sit in the Devil's Pool which is kinda fun!
Old Nov 17, 2017, 4:47 pm

Programs: AA, UA, GE
Originally Posted by wijibintheair
As far as I know there is no longer an issue with Yellow Fever in Zambia - the requirement was lifted a couple of years ago now. The only problem with the Zambian side in late November is that you will be looking at a dry rock face! Although you will be able to go sit in the Devil's Pool which is kinda fun!
It looks like Zambia, Tanzania, Eritrea, Somalia, Sao Tome, Principe and Rwanda no longer require the vaccine for entry to South Africa.

https://www.santhnet.co.za/index.php...th-africa.html

However the WHO and the CDC still list Zambia as an at risk country for Yellow Fever and recommend a vaccination. It could be the documentation available online is old and will be changed soon but as of a couple of minutes ago Zambia was still listed as a country where the vaccination is recommended.
Old Nov 18, 2017, 11:08 am

Originally Posted by cheltzel
It looks like Zambia, Tanzania, Eritrea, Somalia, Sao Tome, Principe and Rwanda no longer require the vaccine for entry to South Africa.

https://www.santhnet.co.za/index.php...th-africa.html

However the WHO and the CDC still list Zambia as an at risk country for Yellow Fever and recommend a vaccination. It could be the documentation available online is old and will be changed soon but as of a couple of minutes ago Zambia was still listed as a country where the vaccination is recommended.
That is strange - because we must be looking at different list. If I look at the World Health Organisation 2017 country lists (16th Febraury 2017) - for Zambia it says the following:
WHO vaccination recommendation: in general, no
Old Nov 18, 2017, 1:27 pm

Programs: AA, UA, GE
Originally Posted by wijibintheair
That is strange - because we must be looking at different list. If I look at the World Health Organisation 2017 country lists (16th Febraury 2017) - for Zambia it says the following:
WHO vaccination recommendation: in general, no
I just did a internet search and it sent me to a WHO page (actually a PDF download) that had Zambia till recommended for Yellow Fever vaccinations. It was older than 2017 (2015 ??) and I assumed it hadn't been updated. Which is why I said "It could be the documentation available online is old and will be changed soon".
Old Nov 22, 2017, 2:57 am

Originally Posted by cheltzel
I just did a internet search and it sent me to a WHO page (actually a PDF download) that had Zambia till recommended for Yellow Fever vaccinations. It was older than 2017 (2015 ??) and I assumed it hadn't been updated. Which is why I said "It could be the documentation available online is old and will be changed soon".
That would make sense - there was a short period where a few (I stress a few - as most countries did not require it - including most of the European countries) countries required travellers from Zambia to have a yellow fever vaccination. The biggest culprit was South Africa. As much of the tourism to Zambia goes via South Africa this had a huge negative effect on travel to Zambia. So for example a client from the UK wanting to go to Zambia who flew Emirates LHR-DXB-LUN and back did not need a yellow fever certificate. However flying LHR-JNB-LUN did need the yellow fever for South Africa. Fortunately a couple of years ago now South Africa rescinded the requirement.
Old Nov 27, 2017, 3:01 pm

Programs: Delta Diamond Medallion, Million Miler, AMEX Platinum Card
Hi There,

I have been to Victoria Falls many times over the course of my life. I have been there every month of the year except for July, October and December. I was at Victoria Falls two weeks ago.

Two weeks ago, the Zambia side of the Falls was a granite cliff. There was no water flowing on the Zambia side but the Devil's Pool was open. There was water flowing in the Main and Devil's Cataract on the Zimbabwe side. These two cataracts have never gone dry in modern history.

The rains have begun already in the catchment area. So, for 2017, the low water mark has passed.

Yellow fever vaccination is not required for Zimbabwe or Zambia. It is business as usual in Zimbabwe for the safari industry so no need to avoid it.

Craig Beal - owner - Travel Beyond
Mike Jacoubowsky likes this.
Old Dec 25, 2017, 12:21 pm

Programs: Skymiles, AMEX, Bonvoy, IHG Plat, Alaska MVP 100K
I was in Cape Town and Victoria Fall end of October. I stayed on the Zambia side and did not need yellow fever vaccination (plus there is a shortage so hard to get right now). Dry season when I was there, but still beautiful. I walked the bridge to Zimbabwe, friend had to leave her passport with the border control booth to get a day pass. Lots of haggling by local street vendors asking to trade hair ties, shoes etc when you tell them you have no money. Not much in terms of infrastructure on either side so they will trade nearly anything (someone wanted my Nalgene water bottle) but then they ask for money to eat and so forth.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.