Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Africa > Africa
Reload this Page >

What destination to add to trip to SA?

What destination to add to trip to SA?

Old Jul 5, 2017, 11:06 pm

Programs: AA Gold Elite
Was in SA and Mauritius last June/July.
Mauritius was pretty but not really warm enough to enjoy the ocean so your kids may not like that.
Cape Town will likely be fairly cool,windy and rainy as it is much further south then most of the safari places you are looking at. That is their winter since it's the southern hemisphere.
Morning game drives on safari will be VERY cold usually. Think several layers to peel off as the sun rises, definitely a warm hat,gloves and a scarf for the morning drives.
Hope this helps in your decision.
Old Jul 6, 2017, 2:08 am

Programs: Flying Blue, Miles and Smiles, Hhonors, ICHotels
Originally Posted by pinkhighlighter
I hadn't considered Namibia. Is it malaria-free?
Yes it is.
Old Jul 6, 2017, 8:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Ok any thoughts on lodges in Madikwe?
The best lodge in Madikwe by far is Mosetlha Bush Camp, for two reasons:

- It is almost right in the middle of Madikwe, which puts the entire reserve within comfortable game drive distance. Madikwe is very large, the other lodges are more or less restricted to their side or corner of the reserve.

- Best and most experienced guides.

However, Mosethla is not a family destination, nor is it the place for those who value creature comfort or expect luxury. It is a bush camp.

Johan
Old Jul 6, 2017, 8:27 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by roadwarrier
Yes it is.
alright, I'm going to investigate this... perhaps ix-nay cape town. Based on the previous comment of how the weather is.
Old Jul 6, 2017, 8:28 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by johan rebel
The best lodge in Madikwe by far is Mosetlha Bush Camp, for two reasons:

- It is almost right in the middle of Madikwe, which puts the entire reserve within comfortable game drive distance. Madikwe is very large, the other lodges are more or less restricted to their side or corner of the reserve.

- Best and most experienced guides.

However, Mosethla is not a family destination, nor is it the place for those who value creature comfort or expect luxury. It is a bush camp.

Johan
ok, any thoughts on family friendly places? And comfort.
Old Jul 6, 2017, 8:38 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by sweetsleep
Was in SA and Mauritius last June/July.
Mauritius was pretty but not really warm enough to enjoy the ocean so your kids may not like that.
Cape Town will likely be fairly cool,windy and rainy as it is much further south then most of the safari places you are looking at. That is their winter since it's the southern hemisphere.
Morning game drives on safari will be VERY cold usually. Think several layers to peel off as the sun rises, definitely a warm hat,gloves and a scarf for the morning drives.
Hope this helps in your decision.
thank you. Mauritius and beach locations are out. We think we'll do a trip dedicated to diving in 5-10 years when our kids can dive, too.
Old Jul 6, 2017, 10:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I hadn't considered Namibia. Is it malaria-free?
Originally Posted by roadwarrier
Yes it is.
Except for the Caprivi Strip.

Johan
Old Jul 6, 2017, 4:58 pm

Programs: Hilton Honors, Marriott Rewards, American Airlines, Delta Skymiles, Jet Blue, SAA
Hi pinklighter!

Love Jaci's. I was there when my boys were younger. Lovely operation! Also love Tuningi. Another excellent and very suitable option.

Best
Dianne
Africa Direct USA
Old Jul 6, 2017, 9:08 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Dianne_AfricaDirectUSA
Hi pinklighter!

Love Jaci's. I was there when my boys were younger. Lovely operation! Also love Tuningi. Another excellent and very suitable option.

Best
Dianne
Africa Direct USA
Can you help me compare Jaci's vs Tunigi? Our sons will be 5/6 and 3 next summer. Plus we will also have my 76 year old father.
Old Jul 7, 2017, 5:40 am

Programs: Hilton Honors, Marriott Rewards, American Airlines, Delta Skymiles, Jet Blue, SAA
Tuningi is located in an excellent part of the reserve and management really goes above and beyond to welcome families with children as well as manage the needs of a multi gen group but either lodge will serve you well.

I think combining Madikwe with Cape Town is a fantastic idea! So many awesome things to do in that city. I have crafted many itineraries for families and have lots of great ideas to showcase the city and the surrounding area. There's something for everyone and if you are into nature and the outdoors, it is bountiful! Please let me know if can assist further.

Best
Dianne
Africa Direct USA

Last edited by Dianne_AfricaDirectUSA; Jul 7, 2017 at 6:54 pm
Old Jul 7, 2017, 11:34 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Dianne_AfricaDirectUSA
Tuningi is located in an excellent part of the reserve and management really goes above and beyond to welcome families with children as well as manage the needs of a multi gen group but either lodge will serve you well.

I think combining Madikwe with Cape Town is a fantastic idea! So many awesome things to do in that city. I have crafted many itineraries for families and have lots of great ideas to showcase the city and the surrounding area. There's something for everyone and if you are into nature and the outdoors, it is bountiful! Please let me know if can assist further.

Best
Dianne
Africa Direct USA
Can you provide any guidance for deciding between Jaci's and Tunigi? Thanks!
Old Jul 8, 2017, 8:35 am

Programs: Flying Blue, Miles and Smiles, Hhonors, ICHotels
Originally Posted by johan rebel
Except for the Caprivi Strip.

Johan
That is true - I did not think that OP would venture that far given the group size and time.
Old Aug 25, 2017, 4:07 am

Programs: AA, DAL, blah, blah, blah...The usual.
Do consider Swaziland for a day or two.
If the Reed Festival is going on (end of August), the entire country is buzzing.
A day driving through Swazi, overnight at a B&B/game reserve, then finish in Drakensberg. A helicopter tour of Drakenspeek is money well spent.
Old Sep 4, 2017, 8:55 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by airmotive
Do consider Swaziland for a day or two.
If the Reed Festival is going on (end of August), the entire country is buzzing.
A day driving through Swazi, overnight at a B&B/game reserve, then finish in Drakensberg. A helicopter tour of Drakenspeek is money well spent.
Thanks for the rec. Is Swaziland non-malarial?
Old Oct 24, 2017, 2:38 pm
Original Poster

Hi all,

I'm back. Our current thinking is:
- 5-7 days in Capetown
- 4 days at Jaci's or Morukuru
- 3 days at Ant's Hill or Ant's Nest

Home.... If we were to add another week to visit Swaziland (airmotive's itinerary of overnight at a B&B or game reserve, finish in Drakensberg wiht a helicopter tour of Drakenspeek) and/or Namibia, how would you integrate them into the above itinerary?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.