Search

Masai Mara/ DRC Feb 2018

Search this Thread

Old Jun 26, 2017, 8:55 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AC SE
Masai Mara/ DRC Feb 2018

Hello,

Looking for some advice/ tips and perhaps some travel agent options.It should also be mentioned we have been to Rwanda before and Kenya.

Current Itinerary is as follows;
Arrive NBO at 2200 on Feb 3, wait for connecting flight on KQ478 to KGL at 0025 Feb 4. (is there a lounge that is open for our layover? that is recommended, I have *G and Amex plat, priority pass)

Arrive in KGL and either get a hotel for cheap or catch a cab to Congo border with aim of crossing at 0800 Feb 4. Reason for crossing at 0800 is to catch a ride from Virunga park to begin Nyiragongo Volcano trek for 1 night.

Come down from Nyiragongo Feb 5 and spend the afternoon in Gome relaxing (open to staying somewhere else).

Feb 6 wake up early to do Gorilla Trek in Virunga Park. Plan to is catch KQ444 @ 1940 from KGL to NBO, so will need to cross back into Rwanda after gorilla trek and make it to KGL. I have read it is 3 hrs from the border crossing to KGL. Has anyone done this? If I miss it I will wait for the KQ478 at 0140 on Feb 7.

Any tips on getting around Rwanda and Congo and for saving money on the flights from NBO-KGL? I have some Flying Blue miles to use.

Then once back in Kenya plan is to get a driver for the 4 of us to drive from NBO to Safari camp. A previous driver for the 5 hr drive was USD250 one way from NBO to Masai Mara camps. We have previously stayed at the Fairmont Mara safari camp, which has gone up in price to USD550 plus USD83 per person per night for park permits. We don't need anything fancy as we are just looking for a decent tent, two drives a day and reasonable food (either full board or reasonably priced). We would do this from Feb 7-11 and then fly from the camp to Nairobi to catch our flights out of NBO at 2310. Once again lounge recommendations are appreciated (travelling LH).

So hopefully people have done Virunga Gorilla Trek/ Nyirgagongo Trek and can provide advice on the process of booking etc..., as well as
- getting out of the Congo ideally same day as Gorilla trek
- places to stay either in Gome or somewhere nearby for the Gorilla Trek
- transportation recommendation from KGL to Grand Barriere Border Crossing in Gisenyi and back to KGL
- tips for saving money on the flight from NBO-KGL-NBO
- transportation recommendations from Nairobi to Masai Mara area by vehicle and cost
- alternatives to Fairmont Mara Safari club.

Thank you in advance.
Old Jun 27, 2017, 7:14 am

Programs: AA PLT, HH Gold, FM Prem, SPG gold
I did both the mara and DRC/KGL on two recent trips, and LOVED them both, but I think you are forgetting something critical here. This is Africa.

To think you can drive from KGL cross the border to DRC at Goma and drive to the park and begin a climb is a bit zealous.

The roads leading from KGL to DRC are well paved, but very hilly and curved with strict speedlimits. I think at best you can do 60km/hr. It will take longer than you think.

Not that doing the volcano is wrong, but it is NOT an easy hike. I have done Machu Picchu, Everest Base Camp and Kilimanjaro, and found the volcano to be the most difficult. Easily done if you take your time (as the guides require) but it isnt a walk in the (Virunga) park... We chose to do the gorillas first so we would be fresh for the volcano. The day we came down from the volcano we were driven to the border and slept our way back to KGL and then napped back at the hotel.

I really suggest you add a day. The park offers drivers for a high price, but also suggests drivers for much cheaper. I think we paid ~800usd for KGL>DRC, Goma>Gorilla (2-3 hr), Gorilla>Goma (2-3 hr), Goma>Volcano (1 hr), Volcano>Goma>KGL. The roads beyond the 2-3 paved stretches in Goma are AWFUL! I had a hard time even typing on my phone it was so bumpy.

I would suggest you pre book a driver from kgl that leaves when you land and you will get to goma around mid day. Relax, take in the lake, the city (it is very interesting to see) and get a good night's sleep. Then the next am do gorilla. We got back around 3pm I think, but the other trekking group couldnt find their gorillas and took another two hours so it can be a long day, plus the drive back. Rest up (youll want it) and then do volcano, the next am begin the long drive back to KGL and take an evening flight if you are in a rush, or overnight in kgl for one night.

There is a once weekly Goma>ADD flight if that is of any use. I can't speak for the logistics of the visa since it is likely park issued and not via Kinshasa. We stayed at the ihusi which is less than 50m from the border. outdated hotel, but in the city you have no better options. The staff and amenities were great. overlooks the lake.

For the safari, I overnighted in NBO (norfolk) before flying out of Wilson airport to the FM safari airstrip. I know there are Plenty of camps in the area, but I can only speak for the FM. The quality matches the price. I know it is possible to drive to the camps, but I think it take a full day each way. I'm not sure that is worth it, although the flights are not cheap.

Above all, don't forget this is Africa, not Orlando. No matter what you decide, you will have the time of your life. Check out my trip reports for a detailed review.
Old Jun 27, 2017, 2:27 pm

Programs: Presto
alternatives to Fairmont Mara Safari club.

I've used Freeman Safaris (http://freemansafaris.com) in the past and will be doing another safari with them later this summer. Thumbs up from me for value, transfers, location (in the park), vehicles, guides, food and accommodation. TripAdvisor has lots of reviews. They also do a Rwanda gorilla extension, but I haven't done it. Perhaps contact them and see if they'll put something together for you, they are quite flexible.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.