Wiki Posts
Search

Interlining baggage between SA airlink and ethiopian airlines

Search this Thread

Old Mar 22, 2017, 4:26 pm
Original Poster

Interlining baggage between SA airlink and ethiopian airlines

Hey all,

Question about an interlining possibility on separate tickets (perhaps this should be in a star alliance forum, but figure it would be more appropriate here). I will be in Africa this summer on holiday, will flights book through star alliance points. At the end of our safari we will depart SA to head to KGL via a connection in ADD. Our flight departs from JNB. However, I just booked the safari with an agent that involves a flight back to JNB from NLP (nelspruit) on south african airlink. Is there anyway that I can check my bags from NLP through KGL, even if they are on separate airlines and tickets? It would be perfect if we could, because we will have 7 hours to kill in JNB prior to the next flight and it would be super if we could leave the airport for dinner.

If we cannot interline, does anyone know how far in advance I can check the luggage in at JNB for the Ethiopian airlines flight? I know there is an airport luggage place at JNB, but was reading on other forums about thefts so really just don't want to deal with it there especially if I have other options.

While I am here, any suggestions on leaving the airport for dinner on a Wednesday? Flight lands at about 4:40pm. Our next flight will end up leaving near midnight. What time should I arrive back at the airport by?
Old Mar 22, 2017, 10:00 pm

Check-in for the late night ET departure will only open around 2100 hrs.
Old Mar 24, 2017, 7:02 am
Original Poster

Any thoughts on the interlining possibility between south african airlink? Or should I ask in the star alliance forum?
Old Mar 24, 2017, 7:14 am

Programs: British Airways Gold
Firstly Airlink is not part of SAA or Star Alliance

Airlink also seems to have limited interline capabilities so particularly with two tickets I would plan on the basis that they can't and then be pleasantly surprised if they can
Old Mar 24, 2017, 8:57 am
Original Poster

Ok thanks. I guess I'll ask about it at checkin but plan on storing our bags in JNB while we head to dinner before the next flight.
Old Mar 25, 2017, 12:17 am

Programs: OZ Diamond, LH FTL, QR Silver, Hilton Diamond
Cannot say about ethiopian, but with Airlink and Lufthansa on separate tickets, it was never a problem to check the bags through.
Old Jun 29, 2017, 1:08 am
Original Poster

So, I was able to get SA airline to interlink my bags through to my final destination on Ethiopian airlines. It did take quite a while (like 20 minutes) but she was able to do it. The bags went from Geiger on SA airline - JNB - ADD (Ethiopian) - KGL. The SA airline flight and Ethiopian flights were on separate tickets. If they say it can't be done it's not true. She basically created a custom "itinerary" of all the flights. All she really needed were my flight numbers and name.
ORDflyr likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.