Wiki Posts
Search

I can fly, when I pay for 2 seats

Search this Thread

Old Mar 7, 2017, 7:03 pm
Original Poster

I can fly, when I pay for 2 seats

Hi

I wanted to book a flight with Coastal Aviation, but since months I am only a single passenger, who is interested.
Coastal Aviation has made me a suggestion that they make an exception, when I will pay for 2 seats and then they can fly me. Should I make the deal?
I'm afraid they can cancel the flight. Have anyone experienced something similar?
Old Mar 8, 2017, 11:19 am
Moderator: Information Desk, Women Travelers, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold
Originally Posted by anonimous
Hi

I wanted to book a flight with Coastal Aviation, but since months I am only a single passenger, who is interested.
Coastal Aviation has made me a suggestion that they make an exception, when I will pay for 2 seats and then they can fly me. Should I make the deal?
I'm afraid they can cancel the flight. Have anyone experienced something similar?
Welcome to Flyertalk!

I am not familiar with Coastal Aviation, but from a quick skim of their website, they're offering scheduled and charter service in East Africa. I'm guessing from your post that they needs to sell a certain number of seats to make the flight financially feasible, and thus far you are the only person who has expressed interest in a specific route/trip.

If you think about it, it's not much different from a tour operator that charges a single supplement if you want to stay in your own hotel room vs sharing with a stranger. The airline has certain operating costs -- the pilot's time, airport fees, etc. -- that remain fixed regardless of whether there's one passenger or a plane full of passengers. And your single airfare might not cover those costs.

Are you concerned they will cancel the flight after you've paid, so you won't get any service at all, or that they'll fly you to your destination, then cancel the return flight? I have no experience with Coastal Aviation, so I can't comment on their reliability, so instead I'd talk to them about what guarantees and protections they'll offer to you in the event a flight is canceled.
anonimous likes this.
Old Mar 9, 2017, 1:24 pm

Programs: Delta Gold, SPG Gold, HHonors Gold, UA Gold (status match)
We have flown with coastal. We took at least four flights with them last May. They're reliable. My guess is as the poster said above,they need a minimum number of passengers on the route. I seem to remember they had a guarantee on their website (for what it is worth) for getting you to the destination. The language is something like we will make sure each connection is honored.
anonimous likes this.
Old Mar 16, 2017, 6:55 am

Programs: QR Platinum, TK Elite
Coastal, like most safari airlines have a minimum passenger policy of 2. If you were to pay for 2 pax, and on the date of your flight there is at least one more passenger, would they refund you the fare for the 2nd passenger you paid for?
anonimous likes this.
Old Mar 20, 2017, 9:48 am

Programs: AA MM, AA EXP; OW Emerald, EK silver
I usually pay for an extra seat to acomodate overweight luggage as I travel with a lot of camera equipment. Even without that I wouldn't hesitate to pay a supplement to get to where I want; if you look at the big picture it's usually ends up a very small part of your total expense. I've had several flights as the only passenger in East Africa and have never had a flight cancelled.
anonimous likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.