Couple of thoughts/observations after safari in South Africa

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Couple of thoughts/observations after safari in South Africa

Search this Thread

Old Apr 14, 2017, 5:30 am

Originally Posted by johan rebel
As long as you do it in daylight, you will have nothing to worry about. It is an easy drive to Malelane on a good toll road, with sufficient rest stops en route. The food is OK, the toilets are clean, and Alzu even has rhinos and other game. The route is so straightforward that getting lost would be a world-class achievement.

Johan
Well, returned last week. A wonderful trip. Yes, I am familiar with Alzu, having stopped there last year too. I think on reflection, I probably will take a hire car next time, from JNB to either Swaziland or direct to KNP. I rent a car in Swaziland, which I did again this time, and drove up, through Piggs Peak, to Malelane, and then into the park. That, by the way, is a great drive, very scenic indeed.

A self drive, it was great, but did present a challenge occaisionally, with looking for wildlife, taking photos, driving, and make sure the car was secure (windows closed, etc), when near the animals.
Old Apr 14, 2017, 7:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by HGOLI
make sure the car was secure (windows closed, etc), when near the animals.
I have a simply policy: all windows open at all times. In rainy or very windy weather I may (partially) close one or two, but it takes a torrential downpour to get me to close them all. I like to not only see, but also hear and smell what's going on around me. The windscreen is already annoying enough.

I consider leaving the windows open in the presence of animals pretty much risk-free. But then again, I spend a lot of time in open game viewing vehicles, on occasion on the tracker seat, as well as on foot in the bush.

Johan
Old Apr 14, 2017, 9:59 am

To be honest Johan, it's probably because I was alone, and trying to multi task! I made this comment, primarily referring to the large number of baboons I came across, with one climbing on my car, and refusing to jump off!

I too loved the smell outside, but there is no way I am risking a baboon grabbing my cameras or jumping up through the window. The other 2 times I closed the window, was when a leopard, a lion, and a wild dog were so close to my car door, it was a challenge to photograph them. In fact, I made the comment to my other half, that the smell reminded me of the smell of birds of prey that I was involved with here in the UK, when I had 30 or so of them I had to take care of (reintroduction project).

The early morning walk I did was very good indeed.
Old Sep 15, 2017, 2:57 pm

Programs: AA, SWA, most hotel programs
Originally Posted by HGOLI
To be honest Johan, it's probably because I was alone, and trying to multi task! I made this comment, primarily referring to the large number of baboons I came across, with one climbing on my car, and refusing to jump off!

I too loved the smell outside, but there is no way I am risking a baboon grabbing my cameras or jumping up through the window. The other 2 times I closed the window, was when a leopard, a lion, and a wild dog were so close to my car door, it was a challenge to photograph them. In fact, I made the comment to my other half, that the smell reminded me of the smell of birds of prey that I was involved with here in the UK, when I had 30 or so of them I had to take care of (reintroduction project).

The early morning walk I did was very good indeed.
We are planning both self-guided driving (car hire) and a lodge October 2018 in Kruger. This might be a dumb question but do the animals ever attack/damage the car? I guess if it was a big problem the car rental companies wouldn't allow going into the parks. We often go to Yosemite National Park in California and bears have done damage to cars if food is left in them.
Old Sep 16, 2017, 11:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Bohemiana
This might be a dumb question but do the animals ever attack/damage the car?
It is not a dumb question, and yes, it does happen. Not often enough that you need to worry about it, though.

Elephants occasionally stomp on or roll over a car. It has happened to two friends of mine, but both work there.

Lions and hyaenas sometimes bite and puncture tires or other vehicle appendages such as wing mirrors.

Incidents of this kind are really quite rare. Speeding and other drivers are bigger problems. A surprising number of people have been killed in auto wrecks in Kruger.
Attached Images   
Old Sep 16, 2017, 1:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

random thought - johan rebel, are vehicles without windscreens 'street legal' ?

Originally Posted by johan rebel
- Private lodges on private land, with one and the same owner.
- Private lodges on private land, with different owners.
- Private lodges on public land, i.e. concessions in National Parks.
while those concessions can be large or small

indeed properties (& preferences) vary dramatically
Old Sep 18, 2017, 5:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Kagehitokiri
random thought - johan rebel, are vehicles without windscreens 'street legal'
The roads in Kruger (and all other national parks) are technically public roads, so vehicles, drivers and passengers have to comply with all traffic laws and regulations. South Africa being South Africa, traffic laws are of course widely flaunted everywhere.

Private lodges on private land can drive in whatever vehicle they want, as can the land owners of course. I've seen some very interesting and innovative vehicles.

Private lodges and operators who want to drive in Kruger need to comply with SANParks rules, which can be a real hassle. Vehicles have to be presented at certain (distant) locations at certain times for inspection, and you never quite know what they have suddenly changed or made up.

Apart from a bunch of stickers and other paperwork, open game vehicles driving in Kruger need to comply with the following:

- nobody can sit on the tracker seat (which is the best seat by a very wide margin).

- the front windscreen has to be raised (really annoying if you are in the front).

- the vehicle must have a canopy.

- the vehicle must be equipped with side panels of a certain height on both sides of the passenger seat rows.

- the vehicle must be equipped with seatbelts for all passengers. Seatbelt rules are not enforced in Kruger, except occasionally when they nail somebody for another offense, such as speeding. If the offender is ornery enough, the traffic cops will add fines for anything else they can come up with in response. If you see people driving around Kruger wearing seatbelts they are probably Swedish or Swiss.

Every now and then I meet game viewing vehicles on roads outside Kruger, e.g. in the Hoedspruit area. At speeds over 100 kph the canopy starts acting as an airfoil, which does not exactly improve stability. You see the passengers holding on for dear life while the wind does its best to reduce them to baldness. Can't help laughing outloud every time.

Johan

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.