Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Africa > Africa
Reload this Page >

South Africa (or South East Asia) for Honeymoon

South Africa (or South East Asia) for Honeymoon

Old May 15, 2017, 10:57 pm

Originally Posted by airmotive
The Aquila Game Reserve is rather expensive, but certainly worth a night or two. Unlike "true" wildlife parks like Kruger or in Kenya, Aquila is private. They know exactly where the lions are in their park, so you won't spend days driving through the park hoping to catch a glimpse of one.
There are many less expensive options for safari, but if you're on a time budget, Aquila is a nice option.
Having just been to Aquila in December I must say it was a bit of a disappointing experience, especially for the rates they are charging, I would much prefer Botlierskop, and while it might be further away one is likely to pass by while doing the garden route.

For comparison, Aquila charges R1195 for a game drive, Botlierskop charges R450, and the experience in Botlierskop is better.
Old May 16, 2017, 2:32 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Ditto
South African winter in the CPT area is indeed very far from a British/North-European winter, I would hardly call it a nice t-shirt weather though, while you might be able wear a t-shirt on a sunny day with no wind, the sunset is pretty early and temperatures drop to below 10 degrees at night

I think you need to decide what it is you want to do on your vacation, if you are looking for warm weather/beaches than a combination of Kenya & Zanzibar might be best, perhaps also adding a short visit to Victoria Falls.
If you are not worried about the weather, then by all means I would go for SA, much more options and with prices are often cheaper as well.
My worry about SA would be the early sunset more than the actual temperatures.
What I hate the most about winter is the little amount of light you get in a day...
So maybe Kenya+zanzibar sounds like a better option even tho SA might be cheaper and have more to offer when it comes to things to do and see

Anyone knows any not overly extortionate accommodations in Kenya that does a safari (so I guess it'd be inside a game reserve)?
Old May 16, 2017, 8:16 am

Programs: DL PM MM SC; GE; Bonvoy Titanium; IHG Diamond
Having just been to Aquila in December I must say it was a bit of a disappointing experience, especially for the rates they are charging, I would much prefer Botlierskop, and while it might be further away one is likely to pass by while doing the garden route.

For comparison, Aquila charges R1195 for a game drive, Botlierskop charges R450, and the experience in Botlierskop is better.
Would you mind providing a little more detail about your experience? I'm going to be in Cape Town in late December and trying to decide if it's worth it to spend a day at Aquila or not.

I looked at Botlierskop's website and it doesn't look like they provide transfers from Cape Town, so that's probably not an option for me.
Old May 16, 2017, 9:16 am

Originally Posted by ShopAround
Would you mind providing a little more detail about your experience? I'm going to be in Cape Town in late December and trying to decide if it's worth it to spend a day at Aquila or not.

I looked at Botlierskop's website and it doesn't look like they provide transfers from Cape Town, so that's probably not an option for me.
Well, while the park is quite big, it felt 'empty', you will still get to see 4 of the big 5, and they have 3 Giraffes and lots of antelopes and other small(er) animals.
If that is your only option for a Safari then it is better than nothing, but if you are visiting after few days in Kruger e.g., then I would say definitely skip, the value for money is not good IMHO.

Botlierskop is ~4-5 hours drive from CPT, so not really feasible as a day trip, it works well with a tour of the Garden Route, if you can spare 2-3 days for that.
Old May 16, 2017, 10:00 am

Programs: DL PM MM SC; GE; Bonvoy Titanium; IHG Diamond
Well, while the park is quite big, it felt 'empty', you will still get to see 4 of the big 5, and they have 3 Giraffes and lots of antelopes and other small(er) animals.
If that is your only option for a Safari then it is better than nothing, but if you are visiting after few days in Kruger e.g., then I would say definitely skip, the value for money is not good IMHO.

Botlierskop is ~4-5 hours drive from CPT, so not really feasible as a day trip, it works well with a tour of the Garden Route, if you can spare 2-3 days for that.
Thank you, that's very helpful. Something like a day trip from CPT is really my only option - I don't drive so can't rent a car and am a woman traveling alone, so I am not sure I'd feel comfortable overnighting in a tent camp or lodge or someplace like that on my own.

I have a few months to decide if it's worth the cost to spend a day in Aquila. The reviews online are mixed - some indicate that it's barely more than a zoo and that's not very appealing for a day that will cost me close to $200 USD. As you say, the value doesn't seem very good.
Old May 17, 2017, 5:26 am

Smile

Hi xmrbrightside89, hi everyone,

here comes my little story. Me and my husband traveled to South Africa for our wedding (on the beach) and honeymoon - we've decided to do this in one shot. We went to visit Cape Town for a couple of days and stayed at the Grootbos Reserve for the ceremony.
http://www.grootbos.com/en/getaways/honeymoon

as the honeymoon part we went up to the Kruger (Sabi Sabi). It's not the cheapest, but from a Euro/Dollar point of view - This is ridiculous. Of course it is not cheap, but as animal lovers it was worth it for all cost. For us, this was unforgettable!
The Sabi Sabi Website seems to be changed. I am sure someone in this forum might know.

SE Asia is nice to travel through, but for the honeymoon, I'd consider South Africa as the better choice (by far).

All the best!
Bee3
Old May 19, 2017, 7:18 pm

Programs: AA Gold Elite
The OP as far as I know has not said when the travel date is and that does make a difference in Cape Town for sure. Rough seas in their winter(June,July,August) can make it quite unpleasant to go to Robben Island or do the short tank and Table Mountain may be closed due to rain, wind(very strong!!) and clouds.
Likewise,Mauritius has great prices in the winter but it can be somewhat cool at night and ocean temps are fairly chilly. But is a very pretty island and prices are very good that time of year.
I did a mission trip in Kenya recently-I did not find it safe at all both in Nairobi or in rural areas and many people who did a Mara safari got seriously ill.
South Africa has much better infrastructure-good roads, good health care, safer and in my opinion is much more beautiful than Kenya-but that is just my opinion and experience.
Old May 23, 2017, 4:35 am

Programs: AA, DAL, blah, blah, blah...The usual.
Originally Posted by ShopAround
Thank you, that's very helpful. Something like a day trip from CPT is really my only option - I don't drive so can't rent a car and am a woman traveling alone, so I am not sure I'd feel comfortable overnighting in a tent camp or lodge or someplace like that on my own.

I have a few months to decide if it's worth the cost to spend a day in Aquila. The reviews online are mixed - some indicate that it's barely more than a zoo and that's not very appealing for a day that will cost me close to $200 USD. As you say, the value doesn't seem very good.
While I enjoyed our three says/two nights at aquila, it is rather pricey...Especially for SA, where everything else seemed to be a bargain. There are a lot of people who are regulars there. The proprietor would come out and chat with the guests during dinner and many were clearly 'old friend's.

I would say it is not a place for a day trip. The beauty of the place is sleeping in a posh-rustic cabana, while lions roar at each other outside your window, tea at sunrise while watching hippos take a morning swim, sunset game drives on horseback. There's even one cabana that is inside the game reserve, where you are the captive entertainment for the animals.

A day trip would feel more like a visit to the zoo, which is not at all what this place was meant to offer. It's meant to be more immersive, which requires time and, unfortunately, a substantial financial commitment.
Old May 30, 2017, 2:49 pm
Original Poster

thanks all for the replies, i ended up booking a reward flight F+J to Kenya, so we will do a safari in Kenya for 3 days and chill for a week either in zanzibar or mauritius ^

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.