Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Africa > Africa
Reload this Page >

SA - Private game reserve requests paying via wire transfer

Old Jan 7, 2017, 8:56 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Nothing anymore after 20 years

Here is the situation. We have been invited to our friend's wedding which is held at Karongwe Private Game Reserve.

I got email from the property where wedding/accommodation is going to be held. They requested full payment 45 days before the wedding and with wire transfer only.

I want to understand - how common such terms are in SA? Is there a way to pay them via credit card? I asked payment with a credit card but did not receive any reply.
Old Jan 8, 2017, 9:41 am

Wire transfers are common in SA, but nonetheless I doubt they do not accept credit cards...
It is also quite common to request payment in advance.
Old Jan 8, 2017, 11:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

In over a quarter of a century of frequent visits to any number of game reserves and private lodges, I've never been asked for a wire transfer.

These days just about every lodge seems to offer secure online card payment.

Advance payment is the normal. Usually a deposit if you book well in advance, followed by full payment X weeks before arrival.

Johan
Old Jan 9, 2017, 12:09 pm

Programs: SA Air, Air Canada, KLM, BA,Lufthansa, United, AA, Hawaiian, Air New Zealnd, Qantas, Virgin Atlantic
On a recent trip to South Africa (Oct/Nov 2016) we were asked for a wire transfer and told CC fee would be an added 12% if we wanted to pay by CC. Since I had very thoroughly vetted the company I did do a wire transfer. It was 50% at booking and 50% 60 days prior trip. Had no problem.
Old Jan 9, 2017, 2:40 pm

Originally Posted by johan rebel
In over a quarter of a century of frequent visits to any number of game reserves and private lodges, I've never been asked for a wire transfer.

These days just about every lodge seems to offer secure online card payment.

Advance payment is the normal. Usually a deposit if you book well in advance, followed by full payment X weeks before arrival.

Johan
+1 as to all.

Can't match Johan's time frame but in 16+ years, never been asked by a game reserve for a wire (other businesses, yes, though not travel related, IIRC).
Old Jan 10, 2017, 11:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by jsnydcsa
Can't match Johan's time frame but in 16+ years, never been asked by a game reserve for a wire (other businesses, yes, though not travel related, IIRC).
Having wracked my brain, I must add that I can recall one instance of being asked asked for a wire tranfer. But that was a travel agent, not a lodge or a game reserve.

Johan
Old Jan 10, 2017, 11:40 pm

Originally Posted by johan rebel
Having wracked my brain, I must add that I can recall one instance of being asked asked for a wire tranfer. But that was a travel agent, not a lodge or a game reserve.

Johan
Ahh, you are right, I now remember as well that it was actually a TA that asked for a wire transfer ^
Old Jan 11, 2017, 3:26 pm

Programs: Qantas WP, LTG , Delta, SPG, Priority Club
In a few trips, I have always been given the option of wire transfer or secure payment by credit card. I guess it depends whether you trust the proprietor. I presume your friend will vouch for them since they are having their wedding there, so wire transfer might be ok?
Old Jan 11, 2017, 7:38 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Nothing anymore after 20 years
Update: sent to a friend a polite request to ask the lodge to to accept credit card payment. Couple of days later they sent me link to pay via credit card and I did. All good now.
Old Jan 12, 2017, 6:36 pm

Programs: UA
Originally Posted by Ditto
Wire transfers are common in SA, but nonetheless I doubt they do not accept credit cards...
It is also quite common to request payment in advance.

It is also quite common for hotels to ignore the 'free cancellation' on your reservation and email you asking for upfront money. That has happened to me several times. I've had to send them a nice reply stating that I reserved the room at that rate precisely because I could cancel it, that I'm still planning on coming, and that I'll let them know in the unlikely event that my plans change, and that unless it is required, I'd rather not send payment in advance. They are usually very nice about it then.

In SA, it is frequent for some hotels to require payment in advance. In my experience, most hotels take credit cards.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.