Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Africa > Africa
Reload this Page >

Private Reserve Accommodation with Kids

Old Dec 29, 2016, 4:34 am
Original Poster

Hi everyone

We are looking at visiting South Africa next September. After visiting the Kruger for a few days, we would like to experience a stay in a Private Reserve.

What's the best bang-for-the-buck accommodation for a family of 4 (our kids will be 11 and 8) in the Sabi Sand Reserve in terms of sightings/services/price?

Thanks!
Old Dec 29, 2016, 12:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by pankarita78
What's the best bang-for-the-buck accommodation for a family of 4 (our kids will be 11 and 8) in the Sabi Sand Reserve in terms of sightings/services/price?
Any particular reason for restricting yourself to the Sabi Sand? If you broaden your horizons you will have more options to choose from.

Johan
Old Dec 29, 2016, 2:30 pm
Original Poster

Hi Johan!

No particular reason. I just heard it was a good area, but I am very happy to consider other options! :-)
Old Dec 30, 2016, 6:16 am

Programs: Hilton Honors, Marriott Rewards, American Airlines, Delta Skymiles, Jet Blue, SAA
Hi pankarita78!

Your challenge will be to target a search of lodges that are not only family-friendly but that allow 2 children to be in the room with you. Many can't accommodate 4 per room and since at least one of your children isn't 16, then they can't occupy their own room/suite. You should find discounted children's rates though which is a bonus for you!

Since you mentioned Sabi Sand, you might want to take a look at Elephant Plains Lodge which has family rooms. It's a budget-friendly lodge as well as family-friendly and gives great value. I have never had an issue with a client who has stayed there. An alternative to look at would be in neighboring Timbavati at Simbavati River Lodge, another family-friendly lodge with great value. They have "family chalets". Both EP and Sim River Lodge is where I'd start.

Staying in Kruger's abutting private reserves have some added benefits. Night drives will give you and your family the opportunity to experience the nocturnal bush. You will be so impressed when Trackers can spot bush babies and other animals in the dark! Except for the animals' making noise and your jeep's engine, the night is so absolutely quiet. It is something to experience! In addition to night drives, you can drive off road so your Ranger can track and follow animals which is such fun to experience no matter how old you are! It's also a great way to learn more about animal behavior if you can stay with an animal longer.

Happy to help!

Best
Dianne
Africa Direct USA
Old Jan 6, 2017, 9:48 am

See,
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/afric...oung-kids.html

And, if you're down in the Cape, I always recommend Kwandwe http://www.kwandwe.com - not exactly a short drive from CPT. But, still, a great place.
Old Jan 11, 2017, 3:36 pm

Programs: Qantas WP, LTG , Delta, SPG, Priority Club
I can highly recommend Ngala Private Game Reserve. It's not in Sabi but instead is in Timbavati, and is also contiguous with Kruger. They have a few family rooms which will accommodate 2 adults and 2 kids.

We stayed there in 2015 with our two kids then aged 12 and 10 and we all had an awesome time. Our ranger really looked after the kids well - they went searching for bugs, made plaster casts of animal tracks, etc. They also had some fun baking cookies in the kitchen and played soccer with some of the children of the staff who live nearby.

We've also stayed in the Singita properties in Sabi - I think Ebony has a family room, but Ngala has much more of a family vibe.
Old Jan 11, 2017, 4:29 pm

Programs: AA Gold Elite
Check out Londolozi in the Sabi Sands

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.