Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Africa > Africa
Reload this Page >

Cape Town hotel rates in January crazy high

Old Dec 17, 2016, 9:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: OWEmerald; STARGold; BonvoyPlat; IHGPlat/Amb; HiltonGold; A|ClubPat; AirMilesPlat

I've traveled to Cape Town dozens of times over the past years but never seen hotel rates as high as they are next month, pretty much double what I am used to pay (ZAR1500 even for the Westin in the past). Is there something major going on between the 15th and 25th? Or is this now the summer normal? (Rates are much more than even J'burg.)
Old Dec 18, 2016, 3:23 am

Exactly - I noticed the same (first week of February) and couldn't find any info about an event. I guess it's just high season?
Old Dec 18, 2016, 11:03 am

Programs: MP(1K) Million Miler, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by bon_voyage
Exactly - I noticed the same (first week of February) and couldn't find any info about an event. I guess it's just high season?
I believe it is high season, as it is summer vacation. Rates at the Table Bay were double in November than in July, which was winter. I was in Cape Town two weeks ago on business staying at the Westin, and the city and the beaches were crowded.
Old Dec 21, 2016, 8:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: OWEmerald; STARGold; BonvoyPlat; IHGPlat/Amb; HiltonGold; A|ClubPat; AirMilesPlat
Ended up booking a 15K award night at the HIX in central Cape Town (even advance booking was over ZAR2,000 so good use of points) after flight change got me in a day earlier. Had booked the original two nights on Cash&Points award at the Westin back in July but had hoped to change it to a full revenue, but not at ZAR3,000+. Still, I've been traveling down there in January/February for years and never found rates this high before.
Old Jan 6, 2017, 1:37 am
Formerly ItalyBAGold

Also be aware that INDABA 2017, biggest mining investement conference in Africa, is on 6th-9th February, with the registration opening on 4th February.. It's normally very, very busy...
Old Jan 6, 2017, 2:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold/OWE, several MUCCI, and assorted Pensions!
Paid ZAR 4,000/day at The Cullinan last month. Assume that was high season too.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.