Wiki Posts
Search

Two weeks in South Africa - Cape Town and JB/Kruger

Search this Thread

Old Nov 21, 2016, 9:13 am
Original Poster

Programs: Nothing anymore after 20 years
Let's ask the question differently.

We arrive on 22nd in Cape Town. It is award ticket so I can change arrival\departure to Johannesburg as well. We need to be at Kruger latest on March 1st, be back to Johannesburg on 5th of March and fly out on 6th.

So, given day of arrival of 22nd, how would you spend six days/nights if it would be your choice?
Old Nov 21, 2016, 8:53 pm

Programs: AA EXP >3 Million miles,HH Lifetime Diamond
Originally Posted by T8191
We have our very first Africa in 2 weeks from today! Plan is 5 days Cape Town, 3 in Stellenbosh and 4 in Franschhoek. City/Town/Country, so to speak!! We're a bit old to consider Safari stuff, and will probably see enough scenery from the taxi between locations!

No idea if that helps the OP, but it's one perspective to consider

Who knows if we will return? Depends on how it goes, obviously, and whether we can get bargain fares again! We were able to grab redemption seats in BA Club World when they first released the LGW-CPT route, so it's £420 each plus the Amex 2-4-1 Companion Voucher and a bucket of Avios.
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/briti...-2016-a-2.html
What is a bit odd to consider safari stuff..it's really for young and old. The safari scenery between the places you mention is not safari like at all..4 days in Franschoek is a lot
Old Nov 22, 2016, 2:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold/OWE, several MUCCI, and assorted Pensions!
Originally Posted by worldiswide
What is a bit odd to consider safari stuff..it's really for young and old. The safari scenery between the places you mention is not safari like at all..4 days in Franschoek is a lot
Don't underestimate our ability to lounge around doing very little, in comfort
http://www.fch.co.za
Old Nov 22, 2016, 10:02 pm

Programs: AA EXP >3 Million miles,HH Lifetime Diamond
To each his own..enjoy! All three places you mention are wonderful and beautiful scenery and food and drink. Enjoyed each if them. Just different from safari..
Old Nov 22, 2016, 11:43 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver
Originally Posted by invisible
Let's ask the question differently.

We arrive on 22nd in Cape Town. It is award ticket so I can change arrival\departure to Johannesburg as well. We need to be at Kruger latest on March 1st, be back to Johannesburg on 5th of March and fly out on 6th.

So, given day of arrival of 22nd, how would you spend six days/nights if it would be your choice?
Given your constraints I would spend the 5 full days around Cape Town, fly to Kruger on 28 Feb, then wedding + 4 full days safari and back to JNB. I would fly as much as you can afford to (to Nelspruit, Hoedspruit or Phalaborwa depending where the wedding is) to make the most of your time, but I realise it will be cheaper for example to fly from CPT-JNB and drive to and from Kruger (I takes 4-5 hours + rest stops to the southern gates).

Things to do around Cape Town. Unfortunately it is not whale watching season, but there should be penguins about:
- Open top red or blue tour bus to get overview of the city and its suburbs
- Museums: District 6, Iziko, SA National Gallery, Bo-Kaap, Slave Lodge, etc.
- Robben Island takes most of a day
- Walk or cable car up Table Mountain (2-3 hour walk one-way via Platteklip Gorge) if the weather is clear
- Walk up Lion's Head if the weather is clear
- Sit on the beach at Camps Bay or Muizenberg
- Eat and drink lots (search this forum for examples)
- Kirstenbosch Gardens for unique flora and if you are lucky some wildlife, hummingbirds / sunbirds
- Sea kayak from Green Point, if you are lucky meet the local dolphins
- Full day trip via Muizenberg beach and Boulder's Beach penguin colony to Cape Point. Walk or funicular to the lighthouse. Photo at the Point. Look for ostriches on the Point flats or at Buffels Bay. Return via Chapman's Peak drive, aiming to hit Camp's Bay just before sunset - you'll see the laybys where everyone stops to try and get that perfect photo. If you see baboons lock your car doors.
- Day trips or overnight in the wine country. Go to wineries you haven't heard of.
- Visit the mountains capenature.co.za
- I would happily watch penguins all day, so I would do a day trip to Betty's Bay and Kogelberg along the R44 which is easily as beautiful as Chapman's Peak drive.

If you really want to see as much of the varied country as possible, you could skip most of that list and spend 3 days driving from Cape Town to George via the R62, then fly to Kruger from George. Begin with wineries, then up and over mountain passes to Swellendam or Barrydale (there are natural hot springs at Warmwaterberg with very modest accommodation), take the R62 to see the step change from green to semi-arid Little Karoo to Oodtshoorn. Visit the Cango caves. Then head back over a lovely mountain pass to Wilderness/George. But given your statement that you are on vacation I would just stick with Cape Town and its immediate surroundings.

Of course, it depends what interests you - city, culture or natural wonders. I would hire a car to tour at my own pace, even if you stay in the city the whole time (depending on what is affordable to you).

For the Kruger bit, I would hire a car, attend the wedding and then spend as much time as your flight out of JNB allows to self-drive safari within Kruger. However, if you have never been before and/or want some help spotting then spending a few days self-drive to keep the cost down followed by 2 nights at a lodge within the Greater Kruger concessions should give you a really good feel for safari.

Whatever you choose, enjoy, it is a beautiful country.
Old Nov 24, 2016, 2:55 am
Original Poster

konagirl2 Thank you very much for detailed explanation. Let me take a look of all those and come back with my ITIN/route and how much of those makes sense.
Old Nov 24, 2016, 3:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold/OWE, several MUCCI, and assorted Pensions!
I'll borrow konagirl2's tips too

Thanks for that - very useful.
Old Nov 26, 2016, 1:46 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by konagirl2
For the Kruger bit, I would hire a car, attend the wedding and then spend as much time as your flight out of JNB allows to self-drive safari within Kruger. However, if you have never been before and/or want some help spotting then spending a few days self-drive to keep the cost down followed by 2 nights at a lodge within the Greater Kruger concessions should give you a really good feel for safari.
Number of clarifying questions regarding costs in/around Kruger.

- Is it possible to fly at Nelspruit, rent a car there but drop off the car at Hoedspruit?

- I do not know what hosts are offering in terms of lodging for the wedding, but what would one recommend to keep costs down? We are not type of people spending $300/night, I personally have a rule not to stay at any place more than $80/night unless there is no other choices.

- Safari. Know nothing about it yet. But what I need to take into account? If we have a car, do we need to hire a guide as well?

Thanks.

Last edited by invisible; Nov 26, 2016 at 1:58 am
Old Nov 26, 2016, 2:24 am

Programs: BAEC Silver
Number of clarifying questions regarding costs in/around Kruger.

- Is it possible to fly at Nelspruit, rent a car there but drop off the car at Hoedspruit?

- I do not know what hosts are offering in terms of lodging for the wedding, but what would one recommend to keep costs down? We are not type of people spending $300/night, I personally have a rule not to stay at any place more than $80/night unless there is no other choices.

- Safari. Know nothing about it yet. But what I need to take into account? If we have a car, do we need to hire a guide as well?

Thanks.
Most major rental companies in SA offer one-way rentals with associated fees. If you go to the Hoedspruit airport website you will see there is only Avis on-site, so you'll have to have a look at the costs for your travel dates and make a decision. I believe this is also the case for Skukuza.

Regarding lodging, it really depends where the wedding is, surely? Any of the online travel agents / accommodation websites will give you an idea of where lodging exists and the range of prices.

Johan and other travel operators have kindly contributed a lot of information on the type of safari experience you can have, Have a search of the forum for self-drive versus guided. I suggested a self-drive to keep costs down, but there are a range of options including using the National Parks activities (see sanparks website), to budget guided tours through Kruger (they drive groups around so you don't need a car), to the high end lodges in concessions that include everything. If you decide to self-drive to save money, have a read of Johan's game spotting tips and tricks sticky.
Old Nov 27, 2016, 3:24 pm

edited to repost
Old Nov 27, 2016, 3:25 pm

I have two constraints - I am not alone - will be there with my wife and she is not the person to be rushed from place to place and from country to country. It is vacation for her.

Second constraint, as already mentioned, is budget. If round trip flight for Cape Town to Victoria falls and two nights would run $900/person - it is off the table. If it would cost 1/3 of that - I would consider it as an option.

I was at Iguazu Falls last month. I can survive without seen Victoria.

It is good that you can afford helicopter flights. To me price/performance is not there.

I was encouraged by every person I met at Vic Falls who took the helicopter ride to not miss it. This is not something I normally would do BUT the price /performance over delivered

In Capadocia I listened to everyone highly recomend taking the balloon ride This is not something I normally would do BUT the price /performance over delivered

Same for a Gondola ride in Venice....

I have driven old cars and packed my lunch most of my life to save money for travel- These memories are priceless...
Old Nov 28, 2016, 3:17 pm

So question to audience - does above plan makes sense? Where would you recommend to stay and what to see, considering that we admire nature and scenery and are budget oriented,
We just did that itinary. A picture is worth a thousand words so check out www.quickadventures.net and PM me with any specific questions.
Old Nov 29, 2016, 8:13 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by bluefive5
We just did that itinary. A picture is worth a thousand words so check out www.quickadventures.net and PM me with any specific questions.
This is really not a good idea instead of answering the question giving out website address to to increase view of youtube videos.
Old Nov 29, 2016, 8:23 pm
Original Poster

Update on this matter:

- Decided to arrive at MQP, get car and stay three nights at Hazyview or Graskop - will do Panorama Route and vicinities for 2.5 days
- Flight from CPT to MQP was US $260 non-stop, arriving at 12:30PM or $160 with connection thru JNB arriving at 4:30PM. Took the latter to minimize costs
- Did book one way compact car with Avis. Pick up at MQP and drop off at HDS. Question is - should I confirm with them that they have my reservation or online confirmation is sufficient?

Last two remaining questions are regarding lodging:
- Hazyview/Graskop: any recommended places for no more than $80/night for two?
- Cape Town - the same question for six nights. Because $80/night budget is tight as I see, I looked at AirBnB options. There are plenty fitting in that range but mainly at Hout Bay. Considering that we are going to have car, is this a good district to stay?
Old Nov 30, 2016, 9:39 am

- Cape Town - the same question for six nights. Because $80/night budget is tight as I see, I looked at AirBnB options. There are plenty fitting in that range but mainly at Hout Bay. Considering that we are going to have car, is this a good district to stay?
I'm not sure what do you mean by "mainly in Hout Bay", I see plenty of options anywhere in CPT for this price, I would personally go for either the City center or Sea Point, you will be closer to most attractions CPT has to offer, and even with a car you don't want to spend time standing in traffic jams.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.