My Uganda Yellow Fever Dilemma

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 1, 2016, 5:34 am
Original Poster

Programs: Hilton Gold, Priority Club Blue, SPG Gold, Sofitel Gold, FB Ivory, BA Blue

Hi,

I have an upcoming trip to Uganda, the week after next, and a small dilemma. I lost my yellow fever certificate, issued early 2013, and the vaccination centre, as a matter of policy, does not issue duplicates. So, thought I'd simply get another vaccination at a different centre. Now, when I explained this to a perfectly nice Doctor, yesterday, he was not happy at all about giving a live vaccination when it shouldn't be necessary. Since I was able to produce a receipt, for the original vaccination, he instead issued a duplicate based on that. One problem: the receipt didn't include the batch number of the vaccine, and nor does my nice new duplicate. How important is this?

The situation is, I'm told, most unusual, and this is the only information I could find using Google:

http://www.cdc.gov/travel-training/l...page24083.html
Old Oct 1, 2016, 9:09 am

Port Health in Uganda just wants to see a random yellow slip of paper. I fly in and out of there every few weeks and they never check the expiry or batch number - just that you have one. You will be fine.
Old Oct 1, 2016, 4:51 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Hilton Gold, Priority Club Blue, SPG Gold, Sofitel Gold, FB Ivory, BA Blue
Thanks, and so I'm told..... Unfortunately, the existing visa on arrival process has been replaced with an e-visa application in advance of travel. Part of the app.ication process is to send in a scan of the yellow fever certificate... I'm reverting to usual business travel rules, where the 7 Ps are religion. Jab on Monday .
Old Oct 2, 2016, 12:03 am

Originally Posted by Internaut
Unfortunately, the existing visa on arrival process has been replaced with an e-visa application in advance of travel.
Not in practice. The systems to process the e-visa are usually not working, so if you have an e-visa approved in advance you actually have a longer wait than just going up and paying your $50 for a visa on arrival.
Old Oct 3, 2016, 4:45 am
Original Poster

Thanks again. British government advise is currently to apply online for a visa. Are the desks still open for simply turning up and buying the visa? I think I'd prefer that... Also, do they differentiate to any degree between business and leisure (ideally, I should be there for approx five weeks, on business).
Old Oct 3, 2016, 1:17 pm

Yes, you can just walk up and buy the visa for $50. No difference between tourism or business. Make sure your US$ bills are 2003 series or later.

Make sure you stress you will be there for 5 weeks when you pay for the visa though - the default is only 30 days so there may be some consultation and phonecalls made before they issue it. If not, your visa can be extended for a further 30 days at Immigration HQ in Kampala without too much hassle.

I applied for the multiple entry visa online and finally got it approved after requests of reference letters from two local sponsors, interpol background check, etc.. Made my life a lot easier because the multiple entry visa was not previously available on arrival (I make frequent, short trips to Uganda so waiting 2 weeks to get it processed in Kampala wasn't an option).
Old Oct 4, 2016, 3:11 am
Original Poster

Thanks again. My management are currently regretting steering me down the online route. Application deferred pending invitation letter and air tickets . There's a time and a place for turning up and blagging your way in. I think this was that time and place...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.