Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Africa > Africa
Reload this Page >

Lesotho airport transfer

Lesotho airport transfer

Old Sep 20, 2016, 2:44 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Titan
Lesotho airport transfer

Does anyone know what options are available for getting from MSU to downtown Maseru. It looks too far to walk!
Old Sep 21, 2016, 2:37 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, IHG Spire Ambassador, Radisson Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
I would guess you can just take a private taxi.

If you're on a budget, I can offer the following information.

I didn't fly into Maseru. I took a minibus to Maseru, then another minibus the next day to Semonkong Lodge (I highly recommend Semonkong Lodge).

When I returned from Semonkong to Maseru, I wanted to go straight to the airport. I got a minibus from Semonkong to Maseru and asked them to drop me near the airport. They dropped me off at the gas station/junction about 6 kms from the airport. If you look at google maps, the gas station is at the junction of Main South 1 Road and the road to Roma/Semonkong.

From the gas station, I stood on the road towards the airport and shouted "airport" whenever a minibus came by. After 4-5 tries, I caught a minibus going to the airport. The minibus actually served a local route, picking up and dropping off passengers who live in the villages along the airport road. It went down Main South 1 road and then turned left and then right onto the smaller access road that runs right pass the airport entrance. They dropped me off just outside the airport gates.

So if you're on a budget, you can probably walk from the airport to the road, flag down a minibus for pennies heading up to the gas station, then get another cheap minibus into Maseru. OR they may have minibuses directly from the airport into Maseru.

It's all very safe (daytime, anyway) with no ripoffs or hassles.
Old Sep 22, 2016, 5:33 am
Original Poster

Thanks. I'm hoping for a taxi but the minibus sounds like a viable plan B.
Old Sep 22, 2016, 9:44 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond, IHG Spire Ambassador, Radisson Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
When I flew into Swaziland there was no public transport waiting at all. I asked at the tourist information counter and they called a taxi to take me to my accommodation Hlane National Park. If for some reason Maseru has no taxis I'm sure someone could arrange something.
Old Sep 23, 2016, 12:55 pm
Original Poster

So there was no real taxi rank but there was a guy holding a sign for another hotel. I asked him if he could take me to my hotel. He said "no problem". It cost 100 Rand which seemed like a fair price.
Thanks again for the tips.
Old Sep 23, 2016, 8:55 pm

Programs: UA GS, AS MVP 100K, DL Diamond, Marriot Lifetime Titanium, AmEx Centurion
Recommend against flying for this one...rent a car and drive. Lots to see along the way!
Old Sep 24, 2016, 4:18 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by ironmanjt
Recommend against flying for this one...rent a car and drive. Lots to see along the way!
Perhaps you've never seen me drive
Cheers...
Old Sep 24, 2016, 8:21 am

I really enjoyed Lesotho and Swaziland. Very nice people.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.