Reload this Page >

vic falls time needed

vic falls time needed

Old Sep 13, 2016, 10:31 pm
Original Poster

Programs: United 1k aa exec plat
vic falls time needed

flying into livingstone on may 1st arrive 12.40pm from kruger and
flying out of lusaka on may 3 3.20pm(need to get bus from livingstone)

thinking about doing day trip to chobe on the 2nd..
would time on the 1st-the afternoon- be enough to visit vic falls?
thanks
Old Sep 14, 2016, 10:12 am
Suspended

Programs: Silver:BA,VX,AB, QF. Gold:A3,RJ,AZ,GF, EY,SPG,Marriott,Choice, Carlson. Dia/Plat:HH,IHG,BW,Accor
Originally Posted by bryanwallace
flying into livingstone on may 1st arrive 12.40pm from kruger and
flying out of lusaka on may 3 3.20pm(need to get bus from livingstone)

thinking about doing day trip to chobe on the 2nd..
would time on the 1st-the afternoon- be enough to visit vic falls?
thanks

Yes. Enough time.
Land in LVI get visa on arrival sometimes can take a while, so better sit near the front of aircraft to be first in line for the visa. taxi 20$ (~ 20 mins ride iirc)to the falls on Zambia side by the border . the trail by the falls on the Zambian side of the falls is quite short compared to the Zimbabwe side.
Old Sep 14, 2016, 3:01 pm
Original Poster

thanks - i will have some lggage so will want to ck in first..
do you think its not necessary to see falls on both sides of border?
presumably i will not have enough time to do that??
Old Sep 15, 2016, 11:14 am

Programs: BA Silver, VS Red, OZ Silver
Originally Posted by benberg2013
Yes. Enough time.
Land in LVI get visa on arrival sometimes can take a while, so better sit near the front of aircraft to be first in line for the visa. taxi 20$ (~ 20 mins ride iirc)to the falls on Zambia side by the border . the trail by the falls on the Zambian side of the falls is quite short compared to the Zimbabwe side.
+1

When I went to Victoria Falls, and dropping a lot of money on a three-day trip, my first thought was that this could've easily been a day trip.
Old Sep 18, 2016, 1:49 pm
Original Poster

is the boat cruise worth doing?
might try to fitthis in if vic falls can be done in a few hrs..

is there somewhere to leave luggage at the falls entrance・

Last edited by bryanwallace; Sep 19, 2016 at 8:16 pm
Old Sep 19, 2016, 8:16 pm
Original Poster

will be visiting in may-will it be the same view from both sides(ie too much water)
Old Sep 20, 2016, 2:01 am
Suspended

Programs: Silver:BA,VX,AB, QF. Gold:A3,RJ,AZ,GF, EY,SPG,Marriott,Choice, Carlson. Dia/Plat:HH,IHG,BW,Accor
is the boat cruise worth doing?
might try to fitthis in if vic falls can be done in a few hrs..

is there somewhere to leave luggage at the falls entrance・
I remember on zambia side they would keep it for you in the office by the entrance for a small fee.
Zimbabwe side not sure. But probably would.

will be visiting in may-will it be the same view from both sides(ie too much water)

View from the Zimbabwe side is a more panoramic view, and a bigger area of viewage, zambia side is shorter, though you are standing closer to the falling water, so you get wetter, and feel the falls more. Zimbabwe side, you are a little more distanced from the falling water, but a better view, and longer path to walk along the falls view.
On the zambia side, i was more or less the only person there, whereas zimbabwe side seemed busier with groups etc.

Last edited by benberg2013; Sep 20, 2016 at 2:08 am
Old Sep 20, 2016, 2:23 am
Original Poster

thanks-would you think necessary to do both sides or not?
and how long would it take for both sides??inc getting across border
Old Sep 20, 2016, 3:13 am
Suspended

and how long would it take for both sides??inc getting across border
You could do as follows: taxi to Zambian border, see Zambian side of falls. The Zambian side of the border is next to the entrance to the zambian side if the falls (50 metres). Entrance fee for the Zambian side is 20$. You then walk 5 - 10 minutes down the path (past a few shops of locals selling wares) and you are there by the falls. There is a small trail to walk along to see it from a few viewpoints. I'd give no more than half hour there. Then you exit again and are by the border. You will have to go into the immigration building to get passports stamped etc. There could be a a small queue for immigration 5-10 mins.
You then leave Zambia and have a 2km stretch of no-mans land where you will cross to Zimbabwe. In the middle of this stretch is the bridge crossing where there is bunjee jumping.
You can walk this 2km or there are taxis which do this.
Then you'll arrive at Zimbabwe border .
When you arrive you'll enter a small building (a small room) to get the visa on arrival.
There may be a big queue of Zambians entering Zimbabwe, maybe coming out the building , just ignore that , because they are waiting for a different desk. Just go inside the building to the visa on arrival desk. Get the visa takes 5 mins, then leave.
From there its around 15 minute walk to the entrance of the Zimbabwe side of the falls. Taxis also available.
Entrance to the Zimbabwe side is 30$. I'd give an hour and half or more for this. Get until the end of the trail and the view is amazing. There is a restaurant by the entrance.

If you have limited time, I'd go for just the Zimbabwe side. You will be able to see the Zambian side from the end of the trail of the Zimbabwe side.

This is all from when I was there nearly a year ago, so forgive any mistakes. I don't know if they have reinstated the kaza visa yet, if they have, you'll just need to get a kaza visa upon landing in LVI which will allow access to Zimbabwe too.
Just don't get ripped of by taxi drivers.

Last edited by benberg2013; Sep 20, 2016 at 3:37 am
Old Sep 20, 2016, 6:17 pm
Original Poster

Talking

thanks for the kind and detailed reply!
clearer now ..
a few questions more..

what do you mean by not being ripped off by taxi drivers?
is it safe to cross back across the bridge at say 7pm or so??
is the zambezi river tour worth doing if we are doing the chobe day trip as well or not..
thanks
again
Old Sep 21, 2016, 2:44 pm

Programs: UA Premier 1K: PlAAtinum; DL SM, MM; Marriott Gold; CO Plat Emeritus; NW Plat Emeritus
You're only going once. definitely do both sides.
Old Sep 25, 2016, 6:32 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Alpha Golf
You're only going once. definitely do both sides.

thanks-it really is a time issue.
the following day we want to go to chobe so the question is whether there is enough time after arriving at liv airport at 1240pm to see both sides that afternoon..
or whether i shoould just skip zambia or zim side..
people seem to be thinking ok -but would have luggage and would have to go to hotel afterwards so was wondering
Old Oct 2, 2016, 5:20 am

First of all, I want to say how much I love FT advice over TripAdvisor's.
On TA, you would have had a dozen posts how to properly see the Falls, you need at least a week. Seems everything requires at least week.

On FT, everything can be done over a layover. Love it.

I agree with benbeng. It's a doable plan. It will require moving quickly, but will work.
What I would suggest is hiring a guide. When our time at a destination is short, we always do it. It helps maximize time and avoid wasting it figuring stuff out.

On our recent trip to LVI we used Chris http://www.christourszambian.com/
Very nice guy and reliable. For a couple of hundred bucks, you will have a taxi driver and a guide to help you avoid wasting precious hours.

He could pick you up at LVI, drive to the hotel to drop off bags, and on to VicFalls. He'll leave the car on the Zambian side, walk with your over to the Zim side, guide you through the park, return back, show you the Zam side, and drive you back to the hotel. Very doable in 6-7 hrs you have, and well worth it.
Probably just a hundred bucks or so vs having separate transfers from airport to hotel, from hotel to Vic Falls, from Vic Falls back to hotel. But massive improvement in logistics and reliability.

Last edited by stevento; Oct 2, 2016 at 10:13 am
Old Nov 1, 2016, 2:02 am
Original Poster

thanks all!

one more thing-have flight out of lusaka at 3.28pm.
how can i make sure i get there in time-would the morning bus make it?
i spose could do night bus but worried about safety.
thanks
Old Dec 12, 2016, 4:25 pm
Original Member

Programs: AS, UA, HY, Hil, Merr
I am an over planner as well. Seems you can make the one side two side decision once you have done one?

We will be their in May as well. A bit later in the month. We have a Zimbabwe side tour booked and well see. We will also be doing the boat. Both already booked. We also have a day to figure when the time comes. Hotel booked too.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.