Wiki Posts
Search

Seeking input on itinerary suggestions - trip # 3 to Africa

Search this Thread

Old Aug 11, 2016, 6:53 am
Original Poster

Programs: AS 100K, AA Gold, IC Diamond AMB, HH Diamond
Seeking input on itinerary suggestions - trip # 3 to Africa

We are beginning the research on our return trip to Africa next year and are seeking itinerary ideas. We have tickets in/out of JNB in July 2017 and will be on the ground for 2.5 weeks.

I am wondering what options may exist for a relatively active couple on a modest budget. We've been to Africa a couple of times already: we did a two week self-drive around Namibia a few years back, and recently spent 10 days doing a self-drive around Kruger NP staying at the rest camps in the park. We've spent time in Cape Town and JNB as well.

While we can afford to splurge, (so for example needing to fly between locations is not an issue) we just prefer to stay in cheaper accommodation rather than luxury. It's just not our style. On the other hand, I also don't want to do a camping-type trip either.

While self-drive may not be possible in all locations, what sort of options can the experts recommend for accommodations and potential itineraries? My husband loves seeing wildlife, I love culture and history (and wildlife). Ethiopia is of interest, as is Zimbabwe, Zambia, Rwanda, Botswana - OK, most anywhere really. Wondering about "bang for the buck" and suggested lodges and/or travel agents willing to help someone not looking for a luxury trip?
Old Aug 12, 2016, 7:46 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, IHG Spire Ambassador, Radisson Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
I just visited Hlane National Park in Swaziland and thought it was very good value.

You can check the prices for "Ndlovu Camp" on their website. I think I pad $50 a night or less for a perfectly comfortable bungalow. They had game drives and walks for roughly $20-$30 per person. Rhinos came right up the camp fence too. Very nice people.

I also enjoyed visiting Semonkong Lodge in Lesotho. Great food. Not expensive at all. Did a hike to the big waterfall, they have other activities too, check out their FB page, they just got buried in snow this month.

Booked both of these online, no travel agent. Note: you might be bored if you try to spend the full 2.5 weeks just in Swaziland and Lesotho, they are pretty small.

Many years ago a friend and I did a 3 day canoe safari on the Zambezi river from Kariba in Zimbabwe. I think we went to Mana Pools, I recall that they offered 3-7 day options. It was great, we got up close to a lot of elephants and hippos. It couldn't have been expensive as I was relatively broke at the time. But it involved camping for a few nights during the canoe trip.

Ethiopia and Rwanda probably won't be too convenient if you are flying in and out of Johannesburg.

Another nearby option would be Mozambique - good beaches, interesting architecture, but less of the safari scene than the other places.
Old Aug 15, 2016, 3:15 pm

Programs: BA, SAA
You should look at the KwaZulu Natal region of South Africa. It offers all the things you are looking for - Zulu culture, history in the form of visits to the Anglo-Boer and Zulu war battlefields and plenty of opportunity for visiting game reserves including self drive in Hluhluwe Umfolozi and the various attractions around St Lucia.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.