Wiki Posts
Search

West Africa (Ghana-Benin-Togo) Advice

Search this Thread

Old Aug 4, 2016, 4:39 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA PLT / 2MM
West Africa (Ghana-Benin-Togo) Advice

We're considering a trip to West Africa in the winter. We're interested in the people and cultural things (voodoo, tribes, etc.). We're not interested in a group tour, and we'd prefer private guides/drivers as necessary to minimize logistical hassles and to see things that we wouldn't be able to find on our own. We're also interested in authentic experiences, and I've heard that some of the voodoo stuff in West Africa is fake made-for-tourist traps.

There's very little info on FT (or the other travel forums) about West Africa, particularly these countries. I've been trying to find out more info, and I'm really at a standstill. I'd appreciate any feedback about how to organize such a trip, recommended guides/drivers, etc.

I've spoken to a couple guides in Benin and Togo, and they have good reviews as far as being guides. But I don't know if I trust them to organize a whole trip.

Thanks!
Old Aug 4, 2016, 5:08 pm

Programs: UA 1K 3MM Lifetime, AA PlatPro,Marriott Titanium Elite Lifetime, Hyatt Globalist
Here's a trip report in progress. How about post your question on that thread?

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/trip-...sri-lanka.html
Old Aug 4, 2016, 5:52 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by edsh
Here's a trip report in progress. How about post your question on that thread?

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/trip-...sri-lanka.html

Yeah, I've seen that and I've actually talked to rivlimn privately about his trip. I should let rivlimn speak for himself, but my take was that he was disappointed by the voodoo stuff and I was alluding to his experience when I wrote that I'd heard that some of the voodoo things are fake made-for-tourist traps.

I guess I'm wondering whether, if we find the right guide, it's possible to have a great authentic experience in Benin and Togo. rivlimn also hired drivers on the fly, and even if it ends up costing a bit more, I think we'd prefer to book a good guide (or guides) in advance so we have more chance of finding someone who can cater a trip to our interests.
Old Aug 7, 2016, 11:15 am

I've been to and through the area - Cote d'Ivoire to Nigeria - a half dozen times. I wish I could help, but my interests are different and my travel patterns are different (solo, by bicycle or taxi brousse). As a place to visit, though, I think you'll find it interesting. It's definitely modern and cosmopolitan for Africa. Easy, easy travel with abundant Western conveniences, including sanitation and fairly reliable electricity (provided you are traveling in regions reasonably near the coast). I hope your plans work out.
Old Oct 16, 2016, 6:17 pm
Original Poster

I'd like some advice. I'm using AA miles, which means the choices in West Africa are DKR, ACC or LOS. Award availability is slim pickings in Dec/Jan, and options in/out of ACC are dismal.

I put on hold an open jaw into DKR and out of LOS. Seems like doing a few days in Dakar could be interesting, before moving on to Ghana-Benin-Togo. My questions:

- Anything highlights in West Africa that we should see along the way, or just head from Dakar directly to Ghana/Benin/Togo? Our main interests are history and culture.

- Moving from Dakar to Ghana/Benin/Togo seems very expensive. Flights are $500+ o/w, with indirect routings. I have various Skypesos and *A points and could use an intra-Africa award, but the routings still seem difficult. Is there a better way to do this sort of trip, like stopping somewhere in between?

- Is it safe to depart out of LOS?

Thanks so much.
Old Oct 18, 2016, 10:37 am

I just checked via Skyscanner, and you can fly DKR-ABJ-ACC for about $330 on Air Cote d'Ivoire with a reasonable connection time.

I've been to Ghana, Togo and Benin and would be happy to help out.
Old Oct 18, 2016, 10:38 am

Also, I'd *highly* recommend taking a trip to Saint-Louis, Senegal for a couple of nights if your plan is to linger in Senegal for a few days. Really cool place, and I know an excellent driver/guide. He only speaks French, though.
Old Oct 18, 2016, 11:28 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by grlmopz
I just checked via Skyscanner, and you can fly DKR-ABJ-ACC for about $330 on Air Cote d'Ivoire with a reasonable connection time.
Good catch. Is the Ivory Coast worth seeing, too? Perhaps we could stop there as well.

I've been to Ghana, Togo and Benin and would be happy to help out.
General thoughts on what you like the most in those countries? We're particularly interested in the voodoo -- did you experience much of it?

Originally Posted by grlmopz
Also, I'd *highly* recommend taking a trip to Saint-Louis, Senegal for a couple of nights if your plan is to linger in Senegal for a few days. Really cool place, and I know an excellent driver/guide. He only speaks French, though.
Yep, Saint-Louis seems to look promising from several FT trip reports I've seen. Thanks for your advice!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.