Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Self drive return from Capetown

Search this Thread

Old Jun 27, 2016, 2:59 pm
Original Poster

Self drive return from Capetown

We are about 10 days into a six week stay in Capetown before heading to Kruger Np. We would like to take a short self drive of about 4 or 5 nights that would include some of the highlights of the Garden route and also include a visit to Agulhas. We are looking for route suggestions and the don't miss places we need to see. We are not interested in wine or wineries. Any suggestions for our vacation from our 6 weeks holiday in Capetown. Thanks so much- we are loving retirement!
Old Jun 27, 2016, 4:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Try something different and off the beaten track. You will find any number of really cool mountain passes in the Western Cape, many of which don't carry much traffic.

You can devise a route that weaves back and forth through the coastal mountain ranges as you make your way along the coast.

All the passes and everything you would ever want to know about them are listed here.

Johan
Old Jun 27, 2016, 11:40 pm
Original Poster

Thanks Johan, that's a lot of passes. I am looking for recommendations from others experiences for a first timer to the area. Doesn't have to be totally off the beaten path. Just looking for the better areas and places to visit with a car. Wife wants to see Agulhas so that is a must. I am assuming we won't need to book hotels this time of year (or do they close down).
Old Jun 28, 2016, 12:33 am

Programs: BAEC Silver
You don't really say what you are in to, but the Western Cape has lots of beautiful and differing scenery, mountains and beaches and lots of nature.

If you are going to Agulhas I would definitely recommend making the effort to go to De Hoop (pronounced more like 'de woop'). On the gravel road there we saw a troop of baboons and many blue cranes, and in the Reserve there are many antelope and our experience of whale watching off the white sand dunes was superb. We may have been very lucky with timing, but we sat for 2-3 hours in the sunshine with loads of activity (breaching, flukes, tail flaps) all along the bay. Take binoculars! I would also recommend taking the leisurely route via Betty's Bay penguin colony at least one way.

Outside of the few towns, I would recommend booking your accommodation at least a day ahead so they know you are coming!
Old Jun 30, 2016, 1:34 pm
Original Poster

Thanks for the suggestions. Looks like a rainy day tomorrow so I have some time to contemplate it.
Old Jul 3, 2016, 4:51 pm

Programs: Qantas LTG, BA-Blue, KLM -Gold, SAS - Silver
If you have four or five days you should at least go as far east as Knysna and Plettenberg ( a short distance from each other).

Inland a bit, we enjoyed the small towns of the Little Karoo - some of the passes in Johan's link aren't off the beaten track and are on good roads. Cogmanskloof, for example.
http://www.mountainpassessouthafrica...,-montagu.html
Old Jul 4, 2016, 10:01 am

Programs: Flying Blue, Miles and Smiles, Hhonors, ICHotels
I did Cape Town to JHB on a regular basis. What I have done is to drive as far as George / Knysna and spend about two nights to ease the journey. From there, on to Port Elizabeth and possibly Addo Elephant Park. From there, onward to Cradock (not sure if the roadworks have been completed), then spend the night in Colesburg. (It will be very, very cold this time of year).

From there it is a decent run to Johannesburg where you can stay for a night or two to relax, then go to the Kruger. For accommodation options en route, get the latest copy of "Country Life". This is especially for Knysna / Colesburg - some quaint B&B's advertise and make for interesting stays.
Also, look on Groupon for accommodation - we have picked up some interesting options over the years. It is school holidays though, so options may be limited, but have a look, you never know what will crop up.

Have fun, only drive during the day, and enjoy your visit.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.