Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Africa > Africa
Reload this Page >

Self drive to Kruger - Getting around

Self drive to Kruger - Getting around

Old Nov 11, 2016, 3:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I'm not going to rehash the malaria discussion, if you do a search you will find a thread on this very subject. Suffice it to say that your chances of being killed in an auto wreck in Kruger are much higher than dying of malaria.

I drove my pretty set regular route from the airport to my destination yesterday, which includes a 190 kilometer detour through Kruger, of which 60 km on gravel roads on granitic soils. They were all in surprisingly good shape, much better than I had expected. The corrugated stretches were very short, few, and far between.
Gravel roads are gravel roads, not tar, but that's no reason not to drive them. I do recommend a good SUV, but that's primarily because visibility is so much better in a high vehicle.

Having recently harped repeatedly on the importance of hitting the road early to maximize predator sightings, I must mention that the second animal I saw yesterday after entering the KNP at 1.30 pm was a leopard. It was 34°C, yet it was walking about, not hiding in the shade. I also got hyaenas (four times), lions (twice), side-striped jackal and eleven wild dogs. Just goes to show, you can see anything, anytime, anywhere.

The KNP is getting nice and green by the way, especially, but not only, where it has rained. Pretty patchy rainfall, got between 15 and 20 mm this morning.

Johan
Old Nov 16, 2016, 8:27 am

Programs: Brown medallion
Edit:
Original post deleted. I seem to change minds every few days on where to stay for my April trip to Kruger.
Reservations made so far are with Sanparks which I can cancel.

Currently reading lots and lots of posts to educate myself. Thanks

Last edited by vholic; Nov 19, 2016 at 5:51 pm

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.