Community
Wiki Posts
Search

4 hours at GBE/ gate check on Air Botswana

Search this Thread

Old Jun 19, 2016, 8:07 am
Ambassador: World of Hyatt
Original Poster

Location: UK - the nearest airport is named after a motorway !
4 hours at GBE/ gate check on Air Botswana

In the interests of saving a few hundred $, looks like my next SA trip is going to be a GBE return, with a long CPT layover. I think that I'm going to have 3-4 hours at GBE - is there anything to do (very) near the airport? This would be a Sunday afternoon. At least, is there a bar landside where I can sit in the sun, and that ideally takes ZAR or USD to save changing cash?

And does anyone know if Air Botswana will gate check a regular roller onto an ERJ to CPT? Really don't want to have to check it in if at all possible.

Thanks
Old Jun 20, 2016, 11:33 am

Programs: OZ *G, AB Sapphire
Have been doing JNB-GBE a few times now for work on Air Botswana on a Q400.
What's your itinerary? LHR-CPT-GBE?

There isn't much (I should say 'anything') around the airport, it's quite remote, but not far from the city center (let's say 15 minutes by car). So even while you only have a few hours, you could get into the city. But don't expect much, it's a rather boring city. I always rented a car, so no idea if there is a reliable taxi service.

In GBE there is a cafetaria landside (which has huge cake slices if you're hungry), don't think you can sit outside though. Airside there are 2 small lounges, but haven't figured out yet what you need to gain access, apart from like having an elite credit card with local bank.

Everything can be paid by credit card, so no need for local currency. If for some reason you need hard cash, ZAR might work as well.

Carry-on won't be a problem. I usually have my roller + laptop on top. Never an issue at check-in. Sometimes they ask to give the roller to some handler to put it in the storage area just before you step in the plane, but then you get it back first thing when you land.
Old Jun 21, 2016, 4:50 am
Ambassador: World of Hyatt
Original Poster

Location: UK - the nearest airport is named after a motorway !
Thanks BigWilly

itin was going to be LHR-JNB-GBE-CPTx-LHR, but as usual fares have all re-shuffled and now just as easy to miss out GBE, so I will do.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.