Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Africa > Africa
Reload this Page >

JNB: Airport Intercontinental or Protea Hotel Airport; also CityLodge

Old Feb 27, 2016, 4:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by LongingForORD
Not to jump in to late, but we always stay at the Sandton Hilton at the beginning and end of our Safari vacations. We either take the train to Sandton or if it is late, pre-book a car thru the hotel. The car usually costs about $40USD and there are 3 of traveling. I use points for the Hilton and it is a great value. I have Gold status with Hhonors so free breakfast and usually an upgrade (sometimes to a suite). They are very flexible about early check in and late check out. I email ahead to let them know our details and they have always sorted it out for us. They have a shuttle to the Mall with lots of restaurant choices. They hold luggage for us while we are out on safari (and are very nice with lots of extra towels when we come in from the bush!!). Many flight crews stay at the Hilton, so although it seems inconvenient, it is really easy. Just another thought.
Thank you for the suggestion.

We are HH Diamonds, while we are Hyatt nobody, but husband is IHG Spire.
Since our Safari is different - on arrival we would drive straightly to Kruger but the first night is at Protea Kruger Gate. Then we have 4 nights inside Kruger at SANParks camps in different location. Leaving Kruger, the first night again will be at Protea Kruger Gate. Then we take our time the next day drive back to JNB, for our next day's flight to CPT.
Return from CPT we prefer a more leisurely pace to overnight at JNB for the CX flight instead of flying the 06:30am flight from CPT to connect the noon JNB-HKG flight. That is this overnight we now should consider the various options to figure out where we would like to spend the late afternoon / evening instead of staying at JNB hotel.
Old Mar 28, 2016, 12:38 am

Programs: Qantas WP, LTG , Delta, SPG, Priority Club

Can I put in a good word for the IC at JNB? The last two times we have stayed there we booked a package that included breakfast for 2, a R500 food and beverage credit (which covers a reasonable dinner for 2) and a two half hour massages in the spa. I don't remember the price but it was basically the same as the room only rate. This makes it a bit less of a rip off and a great option when arriving in the late afternoon off a long haul flight before an early flight the next day to Kruger, CPT or further afield...

The rooms are nice and well sized (particularly the bathrooms), the food is good (breakfast particularly so) and the pool is nice (on the top floor where you can see the planes taking off and landing). Service is also good.

I'm sure it's not the cheapest option but a magnificent way to start an African vacation.

On our last trip we were due to land at JNB at 4pm and had rooms booked. I had to change my plans and fly via London arriving instead at 6am, with the rest of the family on the original flight.

I arrived extremely tired, jet lagged and sick and so went across to see if I could beg for an early check in. Without me even asking, they checked me in at 7am. I hopped straight into bed and conked out for 4 hours. I woke up feeling much more human and ready to meet the family when they arrived.
Old Mar 28, 2016, 7:02 am

Programs: BA BD SA
Originally Posted by theassassin
Can I put in a good word for the IC at JNB?
Agreed this is an excellent property and extremely well run. It is undoubtedly the first choice at JNB if you can afford he rates.
Old Mar 29, 2016, 12:39 pm

Programs: United 1k
I asked City Lodge directly about luggage storage. Please see their response below:

"Kindly note that with immediate effect due to Health and Safety risks and because we are situated at a port of entry we at City Lodge OR Tambo are not allowed to store luggage for periods longer than 24 hours. We are only allowed to store luggage for in-house guests, guests that arrive early and will check in later the same day and guests that check out early in the morning and would like to store their luggage till they depart later the same day.

Should guests wish to store luggage for periods longer than 24 hours they can utilise the below ACSA controlled facility at the Airport:

BAGPORT
Basement level below Terminal A Arrivals - Next to the Barber Shop
Tel: 011 390 2318

Please do not hesitate to contact me should you have any queries.

Regards
Zanele Makhanya

Reservations
City Lodge at OR Tambo Airport"

BAGPORT has changed to Ateck at the same location and from my research is 90 ZAR per bag per day CASH only.

Happy Travels
Old Apr 4, 2016, 9:05 am

Programs: BA BD SA
That's useful information, thanks, DogbertTravel.

This is from the whyjoburg.com web site:
BagPort South Africa, the original company that provided a luggage storage service at OR Tambo International Airport, has changed its name.

It now operates as Ateck - from the same premises down the escalators at the main exit of Terminal A arrivals, on Basement Level 1, going towards the Parkade 2 (South).

Costs are : (NB : CASH ONLY! No Cards Accepted.)
0-5 hours: R70.00
6-12 hours: R80.00
12-24 hours: R90.00
24 hours or more: R90.00 per day.

Open 24 hours, every day of the year.

Contact details :
Tel : +27 (0)11 390-2318
Ateck does not have a website at present
I've added it to the ORT Sticky Wiki to make the information easy to find.
Old Apr 4, 2016, 7:51 pm

Programs: AA executive platinum, United premier gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriot Gold
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
IIRC Protea is now part of Marriott, but I don't know whether elite benefits apply or nights count for elite credit.
I stayed at the Protea last year and it is perfectly fine. between a 5 and 10 min shuttle ride although had to wait around 20-25 minutes for the shuttle. Nice room . Has a bar and decent restaurant.
Old Apr 5, 2016, 11:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by fleur_de_lys
I stayed at the Protea last year and it is perfectly fine. between a 5 and 10 min shuttle ride although had to wait around 20-25 minutes for the shuttle. Nice room . Has a bar and decent restaurant.
I'm sure it is, but why wait 25 minutes for a shuttle and take a 10 minute ride, when the City Lodge is about 30 seconds farther from the terminal than the shuttle bus station is?

The City Lodge also has a bar and a restaurant, and the IC Quills restaurant plus the terminal food court are only a couple of minutes away.

Johan
Old May 12, 2016, 5:16 pm
Formerly known as scootr29

Originally Posted by theassassin
Can I put in a good word for the IC at JNB? The last two times we have stayed there we booked a package that included breakfast for 2, a R500 food and beverage credit (which covers a reasonable dinner for 2) and a two half hour massages in the spa. I don't remember the price but it was basically the same as the room only rate. This makes it a bit less of a rip off and a great option when arriving in the late afternoon off a long haul flight before an early flight the next day to Kruger, CPT or further afield...

The rooms are nice and well sized (particularly the bathrooms), the food is good (breakfast particularly so) and the pool is nice (on the top floor where you can see the planes taking off and landing). Service is also good.

I'm sure it's not the cheapest option but a magnificent way to start an African vacation.

On our last trip we were due to land at JNB at 4pm and had rooms booked. I had to change my plans and fly via London arriving instead at 6am, with the rest of the family on the original flight.

I arrived extremely tired, jet lagged and sick and so went across to see if I could beg for an early check in. Without me even asking, they checked me in at 7am. I hopped straight into bed and conked out for 4 hours. I woke up feeling much more human and ready to meet the family when they arrived.
In my opinion it is the best use of IC points or the free night award tied to the IC VISA card. Wife and I love the IC. Love the breakfast and the fact that you can walk to the airport and hit up the pharmacy if needed or buy some snacks before heading to the bush.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.