Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Robben Island/Table Mountain Timing

Search this Thread

Old Jan 21, 2016, 2:36 pm
Original Poster

Robben Island/Table Mountain Timing

Hello, I was reading a travel blog where folks said they can accomplish both of these in one day. How long does each activity take? I have limited time in CPT. Also, do I need to buy tickets in advance? Also, what is the best time to take the cablecar up for the nicest views?

Last edited by ASUDan130; Jan 21, 2016 at 2:54 pm
Old Jan 21, 2016, 4:49 pm

Programs: BA Silver; Hilton Gold; IHG Diamond Ambassador; Marriott Gold
Both in the same day should be doable. Robben Island guided tour would be around 3 or 4 hours including ferry trips. How long you spend atop Table Mountain is entirely up to you.

I bought tickets for the cable car on arrival. Tickets for the island tour were pre-purchased, but I'm pretty sure you can buy on the spot (Victoria & Albert Waterfront) as well.

I suspect the biggest factor in the Table Mountain views will be the weather -- clouds/mist can easily obscure views in various directions.
Old Feb 22, 2016, 3:40 pm
Original Poster

Thanks! I want to do the 9 AM one but I have somewhere I need to be in downtown Cape Town at 1:30. Is that cutting it too close? looks feasible as it says it takes 3.5 hrs but never done the tour before but I wanted to see what everyone thought.
Old Feb 22, 2016, 5:58 pm

That seems risky. Yes, it would usually be back at the dock by 1330, but there's a non-trivial likelihood that it won't. And then you still have to get from there to wherever you need to be downtown.
Old Feb 22, 2016, 7:51 pm

Programs: UA Gold-1MM, Hhonors Diamond, Marriott/SPG Gold
Originally Posted by SpammersAreScum
I suspect the biggest factor in the Table Mountain views will be the weather -- clouds/mist can easily obscure views in various directions.
Also a big factor for Robben Island. I have bought tickets 3 times for Robben Island tour and each time it was canceled due to weather. Just so you know the possibility. Fingers crossed for good weather.
Old Feb 23, 2016, 8:05 am
Original Poster

Hmm that why does everything online say it takes 3.5 hours? In theory they usually should arrive by 1230. Are those lengthy of delays common?
Old Feb 23, 2016, 9:33 am

Programs: BA Gold
The cable car can be closed in cases of low cloud or high winds and depending on the season the weather is often better earlier in the day.
Old Feb 23, 2016, 9:37 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP; Owner, Green Bay Packers
If you wake up one morning and the weather looks great, head straight up to the cable car and tick the mountain off your list.

It certainly is possible to do both in one day, but the cable car may be closed or the view obscured on any given day, so you can't count on it.
thijsseh likes this.
Old Feb 23, 2016, 11:20 am

Originally Posted by ASUDan130
Hmm that why does everything online say it takes 3.5 hours? In theory they usually should arrive by 1230. Are those lengthy of delays common?
Sorry, somehow I was thinking 1330 was only 3.5 hours after 0900. Never mind.
Old Feb 24, 2016, 1:16 pm
Original Poster

Thanks! I was actually told from several locals that Robben Island is really boring and a waste of time so not even sure if its worth going to be honest if there is nothing worth seeing. They said better to concentrate on Table mountain instead.
Old Feb 24, 2016, 2:12 pm

The cynic in me says they may be trying to talk you out of it because it vividly documents a shameful period in their history. That said, there's no question that it is less enjoyable than Table Mountain for obvious reasons, and if I had to choose between the two I would go with Table Mountain. But if you have time for both, I recommend both.
Old Feb 25, 2016, 10:08 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver
I would have recommended taking the Table Mountain cable car in the morning if it's clear (less chance of high winds) and if you need to be in the city bowl at 1:30pm, that would be my preference. Robben Island is usually booked up in advance so you should try to book tickets for that. If you find it's too tight for timing or the weather is against you, or you find you have any spare time, consider visiting the District 6 museum which discusses another aspect of apartheid. Enjoy Cape Town.
Old Feb 25, 2016, 11:23 pm

Programs: BA BD SA
The downside of going up the mountain early is that it is far more crowded in the morning - waits of up to 2 hours currently. The cable car operator is encouraging visitors to consider late afternoon visits when there are far fewer people.
Old Feb 25, 2016, 11:43 pm

You could hike up to the top of the mountain and take the cable car down. Just be sure to go in a group. Never alone. If you leave early enough you'd make your PM appointment. This website has tips and links to maps, should a hike and cable car option appeal to you. http://www.tablemountain.net/blog/en...ies-for-hikers
Old Feb 26, 2016, 11:12 am

Programs: UA Premier 1K: PlAAtinum; DL SM, MM; Marriott Gold; CO Plat Emeritus; NW Plat Emeritus
Like others said, cable car operations can be fickle due to weather. So another vote -- specially if you have a short stay -- to rush over when you see it running. That said, it's absolutely mesmerizing at sunset.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.