Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Africa > Africa
Reload this Page >

Is a car really necessary for Cape Town?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Is a car really necessary for Cape Town?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 28, 2016, 3:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AA, BA, Mucci: Sir Roger des Directions Routières, PCR
Originally Posted by Roger
What I didn't mention was that I'm still recovering from a (non-auto) accident last year and am not yet 100% fit. The Boss is quietly panicking at the thought of driving herself or being a passenger with me.

I admit I'm inclined to rent. The good weather, the food and wine and an automatic car are conducive to recovery and persuasion. We'll see.
We didn't rent. Reporting back as the OP, I can say that a car is not essential but is immensely helpful in making the best of a visit.

We stayed in 3 CT hotels - Hilton City Centre (upgraded to a King suite), DoubleTree (upgraded to a Loft Suite) and Protea Sea Point Arthur's Road, the choices being decided by the wish to use up some Hilton and Marriott points. We made use of shuttle buses to the V&A Waterfront from/to the first two, complemented by Uber and taxis.

As fairly regular visitors to CT, we pretty much knew what we wanted to do and did it, including a Constantia wine tour with tasting visits to 4 wineries and lunch. I could enjoy without worrying about driving back.

I was a little disappointed that using the local MyCiTi bus network was difficult for us. Unlike most cities I travel to, you can't just jump on and travel. You need first to buy a smartcard, normally direct from MyCiTi. This means turning up at their office, filling in a form (of course), presenting your passport, then topping up with value. We didn't bother, as our hotel lent us a couple of cards. Unfortunately, one was defective, so it was back to taxis.

I have to say that people everywhere were very helpful to this (hopefully temporary) user of a walking stick. In busy places like the Waterfront and Canal Walk, the stick seemed to act like a hot knife in butter to free up some sitting space.

We enjoyed our stay and look forward to next time. Thanks for all the helpful comments from FTers above.
Old Mar 28, 2016, 6:53 am
Suspended

Programs: Silver:BA,VX,AB, QF. Gold:A3,RJ,AZ,GF, EY,SPG,Marriott,Choice, Carlson. Dia/Plat:HH,IHG,BW,Accor
We didn't rent. Reporting back as the OP, I can say that a car is not essential but is immensely helpful in making the best of a visit.

I was a little disappointed that using the local MyCiTi bus network was difficult for us. Unlike most cities I travel to, you can't just jump on and travel. You need first to buy a smartcard, normally direct from MyCiTi. This means turning up at their office, filling in a form (of course), presenting your passport, then topping up with value. We didn't bother, as our hotel lent us a couple of cards. Unfortunately, one was defective, so it was back to taxis.
Yes, this was an annoying thing I found too. After a long wait for the bus, the driver told me a card is needed. Quite bad for a touristy town.

Thanks for the feedback ^
Old Mar 29, 2016, 6:08 am
cur

Programs: fwp blood diamond, dykwia uranium
if this is not your first visit to cape town

you should rent a car and see the surrounding areas like northern cape, karoo, citrusdaal.

capetown is aiet but there's so much more (and better) out of ct.

otherwise if you just want to stay in the city bowl and go to the beach then myciti and uber suffice.

Originally Posted by benberg2013
Yes, this was an annoying thing I found too. After a long wait for the bus, the driver told me a card is needed. Quite bad for a touristy town.

Thanks for the feedback ^
even worse for the 90 percent who would have issues coughing up 30 rand just for the card.
Old Mar 29, 2016, 4:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by cur
you should rent a car and see the surrounding areas like northern cape, karoo, citrusdaal.
I would hesitate to describe the Northern Cape as a "surrounding area"!

Johan
Old Mar 29, 2016, 6:02 pm
cur

Programs: fwp blood diamond, dykwia uranium
Originally Posted by johan rebel
I would hesitate to describe the Northern Cape as a "surrounding area"!

Johan
well it's not lake malawi
Old Mar 30, 2016, 11:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by cur
well it's not lake malawi
True, the Northern Cape is a bit closer to Cape Town than the lake is.

Johan
Old Mar 31, 2016, 9:32 am

Programs: BA BD SA
Originally Posted by johan rebel
True, the Northern Cape is a bit closer to Cape Town than the lake is.

Johan
It's closer than Vic Falls, Etosha and Timbuktu as well. But for the most part it's still a very boring drive of more than 5 hours to Springbok and much longer to, say, Augrabies Falls or the Kgalagadi Transfrontier Park - all of which are in the Northern Cape.

The only exception is in flower season - but you still need to like a lot of driving. Calling it a "surrounding region" gives completely the wrong idea IMO.
Old Mar 31, 2016, 10:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Location: Seat 1A, Juice pretty much everywhere, Mucci des Coins Exotiques
Originally Posted by Cheetah_SA
Calling it a "surrounding region" gives completely the wrong idea IMO.
Right, you wouldn't say that San Francisco is in the surrounding region of LA. Or Washington is in the surrounding region of New York.

But back to the main point, with a car you can see and enjoy the actual surrounding region of the southern Cape.
Old Mar 31, 2016, 12:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold/OWE, several MUCCI, and assorted Pensions!
Originally Posted by stimpy
Right, you wouldn't say that San Francisco is in the surrounding region of LA. Or Washington is in the surrounding region of New York.

But back to the main point, with a car you can see and enjoy the actual surrounding region of the southern Cape.
... whilst concentrating on driving, navigating and self-preservation

I'm certainly going to rent. Not spending 2 weeks walking around Cape Town!
Old Apr 1, 2016, 12:12 am

Programs: AC E75K
Spent 2 weeks in CT last year and solely relied on Uber. A few dollars gets you anywhere in the city. So convenient!
Old Apr 2, 2016, 3:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AA, BA, Mucci: Sir Roger des Directions Routières, PCR
Originally Posted by T8191
I'm certainly going to rent. Not spending 2 weeks walking around Cape Town!
Quite right, though there are alternatives as mentioned: taxis, Uber, hop on hop off sightseeing buses and hotel shuttle buses. And (not mentioned) certain train services including to/from Simon's Town to pay respects to the penguins at Boulders Beach.

And, noting your location, if you're at all into sea bathing, you may as well forget the fine but cold Atlantic beaches and drive over to the Indian Ocean beaches for less of a shock.
Old Apr 2, 2016, 3:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold/OWE, several MUCCI, and assorted Pensions!
Quite right, though there are alternatives as mentioned: taxis, Uber, hop on hop off sightseeing buses and hotel shuttle buses. And (not mentioned) certain train services including to/from Simon's Town to pay respects to the penguins at Boulders Beach.
All will start to make more sense to us when we actually get round to deciding where we stay, and for how long, during those 2 weeks ... at the moment we only know we're going to CPT airport

Lots of clues upthread, and we haven't even got round to reading the Tourism and other websites!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.