Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Africa > Africa
Reload this Page >

Is a car really necessary for Cape Town?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Is a car really necessary for Cape Town?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 6, 2016, 8:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MM *G for life, BAEC Gold
I used Uber four times in the Cape over New Year and tried to use it twice more, all to avoid drink driving issues. One trip was excellent, one was ok - late arriving and a couple of wrong turns. The other two occasions were terrible: neither driver had the first idea how to use a satnav. The first was happy to follow my directions, the second was reluctant and hostile.

The two failed attempts were in Stellenbosch wgere coverage is very sparse and, in short, the drivers don't turn up or honout their bookings.

My conclusion: Uber is nice to have but don't rely on it. You will need a car if you want to enjoy the Cape's wonders.
Old Mar 24, 2016, 7:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold/OWE, several MUCCI, and assorted Pensions!
Interesting thread ... thanks to all contributors.

As I spend my life driving on both sides of the road [UK and US], albeit not randomly, that's of no concern to me at all. What would more interest me is what the other idiots are going to do!!

Generally speaking, how well/badly do they drive there?

PS: As I can survive the DC Beltway, I regard myself as reasonably good at survival techniques
Old Mar 24, 2016, 8:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by T8191
The briefest of looks at SA traffic fatality statistics should answer that one.

Johan
Old Mar 24, 2016, 8:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by johan rebel
The briefest of looks at SA traffic fatality statistics should answer that one.

Johan

Point taken, and not a surprise at all.
Old Mar 24, 2016, 9:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AA, BA, Mucci: Sir Roger des Directions Routières, PCR
Like you, I'm ambidextrous and can drive left or right.

The problem here (I'm in CT at the moment) is that enthusiasm often trumps observing the law. Accident statistics including deaths are frightening to those of us from the first world. In towns, 'taxis' (= informal minibuses) have their own rules, often stopping suddenly without notice to pick up a fare and are to be watched out for. As a pedestrian, I felt safer crossing the road in Vietnam than here, even with traffic lights ('robots') in my favour.

Of course, there's a good side. The road network is generally of high quality and outside the cities is much like Europe and North America. You'd barely notice the difference. The first time I came to SA 20+ years ago, the journey from JNB to Sandton was largely dual carriageway and much like California.

Using a cliche, SA is a third world country with a first world infrastructure. I love it here and would love to spend more time here.

Yes about the Beltway. I drove from BWI to Tyson's Corner anti-clockwise after taking BA's first LHR-BWI flight, actually op US with a US cabin crew dressed in BA uniforms. Curious. Then Tyson's Corner to BWI anti-clockwise, so a complete circuit.
Old Mar 24, 2016, 9:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Roger
Like you, I'm ambidextrous and can drive left or right.

Using a cliche, SA is a third world country with a first world infrastructure. I love it here and would love to spend more time here.

Yes about the Beltway. I drove from BWI to Tyson's Corner anti-clockwise after taking BA's first LHR-BWI flight, actually op US with a US cabin crew dressed in BA uniforms. Curious. Then Tyson's Corner to BWI anti-clockwise, so a complete circuit.
1. I only have a problem in car-parks/parking lots, where there are few obvious visual references!!

2. I understand that completely.

3. Ah, Beltway is kids' stuff. Have you done the Springfield Interchange on I-95 recently? I can now sail through there [in the correct lane] at ... a good speed
Old Mar 24, 2016, 10:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Have you done the Springfield Interchange on I-95 recently?
No, but it sounds like a challenge.

Won't be for a while, though. Off to SAN shortly, then only shorthaul - unless I can get my wife as promised to DUR to smell the jacarandas. Oh, and a bit more.

ISTR discussion of BA flying LON-DUR when the new airport opened, but that topic seems to have gone quiet.
Old Mar 24, 2016, 11:07 am
Ambassador: World of Hyatt

Location: UK - the nearest airport is named after a motorway !
ISTR discussion of BA flying LON-DUR when the new airport opened, but that topic seems to have gone quiet.
If only...

And the driving in SA really isn't too bad - it's not great, but so long as you keep your wits around you, you'll be fine [probably]

Last edited by Stewie Mac; Mar 24, 2016 at 11:15 am
Old Mar 25, 2016, 12:37 am

Programs: BA BD SA
No, but it sounds like a challenge.
... to DUR to smell the jacarandas...
That's a very puzzling statement.
Old Mar 25, 2016, 1:43 am
Suspended

In my opinion, I think that Uber/ Taxis are very useful for many people. But if you want initiative in every trip, you need a car. You will little/ great cost to rent a car, instead of owning a car that very wonderful.
Old Mar 25, 2016, 12:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Cheetah_SA
That's a very puzzling statement.
Well, perhaps the way you quoted it.

There were two parts to my post, one commenting on T8191's suggestion about the I-95 in the USA, the common link being driving, the other one about our future travel, possibly to Durban where amongst other things we could enjoy the jacaranda trees.
https://www.google.co.za/search?q=du...HQHdAXQQsAQIGQ

Of course, we could also see them in Pretoria, but Durban would fit our plans better.
Old Mar 26, 2016, 12:47 am

Sorry, my quote was not intended to include the first part!

Of course, we could also see them in Pretoria, but Durban would fit our plans better.
I was puzzled by the choice of Durban to see jacarandas - I didn't know they had any there to speak of. (As opposed to all the wonderful sub-tropical plants that it sports in profusion.).

But I was even more puzzled by the reference to the smell of jacarandas since they don't have a smell in my experience. Was that just a turn of phrase?
Old Mar 26, 2016, 1:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Cheetah_SA
But I was even more puzzled by the reference to the smell of jacarandas since they don't have a smell in my experience.
Widely planted for its striking appearance when in flower, the Blue Jacaranda (Jacaranda mimosifolia) is not known for its fragrance. In South Africa it is a declared invasive species.

I believe there are other jacaranda species that have fragrant flowers.

Johan
Old Mar 26, 2016, 5:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Thanks, folks.

In Pretoria, I experienced a delightful fragrance and was assured it was jacaranda but I am grateful for your advice, a majority! It's actually for The Boss who is a keen photographer and gardener.

Others may think we come to CT for all sorts of reasons. True, but one of them is spending some time at Kirstenbosch National Garden. We paid our pilgrimage last week. Oh, and enjoyed delicious hake and chips with a delightful Chenin Blanc. This time, without a car, we could finish the bottle.

I've only been to Durban and beyond on business and am keen to extend my SA experience.
Old Mar 26, 2016, 11:31 am

... True, but one of them is spending some time at Kirstenbosch National Garden. We paid our pilgrimage last week. Oh, and enjoyed delicious hake and chips with a delightful Chenin Blanc. This time, without a car, we could finish the bottle.
Excellent way to spend a day! ^ Kirstenbosch is very under-appreciated IMO. In fact the whole Cape floral kingdom seems to pass most visitors by which is a great shame. This past spring the flowers on the mountains were exceptionally sensational after the fires in March.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.