biometrics capture at immigration - post to record progress of roll-out

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

biometrics capture at immigration - post to record progress of roll-out

Search this Thread

Old Dec 9, 2016, 6:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold/OWE, several MUCCI, and assorted Pensions!
At CPT on Monday, most Immigration desks were doing biometric capture ... leading to a 45 minute queue caused by 3 early morning wide-body arrivals. We were eventually processed at a non-bio desk (Desk #1, 30 seconds?) as presumably they were just trying to clear the queues.
Old Dec 11, 2016, 10:02 am

Programs: BA, Emirates.
Arrived BA 57 on 1st Dec, probably about 15th person to arrive at immigration, no queue, no biometrics.
Returning home on BA54 last night, 10th, was a nightmare. Security queue back to the check-in desks, security were holding back pax when immigration hall full, took 80 minutes to get through.
Less than half immigration desks manned.
Old Jan 11, 2017, 12:11 am

I didn't pay attention the previous times I guess, but leaving CPT earlier this week I noticed that the first few immigration counters doesn't even have the biometrics scanners, and they were the only ones that were open (counters 2 to 6)

Took a total of about 20 minutes for security + immigration at around mid-day...

Last edited by Ditto; Jan 11, 2017 at 11:56 am
Old Jan 11, 2017, 11:15 am

Anecdotal story in Tourism Update
http://www.tourismupdate.co.za/artic...ng-at-OR-Tambo
that a temporary bump in staffing did seem to help. But, according to the article, this is only a temporary solution.
Old Jan 11, 2017, 3:46 pm
Ambassador: World of Hyatt
Original Poster

Location: UK - the nearest airport is named after a motorway !
thanks for nothing, SA immigration

Originally Posted by Tourism update
Following the deployment of 92 additional staff at OR Tambo International Airport between December 9 and January 14
And my next arrival is... Jan 16
Old Jan 18, 2017, 12:36 pm

Originally Posted by jsnydcsa
Anecdotal story in Tourism Update
http://www.tourismupdate.co.za/artic...ng-at-OR-Tambo
that a temporary bump in staffing did seem to help. But, according to the article, this is only a temporary solution.

And, perhaps a more permanent solution which might help.
http://www.tourismupdate.co.za/artic...ation-capacity
Old Jan 25, 2017, 10:35 am

Programs: Flying Blue, Miles and Smiles, Hhonors, ICHotels
I went through Terminal B at ORTIA on Sunday, and even though there were plenty of signs, nothing was done.
Also, just for interest, they have introduced a new scanner system at that checkpoint. You dump your bag in a tray and go through the nude-o-scope. No more taking out of laptops and such - it took a few minutes as opposed to the carnage at the other terminal. I guess I missed all the SAA departures. (Or have passenger numbers dwindled so much?)
Old Jan 25, 2017, 12:00 pm

Originally Posted by roadwarrier
I went through Terminal B at ORTIA on Sunday, and even though there were plenty of signs, nothing was done.
Also, just for interest, they have introduced a new scanner system at that checkpoint. You dump your bag in a tray and go through the nude-o-scope. No more taking out of laptops and such - it took a few minutes as opposed to the carnage at the other terminal. I guess I missed all the SAA departures. (Or have passenger numbers dwindled so much?)
Isn't terminal B the domestic one?
Old Jan 25, 2017, 4:24 pm
Ambassador: World of Hyatt
Original Poster

Location: UK - the nearest airport is named after a motorway !
Originally Posted by roadwarrier
Originally Posted by Ditto
Isn't terminal B the domestic one?
Yes it is, but roadwarrior means the immigration/security gates on the B side of the int'l terminal, ie near the atrium and not behind the checkin desks. I also went through the new scanner system, but on Friday, and agree that it was much much quicker.
Old Jan 25, 2017, 11:58 pm

Originally Posted by Stewie Mac
Yes it is, but roadwarrior means the immigration/security gates on the B side of the int'l terminal, ie near the atrium and not behind the checkin desks. I also went through the new scanner system, but on Friday, and agree that it was much much quicker.
Ahh ok, will try to remember for next time

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.