Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Africa > Africa
Reload this Page >

day flights from the UK to JNB

Old Dec 22, 2015, 10:21 am
Original Poster

Hi all. I'm looking into booking some travel from the UK to JNB and notice that the direct flights (on BA and SA) in both directions seem to only be night flights (at least at the end of March). Am I missing something here? Or what would be the reason for the lack of day (i.e. non-overnight) flights?

Old Dec 22, 2015, 10:51 am

Business travellers prefer night flights...
If you choose a routing via AMS, KL can help you out with a day flight to JNB and CPT.
Old Dec 22, 2015, 11:07 am
Suspended

Any reason you are looking for a daytime flight? Considering that LHR-JNB/CPT is about 12 hours, an overnight flight with dinner on-board, sleep, and finally breakfast would be the most efficient use of travel time.
Old Dec 23, 2015, 3:28 am
Original Poster

So, what do the planes do all day after they have landed? Are they kept on the ground until evening flights?

(I prefer the day ones because I'll be in the back of the bus, and would rather use the time to work than uncomfortably try to get some rest)
Old Dec 23, 2015, 4:18 am

Programs: Mucci des canapes, Skywards Gold, BAEC Gold, IC Plat Amb, Accor Gold
Originally Posted by martian
So, what do the planes do all day after they have landed? Are they kept on the ground until evening flights?
The BA flights do stand idle until the return. My guess is that SAA may rotate their fleet to ensure that this does not happen for their aircraft.
Old Dec 24, 2015, 3:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by pomkiwi
The BA flights do stand idle until the return.
That's exactly why KL switched to a day flight. Higher aircraft utilization keeps costs down.

Johan
Old Dec 24, 2015, 4:12 am
Suspended

The BA flights do stand idle until the return. My guess is that SAA may rotate their fleet to ensure that this does not happen for their aircraft.
Why is BA not turning around one of their early morning arrivals in JNB?
Old Dec 24, 2015, 4:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MM *G for life, BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by Dieuwer
Why is BA not turning around one of their early morning arrivals in JNB?
The demand for overnight far outstrips the demand for day flights. If BA had unlimited slots at LHR, then perhaps, instead of two flights on 747s/380s, they would consider a mixture with 787s being added for the day flights. But they don't, so they won't. The same comments apply to the CPT route also.
Old Dec 24, 2015, 9:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

BA used to operate a day flight LHR-JNB, BA33, returning overnight as BA34.

2009 - 2013, if I remember correctly.

Johan
Old Dec 25, 2015, 10:59 am

Programs: BA BD SA
Likewise BA used to have one daytime flight from CPT (seasonal iirc).

And SA's craft spend the day idly at LHR in similar fashion. I would imagine that one reason night flights are popular is for connections. A daytime flight of 11 or 12 hours means that arrival is too late for most connections.

I have heard that BA have their craft cleaned in JNB to utilize some of that time and because it's cheaper than at LHR but no idea if that is (still) true.
Old Dec 25, 2015, 11:15 am

Programs: BA BD SA
There are some flights between JNB and CPT that use long haul craft during the day. It is not impossible to find yourself doing the domestic and connecting long haul flights on the same craft. Which is neat in one way - until you think about the schlep of the transfer you could have avoided if you could just stay aboard!
Old Jan 31, 2016, 6:53 am

Programs: Emirates Silver, BA, Flying Blue, Virgin, IHG

My parents do day flights from Manchester to Cape Town via Dubai as they are too old to skeep on planes. They stay in the airside hotel (about £100). For them it works out well as time isn't too much of an issue. Much cheaper option than business class. Don't know if there's a daytime flight to JNB or where in UK you want to fly from.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.