Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Africa > Africa
Reload this Page >

Helicopter Tours of Victoria Falls - Any recommendations?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 28, 2015, 6:31 pm
Original Poster

My girlfriend and I will be in Victoria Falls for a couple of days in September, and we would like to do one of the helicopter tours over the falls. From those who have done this before, do you have any recommendations on companies to use, helpful tips, etc?

It's looking like the least expensive option is the Flight of Angels for $150, but would like to see if there are other options that we are missing.
Old Jan 7, 2016, 3:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Nashville -Past DL Plat, FO, WN-CP, various hotel programs
Programs: DL-MM, AA, SW w/companion,HiltonDiamond, Hyatt PLat, IHF Plat, Miles and Points Seeker
Now that your trip has passed, did you take a helo tour?
Old Jan 7, 2016, 5:30 pm
Original Poster

Yes, we did and it was pretty cool. From our research it looked like all the companies use the same service which is why they were all $150. It was about 15 minutes and we got beautiful views of the falls.

The problem we had with it, is how they herd you after the ride into their office to show you the video they supposedly took during our flight, but all it was was the video of us pre-flight and post-flight. The rest was a canned marketing video. They basically wanted to sell us the photos and videos for $50 which seemed steep, so we just got the photos for $20. When I got back home and looked at the photos, I learned the real photos of our actual flight was just of the inside of the helicopter of us and 2 other people that rode with us. The other pics of the falls were old ones that you probably would find on Google Images (the date last modified on these were from 2011 and previous). It's a good thing that I brought my camera and took pictures myself.

So the flight itself was great, the experience afterward, not so much. I would recommend the flight, just bring your own camera, and say no to the sales pitch on the photos and videos afterward.
Old Jan 10, 2016, 3:19 pm

Programs: Hilton Honors, Marriott Rewards, American Airlines, Delta Skymiles, Jet Blue, SAA
Hello KHTravelbitten!

If you are interested in any other activities while at Victoria Falls, you can bundle your activities in a package. This will help bring the overall cost down. I use Wild Horizons and Shearwater for providing activities (individual activities as well as bundled packages). Some other activities that I highly recommend are the Livingstone Tour which can include the Devil's Pool (in season) or Angel's Pool (off season), as well as the Bridge Swing for the real thrill seeker! A lunch at Lookout Cafe will give you a view of the some of the activities and the Falls too!

Enjoy your trip and Happy New Year!

Dianne
Africa Direct USA
Old Jan 10, 2016, 3:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I remember the days when SAA pilots would fly low over the Falls after take-off from VFA, in a Boeing 737 full of passengers!

One time the captain announced before departure that due to heavy thunderstorms over the Falls, he could regrettably not do a fly-past that morning. However, shortly after take-off he informed us that he had found a gap in the clouds, and would we all please remain seated with out seatbelts fastened, he would make sure that pax on both side would get a good view.

Sure enough, down we went, with tropical thunderstorms on all sides, and flew a figure eight right over the falls, low and slow, with lightning flashing all around us, and sheets of rain as a backdrop.

Absolutely spectacular, and most pax forgot everything about their seatbelts and darted from side to side across the aisle.

It was great fun, and I'm sure the pilots enjoyed it at least as much as we did.

Not likely to happen these days. If nothing else, the captain would probably get fired for wasting fuel.

Ah . . . those Good Old Days!

Johan

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.