Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Checking sealed wooden box on plane

Search this Thread

Old May 13, 2015, 5:52 am
Original Poster

Checking sealed wooden box on plane

Hi all. I'm flying from Nairobi to London via Brussels and bought a piece of glass artwork that was delivered to me in a big wooden box (nailed shut). I've never tried to travel with anything like this.

Will I be able to check this in? Does anyone know if there will be customs duties to pay? Or will they need to open it beyond an xray? I'm worried this wasn't the brightest decision.

Thanks in advance for any tips :-::-:

Old May 13, 2015, 8:49 am

Programs: UA Premier 1K: PlAAtinum; DL SM, MM; Marriott Gold; CO Plat Emeritus; NW Plat Emeritus
how big is it? It doesn't look that sturdy; I'd consider asking an airfreight company.
Old May 13, 2015, 9:34 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Alpha Golf
how big is it? It doesn't look that sturdy; I'd consider asking an airfreight company.
I'm not sure exactly, but think the longest side is about 80cm (maybe 75). I've never used air freight. How does one go about doing that?

Thanks.
Old May 13, 2015, 3:11 pm

Programs: UA Premier 1K: PlAAtinum; DL SM, MM; Marriott Gold; CO Plat Emeritus; NW Plat Emeritus
Ah, seemed bigger in the picture. I might just ask Fedex or UPS in Nairobi (though of course they'd be expensive).

How big is the actual object? can you remove it and carry it on? I bought a fairly big painting on wood in France (about four feet long) and carried it home on three flights. Took a bit of sweet talking of airline/security folks (and scowling at folks with designs on my overhead), but it's happily on my wall.
Old May 14, 2015, 1:02 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Alpha Golf
Ah, seemed bigger in the picture. I might just ask Fedex or UPS in Nairobi (though of course they'd be expensive).

How big is the actual object? can you remove it and carry it on? I bought a fairly big painting on wood in France (about four feet long) and carried it home on three flights. Took a bit of sweet talking of airline/security folks (and scowling at folks with designs on my overhead), but it's happily on my wall.
It's probably just a bit too big for an overhead; and has these cool - but annoying to transport - glass wings (it is a glass preying mantis from Kitengela glass studios). I just don't think they'd let me on board with that: especially on the Brussels - London leg, which will be a smaller plane.

I did an online quote with Fedex and it was over $1000 - which would make me just leave it here; and I couldn't really spend that sort of cash on this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.