Search

How long should I spend in SA?

Search this Thread

Old May 12, 2015, 4:18 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA PPro BA Bronze SPG Gold HH GLD Hyatt Exp
How long should I spend in SA?

How long do I need to see ZA?

Right now I'm planning on flying in on the morning of 11/22 to JNB. I can fly back on either 11/27 or 11/29. I also plan to visit CPT.

I wouldn't mind doing a safari, but I think that I'm priced out from what I hear.
Old May 12, 2015, 6:54 pm

Originally Posted by saltytheseagull
How long do I need to see ZA?

Right now I'm planning on flying in on the morning of 11/22 to JNB. I can fly back on either 11/27 or 11/29. I also plan to visit CPT.

I wouldn't mind doing a safari, but I think that I'm priced out from what I hear.
How are you defining "seeing" the country? 5 days won't even give you a general feel of the place, let alone see it properly! If you're only going for up to a week and want to see Cape Town I'd personally just fly in and out of there. There isn't anything hugely exciting to see in Johannesburg anyway (in my opinion).

As to safaris,if you're happy to go on budget camping safaris they aren't that expensive. You can do a 3 day trip to Kruger from Johannesburg for around $400 for example. That would realistically only give you 3 days max in Cape Town though - which is enough to see it but it will be a bit rushed. I didn't look into it but I don't know if there are decent safaris on a budget near Cape Town that could work out better.
Old May 13, 2015, 10:28 am

I'd say forever.

But, more realistically, the longer the better. I generally tell people that for a tourist trip that includes game reserve (at whatever price point) plus CPT the bare minimum is about 10 days (including day of arrival and day of departure). But, once I've got into it with planning help for people it often becomes 14+ days.

Any number of questions:
1) Is this a "once in a lifetime" trip and you want to do certain bucket list items?
2) Or is this part of another trip and you just thoughts you'd take advantage of the time there by doing something on your own?
3) How mobile are you, do you feel comfortable getting from place to place quickly and doing things quickly or do you want to stay a while and hang around checking things out?
4) Traveling with others? Kids? Spouse?
5) Other than the particular interest in safari/game reserve, any other interests? Wine? Dining/food? Outdoor activities? History?
6) Do you have local hosts or contacts who could get you from A to B and - notwithstanding the abundance of "expert" advice here on FT - give you some local tips?
Old May 13, 2015, 3:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by jsnydcsa
I'd say forever.
I'm with you on that one!

Johan
Old May 14, 2015, 5:05 am

Programs: BA, SAA
I would never visit for less than 2 weeks, despite having paid numerous visits - and having spent several years there.

It's likely you'd only be priced out of a safari if you've been looking at the most expensive luxurious options. There's a wide variety of accommodation in various Big 5 reserves (and others), including very reasonably priced national/provincial parks camps.

Why SA? What do you want to get out of your visit there?
Old May 17, 2015, 10:33 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA PPro BA Bronze SPG Gold HH GLD Hyatt Exp
I ended up booking the return on 11/29.

Originally Posted by jsnydcsa
I'd say forever.

But, more realistically, the longer the better. I generally tell people that for a tourist trip that includes game reserve (at whatever price point) plus CPT the bare minimum is about 10 days (including day of arrival and day of departure). But, once I've got into it with planning help for people it often becomes 14+ days.

Any number of questions:
1) Is this a "once in a lifetime" trip and you want to do certain bucket list items?
2) Or is this part of another trip and you just thoughts you'd take advantage of the time there by doing something on your own?
3) How mobile are you, do you feel comfortable getting from place to place quickly and doing things quickly or do you want to stay a while and hang around checking things out?
4) Traveling with others? Kids? Spouse?
5) Other than the particular interest in safari/game reserve, any other interests? Wine? Dining/food? Outdoor activities? History?
6) Do you have local hosts or contacts who could get you from A to B and - notwithstanding the abundance of "expert" advice here on FT - give you some local tips?
Haha, I haven't visited ZA before, so I'm not ready to commit to forever yet. Four weeks would've been nice, but unfortunately I've got to work.

1. I think I will come back at some point, so I don't need to cram everything in. My top two priorities at this point in time are the beach in CPT if there's a worthwhile one and potentially a safari (for three nights?).

2. Cheap BA fares to JNB are what spurred this trip, so I figured I might as well turn it into somewhat of a vacation.

3. I'm fairly mobile. I feel like I normally need a vacation from my vacation when I return home because I feel obligated to see and do as much as possible.

4. Nope, flying solo.

5. I contemplating going to Stellenbosch as I do enjoy wine. I do enjoy good food, but I am not into fine dining ($$$$). I enjoy history as well.

6. Not that I'm aware of.

Originally Posted by propitious
I would never visit for less than 2 weeks, despite having paid numerous visits - and having spent several years there.

It's likely you'd only be priced out of a safari if you've been looking at the most expensive luxurious options. There's a wide variety of accommodation in various Big 5 reserves (and others), including very reasonably priced national/provincial parks camps.

Why SA? What do you want to get out of your visit there?
I would've like to have done longer, but time didn't permit. I found this website for much cheaper safaris. How do they rate?

Why SA? Cheap BA flights. I'd like to potentially safari, visit Stellenbosch, and hit the beach in CPT.

Originally Posted by callum9999
How are you defining "seeing" the country? 5 days won't even give you a general feel of the place, let alone see it properly! If you're only going for up to a week and want to see Cape Town I'd personally just fly in and out of there. There isn't anything hugely exciting to see in Johannesburg anyway (in my opinion).

As to safaris,if you're happy to go on budget camping safaris they aren't that expensive. You can do a 3 day trip to Kruger from Johannesburg for around $400 for example. That would realistically only give you 3 days max in Cape Town though - which is enough to see it but it will be a bit rushed. I didn't look into it but I don't know if there are decent safaris on a budget near Cape Town that could work out better.
I agree that I will be pressed for time. I couldn't find flights as cheap into CPT. Do you have any safari recs? I looked in the JNB area but not from CPT.
Old May 24, 2015, 7:21 am

Originally Posted by johan rebel
I'm with you on that one!

Johan
I would agree, except having been robbed.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.