Wiki Posts
Search

Drakensberg Advice

Search this Thread

Old May 9, 2015, 9:25 am
Original Poster

Programs: QFF LTG , HHD
Drakensberg Advice

As part of a longer trip, about 7 weeks, to South Africa at the end of this year to see the South Africa v England cricket tour, we have about 5 days to spend getting from Johannesburg to Durban by car. We have booked to hear the choir at the Drakensberg Choir School one afternoon and are now starting to think what else we might do. So I'm seeking some advice.

First, we are looking for accommodation. A few years ago we stayed at Fordoun Hotel in Nottingham Road and enjoyed it but want to try somewhere else of similar or better standard with a good restaurant. Does anyone know Hartford House at Mooi River or Champagne Sports? Any other thoughts?

Finally, we are thinking about what we could do on our spare days. Visiting a site or two from the Anglo-Boer War could be of interest. Can anyone recommend where to visit and perhaps a day tour operator? Another interest might be some gentle Drakensberg bush/scenic walking. Not too strenuous and okay for people of mature years. Any suggestions of where?

Many thanks in advance.
Old May 9, 2015, 11:16 pm
In Memoriam

depending upon where u find accomodation I would suggest a Sani Pass run to Lesotho. U would need to google a tour operator in the Underberg area as a 4 wheeldrive vehicle and your passport are required. At the top you will find the highest pub in Africa for a nice lunch.
Old May 10, 2015, 7:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC Super Elite, Radisson Platinum, Accor Platinum
Originally Posted by 1000k00
depending upon where u find accomodation I would suggest a Sani Pass run to Lesotho. U would need to google a tour operator in the Underberg area as a 4 wheeldrive vehicle and your passport are required. At the top you will find the highest pub in Africa for a nice lunch.
Agreed. While tourists are allowed into Lesotho using their own car, I would strongly recommend booking a tour since the roads are quite challenging.

I used http://www.majoradventures.com/ a few years ago and was very happy with the experience (cost was something like 600ZAR/person).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.