Search

Marrakech + ???

Search this Thread

Old Apr 1, 2015, 11:38 am
Moderator: Information Desk, Women Travelers, FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AA Gold
Marrakech + ???

Given that I try to respond to most of the Morocco threads, it's ironic that I'm starting one myself, but here goes...

Iberia has a great sale from the US to Marrakech ($667 RT), so my boyfriend and I grabbed tickets yesterday for 7+ days in September. (Land at 1 pm on Saturday, depart at 7 am the following Saturday.)

He's never been to Morocco before. I've spent > a month there in total, my Mom and her family grew up in Tangier, I've stayed in Casa, Tangier, Fes, Rabat, Meknes, Zagora, Ouarzazate, Ait Ben Haddou and Chefchaoeun, visited Moulay Idriss and Volubilis, done desert camping, etc.

Given that we'll only be there for 7 nights, I think we both agree that we should split our time between Marrakech and another destination, and do daytrips to other spots if appropriate. Neither of us is interested in a frantic "see the entire country" kind of trip.

Since we won't be moving around a lot, I'd rather skip the rental car and stick to trains or a hired driver, if necessary.

I don't want to dictate the itinerary to him. I'd rather make a few suggestions so he can read up on the options and pick the most appealing ones. I have no objection to visiting spots I've previously visited, but am also happy to visit someplace new.

In addition to Marrakech, the immediate ideas that pop into mind are:

* Sahara (which allows us to see the High Atlas Mountains, Ouarzazate and Ait Ben Haddou, possibly Zagora as well)

* Essaouira (possibly get to Agadir -- I've been wanting to see the goats! -- and Safi on side trips)

* Fes (could visit Volubilis, Meknes and/or Rabat)

He's already expressed interest in Casablanca for all of the wrong reasons (the movie! plus he saw a NYTs 36 Hours in Casa video that would have you believe Casa is the only place in the country with zelig tile, Moroccan-style architecture and souks). I'm actively trying to dissuade him only because I'm thrilled to finally be able to visit Morocco without having to spend any time in Casa.

And while I always love to visit Tangier and Chaouen, I think they're both just too far of a hike from Marrakech given our time constraints.

Anyway, I'd love to hear people's thoughts on other destinations I'm overlooking that would make sense -- logistically, geographically, culturally, able to wow a first-time visitor -- to pair with Marrakech. Ideas?
Old Apr 9, 2015, 3:11 pm

Programs: UA ex-1K, AA, SPG, Marriott Rewards, Global Entry
I also grabbed cheap Iberia tix to RAK (will be there for 7 nights). I've never been to Morocco before. From the limited research I've done, I've decided to split my time 50/50 between Marrakech and Fes. The only downside is the 14+ roundtrip train ride but we'll have to deal with it.
Old Apr 9, 2015, 3:37 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by HKQT
I also grabbed cheap Iberia tix to RAK (will be there for 7 nights). I've never been to Morocco before. From the limited research I've done, I've decided to split my time 50/50 between Marrakech and Fes. The only downside is the 14+ roundtrip train ride but we'll have to deal with it.
My advice: A little more Fes (allowing you to do side trips to Volubilis, Meknes) and a little less Marrakech. I was disappointed to hear my Mom say that after her last visit to Marrakech (this time last year), she has no intention of going back. She's very annoyed that they now allow motorcycles into the medina, which understandably wrecks the charm of it. We're still planning to do 2 days in Marrakech because my boyfriend hasn't seen it before.

Or if you're set on a 50-50 split, consider doing some day trips outside Marrakech.
Old Apr 9, 2015, 5:52 pm

Originally Posted by chgoeditor
My advice: A little more Fes (allowing you to do side trips to Volubilis, Meknes) and a little less Marrakech. I was disappointed to hear my Mom say that after her last visit to Marrakech (this time last year), she has no intention of going back. She's very annoyed that they now allow motorcycles into the medina, which understandably wrecks the charm of it. We're still planning to do 2 days in Marrakech because my boyfriend hasn't seen it before.

Or if you're set on a 50-50 split, consider doing some day trips outside Marrakech.
I absolutely love Roman ruins so your suggestion is a great idea!!! Now I need to figure out how to get from Fes to Volubilis, Meknes without being ripped off by taxi drivers. Also trying to figure out what day trips to do in Marrakech. Do you have any other suggestions?

Btw, I've never flown Iberia and was completely floored when they wanted to charge me $3xx for seat assignments (3pp)! I will have to do without and take my chances when I get to the airport.
Old Apr 9, 2015, 6:03 pm
Original Poster

I absolutely love Roman ruins so your suggestion is a great idea!!! Now I need to figure out how to get from Fes to Volubilis, Meknes without being ripped off by taxi drivers. Also trying to figure out what day trips to do in Marrakech. Do you have any other suggestions?

Btw, I've never flown Iberia and was completely floored when they wanted to charge me $3xx for seat assignments (3pp)! I will have to do without and take my chances when I get to the airport.
My first trip on Iberia, too. (Or at least, my first trip in years.) I think our tickets came out to $780 each once we reserved seats on all four legs. Still a great price considering I have a friend who just paid $1100 from ORD to MAD and that's a steal.

Are you staying in a riad in Fes? Most will be able to recommend a local guide who can also drive you to Volubilis and Meknes. We stayed in Meknes on my last trip, and got a guide for half a day to Volubilis and Moulay Idriss for something reasonable -- maybe $60? I haven't used them, but this place has great reviews on TripAdvisor. Generally speaking, I've had great luck with TripAdvisor reviews/ratings for Morocco.

Are you taking the train both ways between Fes and Marrakech?

RE. Marrakech excursions, you should certainly consider a day trip to Ouarzazate, which would give you the chance to also see the High Atlas Mountains and Ait Ben Haddou (which you've probably seen in the movies if you've every seen a movie ostensibly set in the Middle East or during biblical times). It's a UNESCO World Heritage Site (as is Fes medina, Marrakech medina, Volubilis and Meknes). Thanks to Hollywood, it's one of the best preserved spots in the area.
Old Apr 10, 2015, 12:43 pm

My first trip on Iberia, too. (Or at least, my first trip in years.) I think our tickets came out to $780 each once we reserved seats on all four legs. Still a great price considering I have a friend who just paid $1100 from ORD to MAD and that's a steal....
I'm taking my chances with the seat assignments since I'm paying the entire trip for 3 ppl . I called Iberia and they told me if everyone is under the same booking, they will seat people together. We shall see.

I am staying in a riad in Fes. I reached out to the riad to see if they can provide a driver/guide to Volubilis and Meknes and am also looking at the tour group company you had suggested. In the meantime, another good option would be to take a train to Meknes and book a taxi from there (an hr away I think). What do you think of this option?

Yes, I'm taking a train both ways between Fes and Marrakech hence the dreadful 14+ hrs. Will be booking train tix in the 1st class, so hopefully that will be more comfy.

Again, taking your advice and looking into Ouarzazate. There are CMT buses that can get us there from Marrakech. With the bus schedules, it will give us 4 hrs onsite before having to take the bus back to Marrakech. Is that enough time? Hopefully I can buy the bus tix online. I saw that ppl with foreign credit cards were not able to book online.

Thanks again for all your suggestions! I have never been to Morocco so any advice will safe me a lot of trouble! ^^^^

Last edited by HKQT; Apr 10, 2015 at 12:51 pm
Old Apr 10, 2015, 1:03 pm
Original Poster

I am staying in a riad in Fes. I reached out to the riad to see if they can provide a driver/guide to Volubilis and Meknes and am also looking at the tour group company you had suggested. In the meantime, another good option would be to take a train to Meknes and book a taxi from there (an hr away I think). What do you think of this option?
Definitely doable. You'll find local guides congregating around Volubilis, so could always hire one onsite.

Yes, I'm taking a train both ways between Fes and Marrakech hence the dreadful 14+ hrs. Will be booking train tix in the 1st class, so hopefully that will be more comfy.
Are you doing the overnight train? If you're doing the day train, I'd honestly suggest you either rent a car and drive (very manageable if you have GPS, a good map and/or speak decent French) or that you book a tour that takes you from Fes to Marrakech (or vice versa). For a 7-day trip you're spending a lot of time on the train. If you rent a car, you'd be able to swing through Meknes, Volubilis, Rabat, Casa, etc.

Again, taking your advice and looking into Ouarzazate. There are CMT buses that can get us there from Marrakech. With the bus schedules, it will give us 4 hrs onsite before having to take the bus back to Marrakech. Is that enough time? Hopefully I can buy the bus tix online. I saw that ppl with foreign credit cards were not able to book online.
I'd honestly skip the bus to Ouarzazate and do a guided excursion. You'll miss Ait Ben Haddou, which is one of the gems in the area. I've only been to Ouarzazate once (overnight) and my recollection is that the town itself wasn't that big of a deal unless you like fossils, in which case there are a number of stores to check out. Also, there is the movie studio, though I'm not sure if it's open to tours. Might be worth further research.

Thanks again for all your suggestions! I have never been to Morocco so any advice will safe me a lot of trouble! ^^^^
Definitely read the other Morocco thread here...a lot of great accumulated advice over the years.
Old Apr 21, 2015, 7:58 am

Are you doing the overnight train? If you're doing the day train, I'd honestly suggest you either rent a car ....
Unfortunately there are no overnight trains from Marrakech to Fes...I don't know if I am comfortable to drive so train is the best option for me...

I'd honestly skip the bus to Ouarzazate and do a guided excursion. You'll miss Ait Ben Haddou, which is one of the gems in the area.
Thanks! I'll look into a day trip with a guide...will be a looonggg day though...
Old Apr 21, 2015, 10:44 am

Programs: Statusless and proud
chgoeditor I personally love Essouira, not necessarily for the beaches, which are fine I suppose, but more for the fish market and assorted restaurants right on the water.

I personally thought the ride from Marrakesh to Zagora was pretty gorgeous the whole way. We stopped in Ourzazate just for lunch, but found it nice. Zagora (as you probably know from having been there) isn't too much to write home about, but a trip out to the dunes at Chegaga was a highlight of my trip too.

I'd do Essouira personally, just because it doesn't look like you've been there and it's a nice bit of variety from Marrakesh.

Chris
Old Apr 25, 2015, 7:59 am
Suspended

If he is interested in Casa so much, I think Fes might grab him. The old city is killer, but as you said, its a good launching base to boot. Buses to and from the cities you mentioned are easy and it sounds like you have a good understanding of the country. Just spending a day in Fes, a day in Volubilis, and a day in Meknes will soak up your time there, not to mention travel to and from Marrakech (you might want to get there the night before your flight?)

What about seeing the market in Azrou thats on Tuesdays? Its not only quite the experience, but it allows you to see/understand Berber culture. An easy day trip from Fes or combined with a trip to Meknes. Have him get a hair cut there

My rec would be to see Marrakech, Fes, Volubilis, Azrou market, Meknes (and Berber walled old city). That would easily fill up a week itinerary and give you a great feel of the many shades of Morocco. Berber, French, Arab, Old, New, Desert, Mountain.

Last edited by FlyerTalker55; Apr 25, 2015 at 8:04 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.