Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Africa > Africa
Reload this Page >

South Africa: ACSA to enforce hand luggage regulations!

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

South Africa: ACSA to enforce hand luggage regulations!

Search this Thread

Old Feb 25, 2015, 7:44 am

Programs: UA Gold, HH Diamond, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by jonnykanzen
Went through JNB on Monday with 3 pieces of hand luggage. Nobody batted an eyelid
glad to hear this. I'll keep an eye on this thread. I'm not planning a trip until next year, but it is so much easier to use JNB as a base for the rest of my trips to various African countries.
Old Feb 28, 2015, 2:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Just to add my observations:

Lots of signs, banners, posters and bag size checkers. There is also a lengthy, verbose, oft-repeated and annoying announcement. Apart from that, nobody gives a hoot.

Most peculiar. Unless there is a grace period and they plan to commence enforcement in the near future, this all seems like an exercise in futility, and a waste of money and resources.

Johan
Old Mar 9, 2015, 12:25 am

Programs: Mucci des canapes, Skywards Gold, BAEC, IC Plat Amb, LH FTV
Experience this morning in JNB domestic checking into SAA Airlink. Carrying a backpack within guidelines (only just). No comment, no measuring or weighing. Some suggestions that you are more likely to attract attention with obviously large bag.
Old Mar 9, 2015, 10:02 am

Programs: AA, onePass
Can someone speak to what constitutes a 'slimline' laptop bag?

I've googled slimline laptop bags and they range from just sleeves to what is called a 'slimline' LT bag....anyone have dimensions or anecdotes?

Most women use totes for their laptops.

And is the LT bag included in the weight allowance?

I have 2 Airlink segments to and from Kruger that do not connect to international flights so want to be prepared.

Also I see overcoats are considered hand baggage ...... What if you are wearing a jacket?
Old Mar 12, 2015, 6:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Can't answer your questions, but there's still nothing to worry about.

I'm currently in transit at JNB, with a backpack and a gearslinger that would have been compliant had I not crammed them so full. Security nor anybody else showed any interest in them whatsoever.

Johan
Old Mar 12, 2015, 1:16 pm
Original Poster

I'll be through there in a couple of days and will report. Got a lot of folks traveling with me who will have a lot of stuff. Gonna try and test the limits and see.
Old Mar 20, 2015, 4:50 pm

Programs: All of the Above
Any update from anyone on enforcement? Would this be enforced if just a long connection from Int flight to Int flight?
Old Mar 21, 2015, 6:27 am

Been through JNB 3 times in the last week. No real enforcement in the airport but be prepared to have excess bags removed at the plane door if travelling on SAA.

Came through Cape Town and it was more strict, they were turning people back before security with gauges being used.
Old Mar 22, 2015, 11:55 am

Programs: AA, onePass
Re: excess bags.......weight/size or number of bags?????
Old Mar 23, 2015, 10:39 am

Originally Posted by nalismom
Re: excess bags.......weight/size or number of bags?????
In Johannesburg - number of bags.

In Cape Town - size and number, with the gauge being used.

I can't remember weight ever being checked.
Old Mar 29, 2015, 10:46 am

Passed through CT again yesterday. Anyone who made it to the top of the jetway with 2 bags had their rollaboard taken off them and tagged.

The jist if it was it was bags tagged or offloaded.

I was pretty much the last to board and there was plenty of room on board.
Old Apr 10, 2015, 4:57 pm

Through Cape Town International again yesterday with the family and enough hand luggage to resupply a garrison (haven't yet hacked the travel light with young kids thing) - no-one batted an eyelid. As far as I can tell, this is basically a non-issue which has been absurdly overplayed.
Old Apr 16, 2015, 9:32 am
Original Poster

Sorry for the delayed update.

Over the past month -

IAD-JNB - @IAD nobody cared how much we carried on and we had a LOT of stuff (7 carried on bags for 4 people).

JNB-CPT - @JNB boarding domestic flight - no issue. Lots of sizer stands everywhere, nobody asked/cared even with the same large amount of stuff we carried on from IAD-JNB no issues or questions at international to domestic re-check, security checkpoints, gate or plane door.

Couple of back and forth flights - light carry on load (one shoulder bag) - CPT-JNB-CPT - saw the sizers all over the place, nobody cared or did anything either at check-in, security checkpoints, gate or plane door.

CPT-JNB-IAD -

@CPT check-in - no issues. Lots of bags checked as well as a large amount of carry on stuff (carry on's were 2 per pax, 4 pax total, all large shoulder or carrier bags except one large briefcase). They could have easily nailed us, I was most worried here just on the sheer amount of stuff we presented with as "carry on." Yeah, we were bringing back a lot of stuff.

@CPT security checkpoint (domestic) - didn't see sizers.

@CPT "domestic boarding" downstairs - they had a sizer and a guy standing at a digital scale and he seemed to be randomly grabbing people to weigh their hand luggage / carry on's. Though I saw the scale guy stop a couple of folks and weigh their bags, I didn't see him or gate staff "stop" anyone from actually bringing the stuff on board as carry on though. Nobody seemed to be using the sizers.

@JNB domestic to international security/passport control - nobody checked, no sizers noticed.

@JNB US-IAD bound flight secondary security - Still moving along with the eight large carry on's mentioned above (see CPT-JNB) - no issues, no sizers, they confiscated my kid's (less than 50 mil) hand sanitizer container and made him and his brother take off their shoes and socks (but not me). They barely opened my hand luggage. No sizers in evidence. No observed concern about number or size of carried on items.

@JNB US-IAD bound flight gate and plane door - no issues.

Last edited by jsnydcsa; May 20, 2015 at 10:09 am
Old Apr 17, 2015, 8:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by jsnydcsa
they confiscated my kid's time (less than 50 mil) hand sanitizer container.
You gotta love the consistency!

I personally have no need for amenity kits, but usually take them with me to hand out to friends and colleagues who fly longhaul economy. On a recent trip I ended up with 11 kits in my hand luggage, if not more. Each of these kits contained various lotions and other liquids, yet I sailed through security at a whole bunch of African and European airports, including some which displayed huge signs at the checkpoint detailing the liquid restrictions.

Go figure!

Johan
Old Apr 17, 2015, 12:26 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by jsnydcsa
they confiscated my kid's (less than 50 mil) hand sanitizer container
I corrected my mis-type and deleted the word "time" - nonsensical.

Originally Posted by johan rebel
I personally have no need for amenity kits, but usually take them with me to hand out to friends and colleagues who fly longhaul economy.
I wish I had friends like you. I actually like the kit-bags themselves for storing various electronic knick-knacks. E.g. all of a particular device's wires, bits, etc. in one bag, then another for another device.

With all the sizers around, I could easily see this as being used by someone / some staff as a way of arbitrarily enforcing the rules. About 2 years ago, wife and kids traveling with me and we had a LOT of carry-ons (some too big, even by my standards) plus a BIG pram, the greeting FA at the door of JNB-CPT domestic flight was just in that kind of a mood that day and punitively gate checked just about everything. She actually ended up doing us a bit of a favor b/c the kids were so rambunctious, wife and I had our hands full with them rather than dealing with luggage.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.