Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Africa > Africa
Reload this Page >

South Africa: ACSA to enforce hand luggage regulations!

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 3, 2015, 2:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC Super Elite, Radisson Platinum, Accor Platinum
The stupidity of the SA government (agencies) never ceases to amaze me.

Among all the airport-related problems (lazy staff, staff discriminating against white people, aggressive "orange coat" workers, frequent issues with checked baggage being stolen) they choose to harass pax with slightly overweight / oversized baggage. Why not leave the responsibility with the airlines? (which have an incentive to enforce the rules so they can collect additional baggage fees).

I certainly have very little interest in ever checking baggage to /through a SA airport and have travelled to SA a half dozen times with hand baggage only.

Based on SA's economic performance one would assume they would look for ways to make the pax experience more pleasant.
Old Feb 3, 2015, 2:40 am

Originally Posted by Jasper2009
The stupidity of the SA government (agencies) never ceases to amaze me.

Among all the airport-related problems (lazy staff, staff discriminating against white people, aggressive "orange coat" workers, frequent issues with checked baggage being stolen) they choose to harass pax with slightly overweight / oversized baggage. Why not leave the responsibility with the airlines? (which have an incentive to enforce the rules so they can collect additional baggage fees).

I certainly have very little interest in ever checking baggage to /through a SA airport and have travelled to SA a half dozen times with hand baggage only.

Based on SA's economic performance one would assume they would look for ways to make the pax experience more pleasant.
When uncertain about a decision of a SA governing agency, I default to a single explanation: There was some financial incentive to someone for doing so.
Old Feb 3, 2015, 8:34 am

Programs: BA BD SA
Originally Posted by DBCme
When uncertain about a decision of a SA governing agency, I default to a single explanation: There was some financial incentive to someone for doing so.
Ah, indeed: Occam's Razor!
Old Feb 6, 2015, 1:21 am

Programs: BA BD SA
This was in the latest Swiss newsletter:

As from 2 February 2015, Airports Company South Africa (ACSA) will assist airlines with re-enforcing a stricter hand baggage policy of one piece at 7kg and a *slim line laptop bag or a small hand bag.

In effect, only two items are allowed. The dimensions for the 7kg bag should be: 56cm (L) x 36cm (B) x 23 cm (H); total dimensions 115cm including handles and wheels.

Travellers who don’t meet these requirements will be sent back by ACSA security to the relevant airline’s check-in counters.

* A slim line laptop bag is specifically designed to fit a laptop and a charger, not clothing and documents.
Oddly no mention of 2 bags for J pax.
Old Feb 6, 2015, 10:42 am
Ambassador: World of Hyatt

Location: UK - the nearest airport is named after a motorway !
any experiences yet? and are they weighing or just sizing?

We're a few days post 2/2, so has anyone experienced the new regime? And are they weighing all bags, or just checking vs the sizers? I go regularly through JNB with only carry-on, but I use a small (enough) roller combined with a small (enough, I hope) laptop bag... but who can get a roller under 7kg??
Old Feb 6, 2015, 12:41 pm

Programs: AA, onePass
How does this apply to flying BA JNB to LHR - please tell me we are not restricted by ACSA when BA has the most generous cabin baggage allowance.
Old Feb 7, 2015, 5:18 am

Programs: VS Silver, BA Blue - finally; but hotels.com Gold :)
I'll watch how this unfolds. The 7kg limit is too restrictive (why I never flew VS for years).
I suspect workarounds will develop for those of us with bags within the dimension limits ... such as wearing a coat with big pockets for stuffing with books / big lens if asked to weigh-in

It really is getting very hard for me and the wife to actually travel to (and in) SA now. And if ever our ex-SA flight goes tech and is delayed overnight she overstays the new visa limits.
Old Feb 7, 2015, 7:36 am

This doesn't sound too bad, although I also deplore the tendency of the SA authorities to regard themselves as particularly special snowflakes.

'One (1) bag plus one slimline laptop bag per economy class passenger
Two (2) bags plus slimline laptop bag per business/first class passenger
No bag should exceed these dimensions: 56cm + 36cm + 23cm (total dimensions of 115cm)
Weight limit per bag: 7kg
Passengers who exceed the hand baggage limits will be subject to the specific airline’s excess baggage rules'

Anyway, the devil's in the implementation; I have a flight CPT - JNB tomorrow, and will report back as to whether my impressions are still so sanguine
Old Feb 8, 2015, 1:38 pm

Here's my experience:

It was completely unproblematic. When I checked my bag with SAA, they also weighed my hand luggage and tagged it with date and weight. That's it. No-one else involved; no ACSA drones running around dealing arbitrary carry-on justice. Because your first point of contact is your airline, they will decide what's acceptable.

The only question I would have is: what if you don't check a bag? then who's running the rule over your hand luggage?

Also, for what it's worth, I read an article in the local Sunday Times (not the world's most reliable organ, it should be noted) that claimed that the airlines were collectively behind this clampdown.
Old Feb 9, 2015, 5:39 pm

I'm a photographer when in Africa and am carrying lens and camera body equipment worth $20,000 and camera bag will weigh close to 30 pounds. Historically, all I have to do is show equipment. SAA says they can't take that liability in hold and allows me on. If they were to enforce weight, many photographers would be going ballistic as my gear is common for safari. I will be watching to see how this is enforced!
Old Feb 9, 2015, 5:50 pm

Programs: UA Gold, HH Diamond, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by Buddy Eleazer
I'm a photographer when in Africa and am carrying lens and camera body equipment worth $20,000 and camera bag will weigh close to 30 pounds. Historically, all I have to do is show equipment. SAA says they can't take that liability in hold and allows me on. If they were to enforce weight, many photographers would be going ballistic as my gear is common for safari. I will be watching to see how this is enforced!
Am planning a trip to Southern Africa next year. I have about $20k in camera equipment. I was planning to use JNB as a base for flying to several different countries. Now unless it's changed I'll choose a different country.
Old Feb 11, 2015, 3:30 pm

Second experience, flying Emirates out of JNB: no-one so much as looked at my hand luggage at all at any stage. So it really seems as if it's up to the airlines.

All in all, I wouldn't worry about this, and think all of the concerns expressed in this thread are overblown. Most likely, it's just something to have in place to allow the airlines to reign in some of the more outre excesses: 'look, it's written here...rules is rules....'.

These rules have always existed, but most times more honoured in the breach than the observance. Seems to be just a way to remind people that, look, there are limits, and try to swing the pendulum back from the anything goes mentality.
Old Feb 12, 2015, 1:19 am

Programs: QR Platinum, TK Elite
Flew out of JNB last Sunday. Did not see a single ACSA agent.
Old Feb 25, 2015, 2:22 am
09R

Went through JNB on Monday with 3 pieces of hand luggage. Nobody batted an eyelid
Old Feb 25, 2015, 2:58 am

Originally Posted by Cheetah_SA
Ah, indeed: Occam's Razor!
^

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.